Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your experience with a powder blue tang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your experience with a powder blue tang
    Posted: March 03 2007 at 6:21pm
I've always loved these fish. Anyone with experience positive or negative with these? I've got a 90g tank. 30x30x24.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
utahtrotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahtrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 6:32pm
Make sure you have an 18 watt(or more) UV sterilizer. They will get ick. He is the most aggressive, and I've only added a cleaner wrasse since adding him. I would try to have him be your last fish to add. I think if I added a wimpy fish after him he would really harrass it. I love my powder blue.
Diana Aldana
Mapleton, Utah
Schondar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schondar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 6:59pm
Would you post a pic of yours Diana ?and how big is your tank ?and.....what other fish do you have?

125 gallon reef
ASM G1-X
2-250 watt XM 10k's
220 watt vho actinic

Scott Lund---Evanston,Wyoming 1-307-783-5926 cell 1-307-677-0183
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 7:20pm
Just my experance I would make sure to have ozone and a well established tank. I was unsucessful at keeping one and it depressing when it died.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 9:13pm
I have ozone. Would you recommend UV as well?
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
kgwilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 10:25pm
The powder blue is also one of my favorite!  Has anyone had any luck keeping them with other tangs?  I've read that they are pretty hard to keep.  Is this because of their getting ich easily or is it because they just need special attention?
75gal reef /sump/ref 150MH 2 96w CF
Perhaps I would be better at basket weaving. . . at least it would be cheaper!
SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 11:43am
Ich is a given with the Powder Blue in the beginning, feed then some garlic extract to help with ich, deworming and overall health, and the aggression is also a prob, bully of the tank. Kept one for a year then sold him. I've kept them with other tangs, yellow, orange shoulder but never with their conspecifics.
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 12:26pm

I have had this Powder Blue for over 2 years now.  He is easily the biggest fish in my tank and certainly is the ruler of the tank.  He does not really harrass my other fish though.

I have a 180 gallon tank and keep him with nearly 20 other fish including the following other Tangs:  Yellow, Purple, Blue, Tommini, and Sailfin.  Most of the other Tangs are similar in size to the Powder Blue except the Sailfin which is MUCH smaller than him.

I added my Tangs in a sort of strange order.  I started with Yellow, then Purple.  The Yellow bullied the Purple for 3 months until I added the Powder Blue.  Then the Yellow buddied up with the Powder Blue and the two of them left the Purple alone.  I then added the Blue which everyone got along with after the Powder Blue spent a day showing it that he was the boss.  Then the Tommini, which spent a week or so being told by both the Yellow and the Powder Blue who was boss and he's been a member of the team since he learned his place.

Just recently I found a Sailfin Tang as Petco that I just could not live without.  He is a little beauty, but he is less than half the size of the next smallest Tang in the tank.  I thought for sure I would have to remove him and take him to my office tank.  He was told off over and over by the Powder Blue for 3 days, but since then he has been integrated into the group as well.  As I write this they are all swimming together almost in a school and never seem to fight at all.

As for keeping PB's long term, I think the best way is to start with a healthy fish.  I believe this is the secret to my success.  When I bought my PB from Marine Aquatics they had it in there tanks for nearly 2 weeks and it was healthy, free of visible ick and was eating well.  Eric assured me it had been net caught, though I honestly don't know how he knew.  I think this may have a lot to do with it too as those that are caught with Cyanide don't far well in captivity at all.

The use of either UV or Ozone is a good idea as this is the fish that I battle ick with most.  I now have a 40 watt UV sterilizer on my tank and I can occasionally see and ick spot on him still.  Another boost for them is a good cleaner goby.  As you see in the pic my PB loves his little friend.  He spends a lot of time with that guy attached to his side.

I think this fish is worth a try.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 12:55pm
Great pic!  I think I will be trying one soon!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahtrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 5:56pm

I've had my 90 gal tank for just about a year. I do have a ASM G3 skimmer, no ozone, just 18 W UV. I had a 46G for 6 months before that, and started with an oscelaras clown, a flame angel, and a yellow and blue tang. When I upgraded, I inherited a psych mandarin, and a couple others that didn't survive the move. I added a couple anthias and a pipefish. Mr. Pipey just got stuck in the overflow a couple weeks ago and sadly died. CryI did have him about 8 months and he was really fat & happy. I added powder blue next, and he did get ick within the first week. I tried garlic like crazy, and had a 9 watt UV. His ick got really bad, his whole body was lumpy, and I bought an 18 watt UV. Within a couple days everyone looked great, and no more ick. I added a magnificent foxface, probably my least favorite, he's pretty big, and shy, and poops alot.  I then added a cleaner wrasse, and one more, a leopard potters wrasse. So yes, I probably have way too many fish- except Mark Peterson stopped by once and said he thought I could add more, so that's why I got the potters wrasse. Here's a couple pics. It's really hard to get one in focus, they are all very active. The first pic does show the potters wrasse's color- he's very cool

Diana Aldana
Mapleton, Utah
GSIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 7:59pm
Awesome tank!  Looks like that xenia could use some fraggin'.Big%20smile
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 9:33pm
Great looking tank and fish Diana! Thumbs%20Up

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 10:11pm
why don't you like the foxface? I think it's awesome. I never considered those before as I thought it wasn't reef safe or something. Can you tell me more about them?

awesome tank by the way.

Edited by peiji - March 04 2007 at 10:11pm
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by peiji peiji wrote:

I have ozone. Would you recommend UV as well?

From what I understand ozone and uv both kill parasites in the water colum. It would be best to go with just one or the other.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 10:22pm
That is an awesome tank!  I really like your selection of fish!  Could someone explain what ozone is?  I've never heard of it.  You know, that's the second time I've heard that upgrading from a 9w to a 18w made a world of difference!  I think I need to break down and get the 18w.  I have a 9w on my 75 gal and I'm still all the time having problems with ich!   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahtrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 11:05am
I like my foxface, just not as much as a couple others. He was my most expensive fish (75 bucks), and I wish I had just gotten a one spot. I like the bright yellow with the one spot better, and they are cheaper. As for being reef safe, I think mine is- someone, or something is occasionally munching on my zoos. I've really watched, but I'm not seeing any fish eating them. I've really checked for snails, I have found a small white starfish now & then that I've heard can eat them and removed them. I just don't know what's up. Some of my favorite zoos disappear...then they slowly grow back. My friend did have a scribbled foxface that did like zoos, but I think mine is fine.
Diana Aldana
Mapleton, Utah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 8:54pm
I like the bright yellow foxface too.  I used to have one, and he didn't bother any of my zoos, there was too much hair algae to keep him occupied! lol  Oh, and I figured out what Ozone is.  Is that really necessary or is it just another piece of equipment for us to buy?  I think I'm about to buy a 18w UV and link it with my 9w that I already have.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic