Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Future Meetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future Meetings
    Posted: August 10 2002 at 10:54pm

SINCE YOU ARE READING THIS, THEN PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS BELOW ON WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE FOR UPCOMING MEETINGS!!!

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2002 at 7:21am

Adam,

I would be interested in hearing an open forum/discussion on other members basic husbandry techniques. Give some newer members an opportunity to ask questions about setups, etc. (I have some ideas on how this could be done effectively without creating an uncomfortable situation for others that may not know as much about the hobby as they would like. Call me and I'll run it by you. 801-824-4598)

It might be helpful to gather digital pictures from other members setups (Equipment, etc) and compile those into a powerpoint presentation to show the different types of filtration, lighting, etc that some of the more seasoned aquarists in the club have found successful.

I have noticed that all too often newer people, (myself included) have been, or are persuaded to buy equipment that is not necessary, or even detrimental to keeping a reef. Due to the costs of this equipment, often times people are discouraged from investing in such a rewarding hobby. Equipment that is not necessary or detrimental to a reef often seems to cause beginners to abandon the hobby altogether.

Any comments or other suggestions are welcome...

Ryan

tojam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tojam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2002 at 1:06am

I have been wondering about a topic of spawning marine fishes in the aquarium.  I realize there are people in our society that have successfully reared clowns and cardinals and perhaps there are others who have witnessed spawnings and raised other marines.

I noticed today that it seems as if the PetCo here is the primary stocker of tank raised marines.  Makes me wonder why other LFS are not jumping on this all too important bandwagon?

GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2002 at 9:20am

A discussion on Alge control and identification would be helpful. Also, is there other plant life that one can place into the aquarium to beautify and provide nutrients?

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2002 at 10:39am

Okay, I will add another post here.  For tojam---  we certainly do have a few members raising fish.  We are also in the process of bringing in a guest speaker named Todd Gardner.  He is formerly of SeaQuest, the worlds highest producing marine fish hatchery.  He is willing and anxious to discuss the possibilities of tank raised fish.  This would be a great opportunity for many people to learn of the benefits of tank raised and tank reared fish.

For Gonzo---   that wouldn't be too difficult.  We could do a presentation on algae.  Infact, I could have the presentation ready to go in a matter of just a few days.  And yes there are alternatives.  Plus I can go into great depth on the types of algae and how abundant they are.  

If other people show an interest in this idea, then we will plan a meeting for it.  Hopefully we can get some more feedback from other members.

Adam 

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2002 at 11:52pm

I like Ryan's idea.  As a reef newbie, I read everything I can get my hands on.  But there is a lot of information out there that conflicts, especially on net forums.  It would be really nice to hear from experienced reef keepers first hand on what works or doens't work for them. 

Dave

GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2002 at 9:03pm
There was a suggestion a couple of months ago for a meeting on water testing. What we are looking for, how we find it, and what to do when something is not right.

Cortney
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2002 at 4:04pm
I would add to GonZo's mail by getting specific. As in, which water tests actually do a good job and are easy to use. What to test for and it's frequency.
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2002 at 4:14pm

And actually have a suggestion as well.

Talked to "Brine Shrimp Direct" two days ago, ordered some stuff. Got talking to them and asked them if they would consider attending one of the meetings sometime. Got a great response, being that they are in Ogden, they would love to come down with some samples and everything!

So, Adam???

btw: Food arrived yesterday and I already processed it into ready to serve icecubes. Their stuff looked great and awesome packaging.

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2002 at 8:55pm

I'm thinking of getting into the high tech type of setup that is hooked up to my computer.  I would like to know more about that.  Danielle (my wife) just made me a wonderful log book that I would love to share with everyone, but I can't go to the meetings cause I work, and Danielle is a little shy, and I doubt she would be able to talk much about it at the meetings but, she is the only one who can go out of the two of us.  I really wish I could attend the meetings though.

I also know nothing about kalkwasser.  In my reading I have learned to skip all the parts that talk about kalkwasser because it sounds like a pain.  But I really should learn more about it. 

Calcium reactors are something I need to know more about, even though I don't plan on having one very soon. 

I would also like to learn if anyone has had any success with keeping seahorses in a reef tank.  I have had great success with fish that people generally think are difficult to keep, ie.Moorish Idols, and Mandarin fish, but I would like to know if anyone has had luck with seahorses.  I learned a secret about Moorish Idols.......

Also specifics on different setups.  I know everyone has a totally different setup.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2002 at 9:01pm

There are so many people that need to know that there are ample resources for them to have their questions answered. Just last month a person I happened to be standing near was needing answers to a lot of basic questions and did not know who to ask! Perhaps a table could be designated as the place to go to ask your questions. I would be glad to sit at that table. People might be more prone to ask in private than public!

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic