Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral issues
    Posted: February 11 2007 at 3:37pm

I have a problem.  I have some corals in my tank not opening up, and some that do.  Right now I have green star polyps, which are doing good, spreading, open ext.  I also have mushrooms, doing fine, opening up... some are starting to split/spread.  I also have a Kenya tree, again opens appears fine. But I have zoos and polyps, and some horsewhip frags.  none of which will open up.  I have not tried any other corals yets, as I want to get apparent problem figured out before I move on.  I have actually had two zoo frags which have completly died.  right now one zoo frag just does not open, same with polyps and horsewhip.  although as of now they dont die, just dont open or grow.

My water tests show fine, no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.  I dont have any algae problems.  My calcium is 400 is, and alk around 7.8, PH around 8.0.  Temp is fine, and salinity is fine.  I have two 150W 14k and one 250w 14K halide. 2 96 w power compact atinic supl.  The tank has been set up and running for aprox. 3-4 months now.  I am not sure what else could be the problem, any ideas???

Thanks for the help!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 3:53pm
My reef really perked up when I over hauled my water flow. Even their colors seem to be getting brighter. I was a non believer about super water motion tanks, but I am changing my mind....
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 4:09pm

Have you changed any water lately?

Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 4:22pm
I did a 40 gallon water change about a 1 - 2 weeks ago.... I did not see any improvment from the change... my tank is 180 gallons, with a 40 gallon refugium/sump.  I have one over flow on a closed loop, the other goes through the sump... Both overflows are pushing 700 -800 gallons an hour I beleive (around that last time I figured it out)  I have also added a modded maxijet 1200.  I am not sure what that pushes.. but I figure at least 500 gph.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 5:57pm
Is the problem corals toward the top. and the corals that are ok at the midway/bottom?

Edited by Holdencraft 33 - February 11 2007 at 5:58pm
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 7:45pm
Dion is thinking the same thing as me.

You have a lot of light on there. How deep is your tank? Zoos can be particularly sensitive to intense light. Try moving them to a lower light area - lower in the tank, or slightly under some rocks. May be that you are just overlighting them.

I used to have dual 400w halides and couldnt keep zoos anywhere in my tank. They would slowly shrink and die. On the other hand, they spread like weeds in my wifes 10 gallon with 96 watts of CF.
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:26pm
well.. the two zoa frags I have lost, one was very low in tank, other was lower with a bit of shade (kinda).  The tank is 24" deep.  The polyps that arent opening, two are lower, roughly 18"-20" down.  and the horsewhips are coming out of the sand.  as far as the lighting goes, one horse whip is under the 250w, the other is under (kinda between) the 150s, The zoa frag I have now came out of my brothers tank, and he has 2 150s, it is about same depth (a little lower) as his tank, and it is under the 150.

And the mushrooms are all lower in tank, the star polyp is actually the highest coral in tank, but is slightly shaded.

Edited by Danielrvb - February 11 2007 at 10:27pm
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:40pm
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:43pm
if you can see in the pictures, where all the corals are... the stars polyps top left, horswhips in sand both sides... and the mushrooms are towards bottom..   The zoas were near top of rock full of coraline algae on right side, and above rock with green mushrooom

btw, those were taken with older bulbs.. they were 10k, now are 14k, and the 250 is on the right side

Edited by Danielrvb - February 11 2007 at 10:44pm
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 11:34pm
Have you tested for iodine?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 1:40am
No I have not tested for Iodine, could that be an issue?  I have not read much about Iodine in regards to corals....
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 3:21am
If it was a drastic problem with water chemistry then I would think that pretty much all corals would be affected. I agree with Suzy, I think you have a problem with flow. In a long tank such as yours GPH does not make much sense since the flow out of the nozzles will quickly drop off in velocity. Turnover is not the only critical aspect of flow, you also have to phsyically move water past the coral to help it in respiration, feeding and excretion. It seems like the return nozzles are at the top and the problem corals are at the lower halfs of the tank? You could look into making the stream mods for maxijets which move a large volume of water without making the water into focussed jets.

EDIT: Doh, just reread that you indeed have a modded maxijet (I assume its the stream mod), but I dont see it in the pics, is it behind the rock work? What is the length of the tank? I think it would be better if you have two of these stream mods, at opposite ends of the tank and about halfway down from the top.

FWIW in my little 20g tank I have a Tunze 6025, 2 MJ900 and 1 MJ400 moving water. The MJs are on a wavemaker and the Tunze is always on. If all of them are on at one time I'd have 1200+gph. But in reality the turnover alternates between 890 and 1000gph (due to the wavemaker timer), but after reading a few articles that Adam Blundell posted on water flow, I dont think GPH is an accurate way of measuring flow (since flow is not the same as turnover).

Edited by sshm - February 12 2007 at 3:36am
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:27am
The pictures were taken before I put the maxi jet in..  The tank looks a little different now,  I plan on getting two more for each corner and doing what you said, But did not think I would need that too much for awhile.. I have put the zoa frag I have now in an area a little in front of the maxi jet, so it is in good flow.  I will see if it improves at all.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:37am

I didn't read this whole thread so this may have already been said...

I would watch phosphate.  I don't know if it affects zoanthids but I've heard from others that it does.  Because of that I added a phosban reactor to my tank a while back and saw drastic improvements with my zoanthids.  That may be coincidence but it was worth trying for me.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:46am
well... I have not tested phosphate either, however I do not have a problem with algae at all,  I do have a lot of snails and crabs, but no algae is an issue
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:05pm
could something be irritating the zoos? something picking at them? If you've noticed polyps disappearing it could be zooanthid eating nudibranches or predatory worms.
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:16pm
well I have seen my lemon peel pick at the zoas and horsewhips.  But I have never noticed him touch the polyps.  And thats why I am confused, about half the corals are fine, the other half dont do well..

Maybe I will have to get a couple more corals to see how others do.  I have a candy coral I bought and put in my brothers tank until mine became more established, maybe I will put it in there, and see how it does.
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 1:59pm
Crabs will eat zoa's!  If there is not enough food for them that certainly can eat them.  I have witnessed it going on in my tank.  At first I thought the perpetrator was just picking at the algae around the zoanthid but then I witnessed it tearing off pieces and eating them.  Out it came and the mystery of the disappearing zoa's solved.  JME......
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 6:51pm
well... I have never seen my crabs eating them.  But of course I am not watching all the time.  Would my lemon peel be enough to keep the closed?  I have seen the horsewhips begin to open until it nips at them.. I just thought there was enough in there that a single fish would not cause them to keep closed, especially completly die
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 7:51pm
When I viewed this thread earlier I couldn't see the pics.  Now I can.  To me it is obvious now.... new tank.  It just looks very barren and in need of nice live rock to get it going.  I'll bet that whatever you do have in the tank (fish, crabs, critters) are just picking at the zoanthids and the zoanthids aren't able to grow because they can't acquire what the want from the water.  I think it just needs time.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic