Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1000!!! Mushroom Propagation!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1000!!! Mushroom Propagation!
    Posted: January 29 2007 at 10:39pm
I noticed that if I made one more topic in the corals sections it would be NUMBER 1000--so I had to!

I want to propagate some Mushroom Corals--since I now have a bigger tank---

I will be cutting them up and wrapping them with bridal veil with rock inside....

Any cutting tips--or any other tips?

I love my mushrooms too much to cut them at the time--but I will probably go and buy one so pratice on--unless any of you want to get rid of one in need of cutting!  LOL!

YEAH--1000 topics!

Ryan
Nobody is perfect! I'm a nobody!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 11:13pm

Cut them with scissors or a blade or cut them off of their foot. I don't think I have ever had one die from this. They can even be cut into 4 or more pieces. Sometimes they do drift away in the current though. In a large tank cut them in the tank if you want. In a small tank I would cut them outside of the tank in some tank water if I had more than a few to cut.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 3:48pm
Cool!  I will probablu cut them in a bowl outside the tank anyways--just for the ease of it!  It sounds like a lot of fun!  I can't wait to try it!  PLUS--I do have a frag tank that I built out of acrylic---ha ha ha!

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 3:52pm
Good luck. I think you will be surprised just how easy it is. Thumbs%20Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 10:52pm
Speaking of mushrooms---I was at Aquatica today and in there display tank that had some mushrooms that were over 12 inches!  They were really neat to see!  I thought---golly you could propagate a whole slew of those!

I noticed today that my watermelon Mushroom has a small baby coming out from under it!  I was shocked to see that---it didn't split but rather form a small polyp(for lack of better word) coming out the side.

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 11:11pm
Cool. Now you can  experiment on the big one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 11:16pm
:)

Yes I could!

On my largest Rock in my tank there are some cool blue shrooms--but they are taking forever to grow!

Only recently have I discovered how to feed the shrooms!  ***I am guessing most of you don't***I am nuts*** 

I take a small piece of "meaty stuff" and hold it in place right over the mouth---in about 2 minutes it will start to close up around the parcel and devour it!  Ironically once it closed up---it can get it all into its mouth rather quickly!  My shrooms can seriously increase in size very rapidly when they are fed like this!  My Watermelon is the funnest to feed in this way!  He looks like a huge demented umbrella when he eats!  LOL!

If you havn't tried spot feeding a shroom---it is well worth the patience to hold the food in front of their nose for awhile!

Ryan
Daren Wightman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daren Wightman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2007 at 5:02pm
I usually don't chop up individual mushrooms.  It works well other that it takes a while for them to grow back to size.  They are quite prolific on their own.  They will spread to surrounding rocks.  They hop off their base rock when the population gets tight enough.  I place the single mushrooms in a shallow tray with aragonite gravel/rocks in it and a mesh top.  In a week or two the mushrooms have attached.  You can glue the gravel/mushroom pieces to the rock with CA and they willl attach and spread on the new rock.  I attach ~40 mushrooms to rocks every few months or so.

Daren
300 gallon in wall
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic