Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garlic and Fish again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garlic and Fish again
    Posted: January 06 2004 at 1:19pm

Well I know it has been discussed before, but I would like to bring it up again. I've heard the theory behind garlic but it has never made sense to me.  I mean what a bunch of made up crap. 

Well over the last few weeks I was testing some new foods in my tank and playing around with my "recipe".  Well overnight two of my fish looked bad and had some serious ich.  One of those fish was my wife's Moorish Idol.  She wasn't happy to see her fish swimming lethargically and gasping for oxygen.  Needless to say it didn't look good. 

I switched back to my other food (the food we made at the last meeting) and used it for two days.  I was amazed to see that both fish look as good as they did before the incident.  I'm a skeptical scientist and it takes a lot to convince me of something, but I am really starting to believe in this garlic stuff.  I've seen it first hand in a few tanks now.  I can't think of anything else that could have caused the drastic change in their health. 

For those of you who are making your own food, I would encourage you to add garlic; at least to your fish food but maybe not for your coral food.  As hard as it is to believe, maybe it is a miracle cure?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 1:36pm
It's worked for me every time. I dose it in my personal recipe of food that I feed my fish/tank on a daily basis. I've never had a fish with a parasite (ich, etc)since. I have used Kyolic from GNC for over a year. It's easy to dose (a dropper) and it's fairly inexpensive for how long it lasts.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you've finally come around to the idea... Just kidding.

Edited by Ryan Willden
kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 1:39pm
Do you this crushed garlic from the supermarket would be OK? It was the best I could find and seems to be OK.  The GNC at the University mall did not have the liquid garlic.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 1:53pm

I never use the Kyolic it didnt work for me i went to harmons and went into the health food section and got some pure 100% garlic oil and use that and that stuff works GREAT!

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 2:03pm
Eric, That's strange. It's always worked great for me. Wonder why it didn't work out for you. Anyway, it's convenient, and easy to use. I never used the oil because I thought it might leave a slick on the water surface, but I've never used it, so I wouldn't know.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 2:22pm

... still waiting for an ich outbreak to "test the theory"...

Edited by jfinch
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 2:23pm
Adam, you wrote, "I mean what a bunch of made up crap." Which makes me believe that you don't like the use of garlic. Then you wrote, "but I am really starting to believe in this garlic stuff." I take it that you do believe in it now?

Kyolic has worked for me as well. I had also had the Garlic gel caps from the health food store that I have cut open and used.

I used to buy the large flats of brine, krill, and mysis. Then I would open all the packages and thaw then all out together in a large bag in my fridge. I would then add a bunch of flake food, Kyolic Garlic, and Zoecon (or Selcon, whatever I had at the time) and freeze them again in smaller zip lock bags. Whenever I had to feed, I would just snap off a chunk, thaw it in a cup and dump it in. It has worked for me.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 3:07pm

Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

Adam, you wrote, "I mean what a bunch of made up crap." Which makes me believe that you don't like the use of garlic. Then you wrote, "but I am really starting to believe in this garlic stuff." I take it that you do believe in it now

Yeah I'm starting to.  The reasoning for it is still sketchy, but regardless of why, who cares it works.  I've used it in my foods for a while and I don't see any reason not to use it.  Does anyone see a reason not to use it? 

But trust me 10 years ago this sounded like a bunch of crazy snake oil miracle cure made up stuff to sell you a product.  But after much hesitation, I have to promote it now.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 3:16pm
I agree Adam, right on!
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 5:37pm

Well it comes in a bottal just like lugols iodine does, so its very easy to use no mess.

also i mix up a batch of it with some good flake food in a old flake food container i do 25 drops to half a cup of food i mix it real well(making the food mussy) then i let is air dry mixing it when i can remember the food will dry out then its ready for action, i also have used it wet works well that way to just smell more this i have seen work the best over kyolic its about $8.00 for it but works wonders.....

Edited by FIRE SHRIMP
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2004 at 8:14am
Sounds like those of us using garlic are at least using the same technique. Marcus and I do it the same way. I just break a chunk off and throw it in the sump. Then I watch all the fish attack the return lines of my sump as it spews into my main tank. Works great!
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2004 at 11:57am
I have also had great success using garlic. I started using it whenever I'd notice a little white dot on one of my fish or as a preventative measure during periods of stress (such as power outages or when adding new aquarium residents). I now use it everytime I feed. Just though I'd add my two cents worth, based on my personal experience...

I started by mixing tiny amounts of fresh garlic with my fish food, because that's all I could find and I needed a cure fast. It cleared up those little white dots overnight! When I got more time, I searched for Kyolic in the dropper bottle, but found that the GNC store near me doesn't carry it.

After doing quite a bit of research online, I came across Kent Garlic Xtreme, which comes in convenient dropper bottle. I know that Aquatic Dreams in Ogden carries it. (Other LFS may as well?) This product is great!!

In addition to helping with Ich, garlic can also be helpful when fish won't eat. Here's an exerpt from the Garlic Xtreme package:
Directions: Add 2 drops per teaspoon of fish food each time you feed. Use particularly if parasites are present or if fish have visible wounds or infections. If fish are not eating, Garlic Xtreme may also be added to the aquarium at a rate of 1 drop per 10 gallons.

Use and Interaction: Kent Garlic Xtreme is an all natural food additive for all ornamental fishes. It is a natural attractant for fish and will help cause finicky eaters to take food. Garlic is safe for all species of marine and freshwater fishes and plants, live corals, and other invertabrates. Because Garlic Xtreme is very strong and fish are extremely sensitive to chemical cuses and scents in the water, it is not recommended that you exceed 2 drops per feeding...

(Garlic Xtreme contains 99% Allium Sativum Extract [garlic juice]. If you use other forms of garlic, this same general info is still true.)

I use one drop with each small cube of frozen brine shrimp (along with Kent Zoe). I use the same mix when feeding my corals, and it doesn't appear to have any negative effects.

I did read somewhere online that using too much garlic in your fish food mix can cause disorientation. In this case, more is not better. Just something to keep in mind.
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 3:23pm

I realize that this is an older thread, but just an update: the kyolic in liquid form is not available at the GNC in Provo/Orem but is around the corner at the Best Earth Health food place on Center.  I'm using it on my tank now.  Thanks again for the heads up Ryan and Mark! (and everybody else!)

Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 3:27pm
You bet!
Marine-Aquatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 5:40pm
Try the garlic from harmons in the health food section its worked wonders for me and i have alot of tangs....
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 7:51pm
So the fish actually injest the garlic? Or it just meds the water. I take garlic pills, and try to eat garlic cloves in my food. Why not just crush a garlic clove into the water. Would they eat that peice? Have you ever licked your fingers after crushing a clove up?  potent
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:01pm
Liquid Garlic Soaked Food. I don't know anyone that has
medicated their water with it. Just follow the directions above.
Any of those methods should work.
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:34pm

does the garlic form matter much, other than ones that contain contrary ingredients? Just curious what the characteristics of kyolic and other liquid forms are that make it more appropriate than raw, concentrate, and dried forms.

Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:39pm
yes Kyolic has a small amount of garlic i but the pure garlic and the only place i have seen it is at harmons it smells like S&#@ but it works i think better then kyolic
[email protected]

Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 9:12pm

The first time that I put garlic in I soaked the food in some tank water and then just dumped the whole cup in.  The fish loved the food but my frogspawn and anemone both sucked all of the way in.  I presume that they didn't like the garlic in the water as much...

Brian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic