Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worms good or bad? please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
t-bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worms good or bad? please help
    Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:35pm

I am setting up a new 24G Nano cube and I just added some new live rock last weekend. After i added the new rock i noticed that when i turn off the lights there are alot of little spiny looking worms that come out. Are they good or bad? I was looking stuff up online and saw that they might be bristle works or something like that. Do i need to worry about them?

I plan to have some coral and other inverts in my tank and i don't want some bored worm killing everything i put in it.

Also if they are bad how do i get rid of them?

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:44pm
Do you have a picture. It is really hard to say what they are without seeing them.
t-bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:48pm
I tried to take one and it is really hard to see it because my camera sucks pretty bad.  i will try to see what i can do though.
t-bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:53pm
Here is a link to a picture online of what it looks like:

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 11:07pm
BristlewormsThumbs%20Up

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 11:08pm
bristle worms are generally considered harmless, and a necessary part of your cleanup crew,
   with that said on the rare occasion you may get one or two that get so large that they may need to be removed, (i have heard of them needing to be removed at the length of feet ) if you get some spines stuck in your finger, vinegar is the best way to get the spines out, just soak the effected body part in the vinegar, and the spines will melt out.
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 11:11pm
Most bristleworms are beneficial detritus feeders.

Mike

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 12:07am
We have one that is pretty long.  From what we have seen it is over a foot long.  We didn't even know we had it until it was about 8 inches long.  It is just growing and growing.  It lives inside one of our rocks and drives my hubby crazy.  He just wants it out of the tank.  He has tried eveything and can't get it out.
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 6:46am
it really is a inexpensive part of your cleaner crew, the way to remove them is to take a piece of raw frozen fish food(like from the deli at the grocery store) and a piece of Bridalveil, rubber band the food into it and leave it in the tank over night, the next morning remove. trouble is you are likely going to catch more than just bristle worms.

I would not worry about them myself, they are beneficial to your tank. 

Edited by bbeck4x4 - March 12 2007 at 6:48am
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
dave huish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave huish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 1:07am
i have touched them with bare hands in the past with little problems but just a few days ago I picked one up and now my ring finger knuckle where it touch is swollen and sore.  they are good for tanks just as long as there are not tons of the buggers
extended warranty.....how can I lose?!?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic