Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank o’ the Month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank o’ the Month
    Posted: January 17 2004 at 7:09am
Hi, wondrous WMAS members! I need to know how everyone feels
about To'M. I'm thinkin' we need to make some changes, but first I
want to know how you feel about this WMAS service.

1) Do people check it out? Every month or just once in a while....

2) Are there people who want to be To'M?

3) Do the people who are chosen to be To'M think I am too pushy?

4) Is being chosen to be To'M an "honor" of sorts, or a burden?

Please, let me know what you think. You can be honest, even
critical. My feelings won't be hurt.

Thanks !

Edited by Suzy
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 8:04am
What about having it be an actual vote for the best looking tank?  You could have the tanks posted at the meeting and vote in an anonymous box or something.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 9:12am
It's an honor and I know someone that wants to be chosen.
I appreciate when the pics are good enough quality to zoom in on them and see some detail.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 11:51am
I check out tank of the month every month.  I also use it and the gallery to show friends pictures of all of the things that can be done with tanks.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 11:54am
I think tank of the month is awsome. It is an honor And Suzy you are great to work with not pushy at all. I always check out tank of the month
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Danny Lueck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Lueck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 12:28pm
Well I thought their was a Tank Of The Year as well.
Tank of the month is a place to feature a members tank NOT a contest to see who has the best looking tank.
or am I worng
"Ask not what your REEF TANK can do for you!!"

[email protected]
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 3:22pm
Danny, I think you are right and I am wrong.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 5:49pm

Yes it deffinately a place to show different ways to set up tanks.  That way people can see tanks and get an idea of what they would like to have.  I would like to expand to tank of the year, and I think that will happen.  We "selected" Steve Lopez as our tank of the year last year, so he isn't eligible this year.  I guess the reason we haven't really jumped at this is because how do we "select" the tank of the year now that we have official tank of the months?

I don't want it to be "best tank" or "best hobbyist tank" or even a "most original tank" or anything like that.  Just a simple no criteria tank of the year.... whatever that means to all of you.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 9:45pm
Tank of the year might be perceived as a contest whereas we all know that there are 12 TOTM's and that's no contest just who's next on the list and available. That achieves the purpose, IMO.
If a vote were called, my vote is not to do a Tank of the Year (though Steve was a great choice! )
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 10:45pm
I also agree that a vote is not in the best interest of the club. It seems to me that the role of TOTM should be to "showcase" members tanks. Not to award anyone for having a better looking tank than someone else.

That's my vote anyway.

Edited by Ryan Willden
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2004 at 8:54am

Chiming in late here, but I just wanted Suzy to know that as a new member, I hope maybe my tank can be considered someday.  Big smile   It's something to aspire to.  Alas, right now our tank is 189lbs of LR, just a few fish, and some coral frags.  Maybe someday, though.

Renee

timothyuhl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothyuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2004 at 9:41am
I've enjoyed looking at the tank of the month images, when they're good quality photos.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2004 at 11:35am
I think that the way tank of the month is run now works well. If we had a tank of the year I think peoples feelings might get hurt. It's like to trying to make everything a competition. There is just to much diversity in this hobbie to say this tank looks better then this tank. Example; differant budgets, differant sizes, differant filtration systems, And differant overall goals. When I look at someones tank I appreciate not only the tank but the method, ideas , and creativity that the owner put into it. That is why I am against a tank of ther year.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2004 at 7:06am
Thanks for your comments,guys! I knew our outstanding WMAS
people would come through!

Here's why I ask: I've found a few problems.....

The way we select To'M (Do you like To'tM better?) is problematic.
Right now, we let the current To'M pick the next month. Almost
every person who has been picked seemed to not really want to do
it. Some came out and told me no: they didn't think their tank was
ready or they were moving it or some other reason. But most people
just stall: don't return my PM's or phone calls, some do but have
numerous excuses why it can't be this week "but they will get back
to me". It's kinda like pulling teeth! Only one person that was picked
by the previous month actually came through. I used to be 2
months ahead! Now, I'm still trying to get February...

Another issue I'm seeing is our wonderful webmaster just had a
beautiful baby. Any person who has just become a parent realizes
how incredibly time consuming a newborn is (Sorry to tell you,Jake,
it's worse/better when they start crawling!). This guy gives so much
to our club, and we don't pay him! To'M is just one more thing....Let
us know how you feel, Jake. If we can help you in any way....

What if we re-designed To'M? I was thinking instead of a monthly
thing, what if we had a "Featured" or "Highlighted Members Tank",
bragged up the tank on the messageboard and then posted them in
the gallery? Members who wanted to show their tanks could PM me ,
I could get the info and pics on a CD and get them to the
webmaster. This would be allow everyone who wants to, to show off
their tank. There would be no pressure on the members, they could
get the pics whenever their tank is at it's ultimate best! It might
relieve Jake from the time constraints of a monthly deadline.

What do you think? Anybody out there wanna have a Highlight/
Spotlight/Focus/Main Event/Feature on their tank?
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2004 at 8:33am
I think one of the drawbacks of TOTM for me was the difficulty of trying to figure out a time to take pictures, etc. because I live so far away (no less trying to figure out what to say about my tank that I felt was "inspiring".) But also, I want to mention that although the timing was poor for me the past few months, I appreciated Suzy's effort in trying to get together with me. Having a new baby myself, and a wife working and going to school full time it is difficult to make time to look at my tank, not to mention trying to find time to let someone else look at and take pictures of my tank. I think TOTM is an excellent addition to our website, but I think it needs to be an easier process for Suzy, and for the people who are picked, to "submit" photos or something. I do want to say Thanks to Suzy, and apologize personally for not being able to find time to help her out with this great program. Thanks Suzy!
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2004 at 10:10am

I would also like to see the "trend" of simply showcasing tanks of Club members become the official policy.  TOTY can be a contest to recognize a really outstanding tank.  I would be willing to offer some pics or whatever is needed to put our tank in the mix . . . . . 

Maybe a sign up sheet at the next meeting for those willing and interested to share their set up with a photographer or at least share pictures. 

Another idea we might consider is a bulletin board format on the message board or at the TOTM button where members can post their own pictures and set up info.  Less work for Suzie, equal access (less an available camera) for all members.  Then set up some online voting process for TOTY.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2004 at 12:03pm
    Thanks, Guys! I think WMAS has the coolest members of any club
anywhere! Who says fish nerds aren't the nicest group around!!

I totally love doing the work for this! I like to see the tanks (to
prove to everybody they really exist!) and do the write-ups!

Jake says he's OK keeping To'M going. He mentioned that maybe
we could just have volunteers who have a tank ready to show off be
To'M. Is that OK with everybody?

I'm thinkin' that anybody who wants to be To'M can just PM
me...that way, we can stay ahead. If you have a cool tank now, let me
know! And if your tank will be cooler in a while, start thinking about
the future!   

If you have a good camera, start collecting pics now! It can be hard
to catch your favorite fish in front of your favorite coral, but when
you do, those are the best shots! (I almost caught some snails
fighting on video, but Rob doesn't think they were fighting!)

Would this be OK with everybody? Anybody object or have any
other suggestions?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2004 at 5:16am
So is everybody OK with having people volunteer to show their
tank? Instead of having the previous month pick the next month?
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2004 at 7:50am
I like the idea of people volunteering better than putting the onus on someone to pick the next one, who may not want to do it. Besides that, there would probably be many people that would like to be TOM but never get picked.  Keep up the good work Suzy.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2004 at 6:31pm

Now that I have some of Suzy's shrooms I am ready for TOTM - well, maybe  Some of us are just  and do not know if their tank is good enough or not.  IMO, mine will never be ready.  I plan on changing, adding, removing things for a good long time!

However, I am willing to PM Suzy!

Thanks for the shrooms and help Suzy!  BTW, you have done a great job in the basement!

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic