Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new tank pics- finally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new tank pics- finally
    Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:06pm

Okay, so I suck at taking digital pics. This tank is only about a month old with 3 green chromis, a fromia star, 10 hermits, couple snails, and a kenya tree frag. Some of the crabs, the starfish, and a kenya tree frag came from a 5 gallon hex that I took down. The acrylic rod across the top keeps the plumbing from falling into the water. I am going to make a nice stand and canopy soon with jfinch's help and the plumbing will fasten to it. I have a SCWD on this tank so I wanted the water to come at the corals from the front corners rather than reflecting off the glass. I have 3" of Carib-Sea Seafloor and about 35lb of live rock in the tank. I left quite a bit of open room for corals to grow out and for fish to swim above the corals. Ryan Williams built the overflow for me and Jon Finch let me use his diamond bit to drill the bottom. Thanks to both of you! This tank is a 25 gallon with a 10 gallon sump/refugia. I used Aquarium Silicone from the paint dept. at Home Depot for the overflow and the refugia. It seems to hold very well. I filled the overflow up with bio-balls to help with noise. I also made a cover for the overflow for looks and noise. A lot of work went into this little tank but when its done, it'll be awesome! I only plan on putting sps and some lps in it. I plan on getting a double ended 250 watt Aqualine Busch 10000 K halide and 2 18" VHO actinics for it. I have a DYI skimmer that Ryan Williams made for me and as you can see, its working like a champ. I have a RIO 17HF for a main pump, that I am thinking about replacing with either a Dolphin or a Mag. I have a 50 watt heater in my refugia because its too big to fit in my sump. I have a DYI top-off that Jon Finch made for me a long time ago. You can see the float switch from one of the pics. Right now, I am using two 55 watt PC's with a Workhorse 7 ballast and some DYI endcaps. Its pretty ghetto looking right now, but it'll improve in the future. Thanks!

Edited by Marcus
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:10pm

The SCWD and overflow.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:12pm

This is my cluster f*** of wires and my sump. When I get my stand built, it will look cleaner.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:13pm

This is the drain and return plumbing.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:15pm

More sump and skimmer pics.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:19pm

Skimmer cup. Working great! Thanks Ryan Williams!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:20pm

The float switch that Jon made. Thanks jfinch!!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:23pm

The refugia. I originally filled it up with tap water which is why I think I had such a diatom bloom. I have done one water change so far with 10 gallons of R/O and I plan on doing them once a week for the next month to help with the algae.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:36pm

The complete pic as is sits now. I can't wait to get this mess cleaned up!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 5:56pm

Looks very good marcus.

Have you ever started up a tank without having a diatom bloom early on?

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 6:19pm

Looks good to me too Marcus!

I was wondering your reasoning for wanting "the water to come at the corals from the front corners rather than reflecting off the glass."?  And, what kind of light do you have on the refugium?

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 7:12pm
Thanks guys!

Jon, I have set up tanks with much smaller diatom blooms.

rstruhs, Are you familiar with they way that SCWDs work? They change the direction of the water every 10 seconds or so with the flow that I have. I feel that if the water was reflecting off the glass, it wouldn't be as much of a change in direction than if it came straight at them.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 7:14pm
rstruhs, I have a home depot screw-in 8 watt UV bulb that is supposed to be 6500 K. I haven't seen them at Home Depot for over a year. They used to be in a blue plastic package rather than in a green one.
leviwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leviwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 11:14pm

Looks pretty good to me. Lots of new ideas

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2004 at 6:35am
Marcus, how long have you been using your SCWD (squid)?  I recently found one from Foster Smith (They said they were a new item) and was thinking about getting one.  Obviously you must like it!
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2004 at 7:47am
Originally posted by rstruhs rstruhs wrote:

Marcus, how long have you been using your SCWD (squid)?  I recently found one from Foster Smith (They said they were a new item) and was thinking about getting one.  Obviously you must like it!

I've been using a squid for about 6 months, and love it.
Just make sure you get a pump large enough to compensate for the back-pressure.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2004 at 1:02pm
I have only had it for about a week or so. I got it for x-mas. I like it so far.
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2004 at 10:01pm
Very cool tank!
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
Danny Lueck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Lueck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2004 at 10:06pm

he forgot to mention the gift giver....
"Ask not what your REEF TANK can do for you!!"

[email protected]
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2004 at 12:14pm

Hey marcus, is that the rock I traded you on the far right bottom?  Looks good.  I still need to build my sump set up...  Keep us posted.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic