Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any fish that eat flatworms?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lil' man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil' man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any fish that eat flatworms?
    Posted: January 26 2007 at 5:24pm
Hello all,
I am wondering if there is a small fish that will eat flatworms.
I have a mild case of red flatworms that I would like to get rid of.
The tank has pretty good water flow and take good care of it I just dont want the worms to get out of control.
I am kinda hesitant about using chemicals considering that fact that it is only a 5G tank.

Spencer
Rhine Lenhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhine Lenhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 8:19pm
I have heard a manderine Dragonette will.

55 Gal Reef.
30 Gal Fuge.

957-9197
2007 presidency
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 8:56pm
I also think a 6 line wrasse will, but from what I understand it is doubtful that they will get rid of all of them, just most.

Actually didn't Suzy have a chromis that ate some?
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 9:23pm
It is hit and miss; mostly miss. The two that are readily available that might eat them are sixline wrasse and Target Mandarin. A sixline will eat pods and a mandarin does exist on pods but they each sometimes develop a taste for red-planaria which are our common pest flatworms.

Mike

Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:05pm
I have really bad flatworms and I have a six line wrasse and 2 mandarin dragonettes.. So for me it was 0 out of 3. Blue Velvet Nudibranchs eat flatworms exclusively, and the wrasse that is known to help with red flatworms is the halichoeres melanurus which may/may not be reef safe as they may eay crabs/snails but that is the extent of my knowledge on that wrasse.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 9:10am
 I wonder if the red flatworms I had were a different species? I really think I eradicated the kind I had with a mandarin in one tank and a blue chromis in another. I haven't seen one for months....

I really have a lot of zooplankton, and I thought I could support the mandarin, but I have not seen him for a long time.....

Lyscer, I wonder if you just have too many for the fish to eat? If you have a sump, it is really easy to suck some of them out with a piece of acrylic tubing hooked up to a longer piece of flexible tubing to a sock in your sump?

(I don't mean a filter sock, just a plain ol' cheap man sock. I found some new ones at Harmons for $2 bucks and they are huge! They are also great for sucking out valonia!Plus, they are buy one, get one free.
)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Lyscer, I wonder if you just have too many for the fish to eat? If you have a sump, it is really easy to suck some of them out with a piece of acrylic tubing hooked up to a longer piece of flexible tubing to a sock in your sump?

(I don't mean a filter sock, just a plain ol' cheap man sock. I found some new ones at Harmons for $2 bucks and they are huge! They are also great for sucking out valonia!Plus, they are buy one, get one free.
)

When I had flatworms I did the same thing. Syphon them out with a sock on the end of the tube and in the sump. If the pump is on you can syphon all day and the pump keeps the water levels fine.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic