Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Linkia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Linkia
    Posted: February 24 2007 at 11:24pm

Just before Christmas a member was selling his livestock and had a Blue Linkia for sale.  I thought okay the price is right and if it doesn't make it I am not out that much.....  I went over to their home and the Linkia was sitting on the bottom.  He said it had not moved in a couple of days and me not knowing any better said oh.. okay, I will take it. 

Lesson 1.  If it hasn't moved don't buy it!  I brought it home and dripped for 3 hours to acclimate it. 
Lesson 2.  If you are going to acclimate, your delivery container needs to be at the same temp as your tank.  After three hours there can be many degrees difference!
Lesson 3.  Don't give up!  As I was transferring the Linkia from the acclimation container to the tank I noticed a large amount of tissue necrosis on its undersides.  This is not a good sign but I had bought it and put it in the tank anyways.  The next day it disappeared which in my experience is not a good sign especially after a week of no sighting.  We are not talking a little bitty sea star here.  It is large enough I should have seen it somewhere in my tank.  Well I wrote it off as another learning experience.... that is until last week when it reappeared.  It appears to be just fine and it beats the heck out of me where it has been hiding for the last 2.5 months!  It just goes to show that you never know what is going to turn up in these systemsBig%20smile  Now I am not advocating that you all run out and buy one.  This one could die tomorrow but for now at least it is still here.  I never cease to be amazed!

Edited by Gahlenfr - February 24 2007 at 11:26pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 11:41pm
Your Lesson 2 makes me a little curious how you acclimate. 
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 11:46pm
I used to just drip from my tank into the container the animals came in.  After talking with Mark and asking how they did it at MSM for the sensitive livestock, I found that they drip from a system on top to one on the bottom with the container actually in the water so that it is at tank temp.  That is what I do now.  My sump is in the basement and I drip from the main tank to the basement.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 11:52pm
I guess I didn't understand what you were saying about the temperature then.  You said that after 3 hours of acclimation, there can be several degrees difference.  But if you do it the way you mentioned, the temperature should be the same, right?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 12:06am
It's always great to find a lost critter! Clap

Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 12:09am

The first method was in a 16 oz cup.  With no heat in a 16 oz cup after 3 hours it will be at room temp.  If the same cup is in the sump, you are correct it will be at tank temp.  There are some organisms that cannot withstand the instant temperature swing when you dump them in the water.  Most I have found though can just be put in the tank.  I was told and read that sea stars need a slow acclimation so that is how I do it now for those things that need it.  If you look at those sites that offer 14 day guarantees they have very long acclimation times on most things.

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 9:03am
That's awsome Gahlen.  Your tank is a true work of art.  That's what makes this hobby so much fun, always finding new ways and new adventures.  It's good to hear a successful story like yours on star fish. It seems like you always hear negative stories on them.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 9:18am
Just FYI: I've heard that 3 hours is not nearly enough time for Linkias. I've heard about 9 hours. Is that overkill?
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
GSIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 1:32am
How's your linkia doing Jared?  It's been a year since I saw your tank.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 11:39am
I just threw mine in the tank. Ok so I floated the bag for a little while first, then I threw it in. Blue Linkias are awesome, I just wish I saw mine more often.
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
OceanBlueSky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OceanBlueSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 1:26pm
I acclimated mine for 20 minutes and I've had it for a year and a half.  It's very active and is constantly roaming around the live rock.
Arthur
220 Reef, 90 Lightning & RBTA, 7 nano
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 7:40am
I'd rather be safe than sorry and spend some time acclimating them. I guess it's hit and miss with Linkias. I've had mine for over 2 years and it's still quite active.

Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic