Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clam troubles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clam troubles
    Posted: February 15 2007 at 12:13pm

The last couple of days my clams have not opened up all of the way.  I went to move my crocea and he had unattached himself to the piece of tile under him.  Not too big of deal, since his bysal gland still looks good.  I moved him and when he opened up more there was a hole underneath his spot.  My cleaner shrimp and neon gobies have been bugging him quite a big and I'm not sure if they could be the cause, or just cleaning up waste.

I also have a deresa who is not opening up all the way either, but no extra hole.  Neither one of the clams have their mouth gaping either.  I did a fresh water dip on both of them, and there are no snails or bristle worms bugging them from what I could tell when I picked them up.

My husband personally believes it's the cleaner and wants to get rid of him, any other ideas?

Oh I have not check the water quality since last sat and then it was good, meaning
ammonia=0
nitrates=0
nitrites=0
calcium 390 which I raised, did not test afterwards but should have been around 420 after what I added
alk 9.8dkh
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Rhine Lenhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhine Lenhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 12:54pm
are you spot feeding green water?

55 Gal Reef.
30 Gal Fuge.

957-9197
2007 presidency
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 1:01pm
I'm not spot feeding, but I do dump in a bunch of phyto every week.

On second look the crocea is gaping CryCryCryCryCryCryCry
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 5:21pm
Any parasites or nasty white snails?

Edit: try a fresh water dip. 

Also I found that clamsdirect helped me a good deal.

Edited by sukie - February 15 2007 at 5:22pm
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 6:53pm
I doubt it is the cleaner (but it could be).

Have you done a water change lately?  Are you running carbon?  Have you change anything with the lights?
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
mlmforsuccess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlmforsuccess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 9:22pm

i would go with what jake says (along with everyone else), but that for clams they require really good lighting (depending on the species) and great water quality and they need to make sure they have adequate calcium as well.  if you have lots of corals it is possible they are sucking the calcium away not leaving much for your friend. 

KP Properties LLC, Real Estate Investor.
12G Nano
Chris, Provo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic