Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Ballast wiring help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Ballast wiring help!!
    Posted: April 06 2007 at 2:01am
Calling anyone who knows power!!!

I hope this diagram shows up ok.

I have a workhorse dual 96watt ballast that went out and I replaced it with a different brand. the workhorse had 5 output wires (4 hot and 1 ground). The lights are wired with the ground in a T from the ballast.

The new ballast has 8 wires (4 hot and 4 ground).

I would prefer to not re wire my lights. Here is my question. Can I connect the 4 hots from the new ballast to the original 2x2 hot wires and connect all  four grounds to the original 1 ground wire without blowing anything up?

Thanks for your help!!!

Jeff
Jeff Rasmussen

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 8:58am
No you can't.  The WH7 in an instant start ballast while the Coralife looks to be a rapid start.  You're going to have to rewire.
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 5:02pm
Thanks for the insight Jon. I am not electrically competent.

I emailed hello lights and they told me the coral life is an instant start ballast. Is this the only reason that it wouldn't work? 
Jeff Rasmussen

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 12:45pm
Instant start huh?  That wiring diagram looks like rapid start to me.  But if it's instant start then you should be able to hook the black wires to the yellow wire in your harness and one set of black/white wires to one of the red sets and the other black/white ballast set to the other red set in your harness and it should work.

But I'd just rewire it if I were you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic