Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garlic and Fish again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 7:04am
Brian, you might want to try soaking the food longer. Also, you
should only put enough in there to absorb completely into the
food. I make a large batch of it at a time, and then freeze it.
Then I take a chunk out and stick it in one of those floating food
corrals, and let it melt and feed the fish.

Just one technique. There are many I'm sure.
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 9:43am
That's kind of what i've done now.  My wife wrote off one of her ice cube trays for me, she says that if she ever gets a fish food ice cube in her drink it may be grounds for a divorce!  She loves the fish, just not the smell.  It's one of those trays that make smaller round ice cubes, which works well because I have a smaller tanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 10:07am
Sounds like your wife, and my wife would get along GREAT!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 10:51am
Skyetone, I believe it may have been mentioned before but raw garlic and the prepared garlic for cooking do not seem to work. The garlic must be in liquid form and processed in some way, like the garlic available at health food stores.

Meeshi_Ma, Corals sucking in does not always indicate a negative response. Sometimes it's a feeding response. It's not easy to describe the difference.

As far as I can tell, soaking the food should occur without water. put some drops directly on dry flake food or in a little cap with only the thawed frozen food. Let it sit for a few minutes or even many minutes in the case of thawed frozen food.

My 2 cents
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 4:44pm

I'll have to try it in my fresh tank.... My mom is a vitamin freak, so I shouldn't have much trouble with the source.

Wonder why raw garlic doesn't work, but liquid form does...

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 7:21am
Most people don't eat raw potatoes
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 7:54am

Wonder why raw garlic doesn't work, but liquid form does...

I think that's a very valid question, one that deserves more looking into.

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 8:27am
I think that I would disagree that raw garlic (pressed or juiced or whatever you want to call it) doesn't work. I know, big surprise, Carl doesn't agree with something! I think that it's effectiveness will really depend on the amount used, the form used and the potency of it. Also, define "doesn't work". Do you mean that fish won't eat it or that it does not repel parasites? However, I will agree that it is easier to use the liquid extract.

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 8:42am

I agree with Carl.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 10:58am
That's my stand as well. I've never tried anything but the liquid form because, come on now... Who wants to press Genuine Garlic Cloves for a few drops of Pure Garlic??? It's much easier to buy it in the form I use it in.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 2:54pm

I'm still a fence sitter when it comes to garlic, but I'm slowly getting pushed over.  My father-in-law called me about a month ago worried about one of his fish.  He came home from work to find one of his fish covered in ick.  My first suggestion was No-Ick, but then I remembered garlic.  He had garlic pills in the house so he tried it.  Next day everything's clear... he was surprised.  I've tried it once.  My flame angel had a couple white spots one evening just after I got him.  I don't have garlic "supplements" in the house, but I've always got whole garlic cloves laying around.  So I throw a clove in my press and squeeze it into my food cup.  Mix in some brine shrimp and feed the tank.  The angel is clean the next day.  The infection wasn't bad and could have cleared up on it's own (why I'm still on the fence).  So I start searching around on the chemistry of garlic to find reasons why it might work.  Here's my thoughts on it. 

GARLIC CHEMISTRY:
Garlic has two sulfur rich compounds naturally occuring in the clove.  Alliin, an amino acid, is found throughout the plant cell inner matterial.  Allinase is a protein enzyme found in the cell wall.  Normally these two don't see each other.  When you crush a clove of garlic (or cut it or do anything to break the cell walls) the alliin and allinase react together very quickly to form allicin, pyrovic acid and ammonia.  Allicin (and to a lesser extent, pyrovic acid) is what gives fresh garlic it's smell.  Allicin is also very short lived (especially when heated) and reacts with it's self and other "sulfur compounds" to form diallyl disulfide, diallyl trisulfide, s-allyl cysteine, s-allylmercaptocysteine and other "stinky stuff".  The sulfides are oil soluble (and smell like garlic) while the cysteines are water soluble (and have no smell). 

Allicin is a fairly strong antibiotic.  It's 1/50 the strength of penicilin and 1/10 the strength of tetracycline.  It's also a good antifungal, antiviral and antiparasite compound.  This is why garlic was used way way back in the greek empire times as a healing sauve for wounds.  Unfortunately, as mentioned above, it's a very unstable compound and is really only present in fresh, unprocessed garlic.

The byproducts of allicin, listed above, are also reported to have antibiotic properties, although much less potent then allicin.  Less real science is known when it comes to these compounds.  Everything I could find was put out by someone selling one of the products and wanting to bad mouth the other and praise themselves.  You can find a study to support almost any position.  Kyolic is a mix of the cysteine (water soluble) compounds while the garlic liquid oil extracts are almost all diallyl sulfides.

Take a look at the ingredients on your galic oil.  I've never found one that listed garlic extract (or oil) as the first ingredient.  They are mostly vegatable oil with a small amount of garlic oil (diallyl sulfides) mixed in.  If anyone knows where to find an oil that is mostly garlic please tell.

SUMMARY
(jeez, I'm so wordy I needed a summary)
I would suggest that it's the allicin that possesses the greatest possibility as an anti-ick fighter.  I don't really like the idea of adding vegatable oil to my tank so I will press a bunch of fresh garlic into a container and let it sit for a couple days before mixing it into my food and then freezing.  After a few days I should have a good mix of both sulfides and cysteines (and even a small amount of unreacted allicin).  Just my thoughts.

(thanks for getting through this.  Anyone have other thoughts?) 

Edited by jfinch
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

(thanks for getting through this.  Anyone have other thoughts?) 

Who could possibly add to that!

Fantastic info Jon (if I'm spelling that wrong please PM correction). Not many that can take a subject and apply that much direct science to it.

Makes one wonder about the whole Garlic vs. Vampire thing. Obviously it's got highly antiparasitic qualities, and what's more parasitic than a nosferatu. Either someone in the Fiction genre must have been in on this science and been very creative, or the whole thing's true and the Cloves properties where discovered accidently in the ensuing bloodshed.

Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 8:11am
Skye you can post  my thoughts on this subject-

Garlic has been shown to fight fungus, viral, bacterial  issues. What manner of fighting it is is unclear to me--the long post on this page was quite scientific sounding-I cannot really get the  chemical pathway info-what that guy said was good.

In the health field garlic is  now being recognized  by the cardiologists as a way to bring down  blood pressure and  cholesterol.
How it works is  not something I know. I think raw, oil in capsules, kyolic or  any other kind will do the same thing. Even if people just eat it cooked it works seemingly.

The thing that makes people pick one garlic or the other is whether it will make them smell. People dont want to have bad odor and  everthing but  kyolic garlic will  cause this. It is funny though that if 2 people eat food with garlic-they cannot smell each other afterword- but if one person eats it and then joins a crowd he and they can smell it on the person who ate it.

Go figure--but the vampire story didnt stick around this long cuz it was based on nothing. You cannot know if it is true unless the teeth are sinking into your neck--and then it is unlikely you will be telling the truth to anyone else LOL
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 8:18am

Jon,

I've never claimed to be a good splellerer .  But could you check the spelling of some of those compounds for me.  I'm not sure about those compounds, the intermediates, and the acid formations.  Admittedly I haven't look into garlic compounds for a few years now.

Also, I was a much bigger fence sitter than you for years.  Actually I was on the opposed to side of the fence.  The early usage of garlic and the theories behind why it worked just didn't go over well with me.  A lot of people said who cares why it works as long as is it works.  But I wanted some reason that at least made sense.  The recent ideas of Allinase being the active molecule do go over well with me.  It was because of the recent thoughts behind it, that I started believing, and started this whole topic.

Adam 

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 8:39am
Allinase..those darn enzymes must be good for something!

I have worked with folks from a company called Enzyme Biosystems and there are many other companies now looking even more into the value of these types of compounds, some of wich come as a byproduct of bacterial fermentation. Fermentation is the very thing we like to have happening in our aquariums!

Adam, is there a count of the number of enzymes currently known to be working in the human body?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 9:23am

Mark,

I bet there is a number, but I don't know it.  If that number (or estimate) has been worked out, I'm sure a coworker of mine would know it.  I'll ask sometime.

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 12:07pm

No, I was suggesting that the active compound was allicin, not the enzyme allanase, although I have nothing other then the fact that allicin is a good antibiotic to make that judgement.

Alliin (reacting with allanase) ----->  allicin (not a very stable compound)

allicin ---------> diallyl disulfide (and all the other organosulfur compounds)

To better understand, here's the chicken wire diagrams of the molecules:

Alliin:

Allicin:

Diallyl disulfide:

As for spelling, I'm terrible!  I think I've spelled them correctly, unless you're in England then it's diallyl disulphide, not sulfide.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 12:33pm

What about pyrovic acid? Sure about that?

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 1:31pm

pyruvic acid.  CH3COCO2H

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 1:54pm

As for being sure about any of this stuff, I'm not.  I just tried to condense what I've found regarding the chemistry of why garlic might work as an antiparasitic food.  I'd welcome any other ideas regarding why it works.  Most people don't really care why something works as long as it does.  I'm just more curious then most. 

Why is that some claim success using kyolic while others say it doesn't work you should use the oil extracts?  Maybe both work?  Maybe fresh crushed garlic would work better?  Maybe roasted garlic is better (hmmm, pasta)?  Has anyone tried onion or cabbage?  They also contain similar organosulfer compounds.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic