Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10g turns into 37g

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10g turns into 37g
    Posted: January 28 2007 at 6:03pm
Hi guys,

So it didn't take me long to decide to upgrade my tank to a larger one!

Thanks to a WMAS member for a great price--I purchased a 37g tank to replace the 10g that I have at school!

I had some sand already(I kept it alive in a big bucket--there was still cheato living so I figure it was still alive) and I put the tank up with water and the live sand.  It has a HOB Filter and a Heater and one powerhead already working on it.

Hopefully the temperature will be correct tomorrow and I can begin the transfer of goodies into it.

When I bought the lights to my current 10g I bought a larger size fixture then I needed "just in case" this happened!  All smiles on my face!  He he!

HOLY COW--37g is A LOT bigger then a 10!  He he!  The kids tomorrow will be bug eyed for sure!

I can't wait!

Now I am on the look for more rock!  he he... maybe Mark will get a visit soon!

Ryan

P.S.--Sukie--look what you started!  BAD GIRL!  LOL

P.P.S.--I helped another fourth grade teacher setup a F.O. SW in a BioOrb tank.  There is currently a damsel and a clown!(I didn't choose the fish--I would have chosen less agressive buddies)---
Nobody is perfect! I'm a nobody!
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 6:20pm
Ryan I want to see pictures when you get it transfered over!  I'm glad you like the tank!
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by aaaj aaaj wrote:

Ryan I want to see pictures when you get it transfered over!  I'm glad you like the tank!

Me too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 6:29pm
Yes Pictures!  I am a picture guru!  You will see them!

It didn't take me too long to get the tank all cleaned up and ready to roar!

I do want some opinions about---painting the back of the tank black!  Hmm?  If I do I would probably use Tempera paints so I can simply "wash it off"--but---what are your opinions?

What is the best way to transfer the anemone, shrimp, clownfish, corals, hermits, Serpent Star, etc--into the new tank???

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 7:07pm

I think in that narrow of a tank (front to back) I would glue rock to the back. If you don't care to do that then I would paint it black.

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 7:16pm
LOL You're hilarious!!

The question is now - when are you going to get a tank for home??
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 7:28pm
I would get first get your extra sand in it, then empty all of the coral, rocks and fish into buckets, or colors.  Then transfer the rest of the sand rock, fill with water, let the water clear to see what you're doing then add the rest in.  I also would paint the back first as well.  That way you can easily rotate the tank if needed.
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 7:52pm
Can I glue the rockwork "after" water is in it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 9:32pm
I don't know of a way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 9:43pm
I think I will just have to resort to "creative stacking"  he he!

Unless there are other ideas--I already have the tank "mostly full with water" and the sand in the bottom.

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 10:30pm
Here was my schedule:

7:30 am--drained the 10g half way into a bucket.  Mixed in some water from the new tank to help the stuff adjust.
7:45--Time to work on the anemone--to get him off the glass!  LOL
7:55--kids start coming into the classroom and I am stuck with my hands holding a library card slowly getting the anemone off the glass.  I needed to start class so I had a student hold the card while I got the class started on a reading activity.  I put a microphone on my body and taught the next 20 minutes while prying the tough guy loose!  Phew---I got him!  I put him in a bag and floated him and his clownfish in his new tank.
8:30--removed all the coral, critters and placed them into a bucket.
8:45--removed rocks into another bucket. ***Had an emerald crab frighten me.
9:00--put all the live sand from the 10g into the 3/4 full 37g tank.  Dust storm began!(I knew it would)

Then I had to pay attention to the kids!  After all I am their teacher!

10:00--my class went to go read to a 1st grade class--and I got a bit of prep time--so back to the tank...I got the power heads, filters, etc all covered with bridal veil to protect the tank inhabitants.

I wanted to wait until the water was semi clear before I placed the rocks in it so I could aquascape----

5:00pm water was still murky but much better---aquascaping is now done---at least for now--all critters have been set loose.

I can't wait to see the tank and the inhabitants tomorrow morning!  Hopefully they are all happy!  Keep your fingers crossed!

I did take some pictures---and you can't see much because of the water---so I will take others tomorrow!

I was sooo sooo shocked at how much I had in my 10g----it ballooned into the 37g---WOW!  Wait till you see the picture tomorrow and try to picture all that in a 10g!  He he!

Ryan

***I know the only way things were kept healthy was from my very frequent water changes!***And lots of macro!!!

Edited by Greenanemone - January 29 2007 at 10:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 10:34pm
Wow. Busy day. My fingers are crossed!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 12:03am
So I have pictures---BUT----after I get the picture here in the text box and type my message it doesn't go through---I know that the pic size is small enough because it does "show up"--If that makes any sense!

So I will still say--PICS ARE COMING!

Tank looks much better--still needs more rock!

The corals are "starting" to open up!  I need a stronger powerhead(tomorrow I will get one)--

Mr. Anemone is calming down--and starting to look happier--not nearly as happy as he was in the 10g---I think he will be bursting with joy tomorrow however!

I will keep ya posted!

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 12:19am
When uploading the pictures you have to be patient. It does take a while for the picture to show up on the screen.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 12:29am
Mike it does show up!  But when I finish typing the post---nothing happens when I hit "Post Reply"!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 9:41am
Hmmmm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 11:33am
After hitting "Post Reply" it can take a while too. It should still work though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 10:58pm
The zooanthids have finally started to open up!  Hooray!  I have decided to leave the lights on for a few days to let the corals get used to the new conditions and to keep the macro going like bazurks!  I will place the lights on the timers again this weekend.

The Anemone has decided to call a ball of macro home!  He hasn't moves since he crawled there so I guess he likes it!  I went to move the macro out of his way but instead I noticed --that is what he was on.  He has started to open up a lot more then he was yesteday!  Today he was about 6inches across---nothing like his usual 12inch self--but with time I think he will open up.

The peppermint shrimp has went into hiding--somewhere.

The Clown hasn't been back in his Anemone yet--but I think it has to do with the fact that the anemone hasn't really "opened" up much yet.

The hermits are all busy cleaning.  I re-found the clam that came on some live rock.  He is now re-attached to a new spot!  That would be fun if he stayed where he is visible.

I removed some struggling macro(it must not of liked the move it was bleached)---

All in all the tank is looking better hour by hour!

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 12:03pm
Today my BTA actually has bubble tips! I am so thrilled!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Greenanemone Greenanemone wrote:

Today my BTA actually has bubble tips! I am so thrilled!

Cool!Clap

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic