Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Killer Sponges? (pics)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killer Sponges? (pics)
    Posted: March 16 2007 at 7:05am
I'm a bit worried about a frag of zoas in my tank. They havn't opened for a couple of days and the only noticable difference is that a sponge has begun to overtake the frag.

I was kinda under the impression that zoas could take a sponge (mainly because the frag next to it has 4-5 zoas that are nearly drowning in a different type of sponge yet still open daily).

So I did a FW dip just before heading to work tonight (let ya know how it goes).
Just a few pods suffered as a result; no nudis or worms.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard/seen of this type of situation before.
I'm really worried because this sponge type grows everywhere there is shade in my tank.

Here's a pic with a tube of the sponge indicated. Also are a couple of pics of the type of sponge I'm talking about.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
-pinner
In SLC Near Downtown
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 9:52am
I have my doubts that the sponge is the culprit. But, they are easy enough to remove from the rock. Just take a toothbrush to it if your worried.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 10:16am
I find white sponge bothersome. I always remove it when it approaches the corals because I am afraid of problems like this. I would like to know if it is killing them off though.

Mike

eldiente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 1:45am
I seem to have a similar problem with some of my zoos. Several zoos still open and seem unbothered by it, but a different type and I think they are palys don't open and slowly dissapear when the sponge encroaches them.
Brian
Twin Falls, Idaho

210 Gallon Glass reef
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 6:05am
Yeah it looks like the sponge was the problem after all. I noticed it was annoying a mushroom as well.

The FW dip seems to have done the trick as a couple more zoas were peeking by the end of today. I'll have to get a toothbrush in there and get the rest of the stuff that looks like trouble.

Thanks for the help/advice
-pinner
In SLC Near Downtown
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic