Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flatworms being eaten, but predator unknown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatworms being eaten, but predator unknown
    Posted: April 07 2007 at 12:10am
I have flatworms in the sump, but the main tank is pretty flatworm free.  I think it's been months since I've seen a flatworm in the main tank.  Fish I have:

Masked rabbitfish
Blue tang
Carpenter's wrasse
Two Ocellaris Anemonefish
Purple Firefish
Four Chromis
Helfrichs Firefish (separate 40g, plumbed in line)
Blue Assessor (with Helfrichs)

Invertebrates:

Snails, blue-legged hermits, three mithrax emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp, etc.

So who's chowing down on flatworms?  Any ideas?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 12:14am
Maybe it's not a predator? Maybe they have not been introduced into the tank? I know of another person that has them in their sump but not the display. FWIW he also has a basement sump. Maybe the sump is just too far away for them to be easily transported to the tank?

Mike

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 9:58am
Carpenter's Wrasse
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 1:02pm
Unfortunately, the Carpenter's Wrasse hasn't been in there very long, and I haven't seen flatworms in the main tank longer than that.  Do rabbitfishes like flatworms?
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 1:11pm
Suzy will tell you that her chromis eat flatworms and that her systems are flatworm free.  My chromis were put into my frag tank because of the abundance of flatworms.  I have seen all of them eat flatworms that are free floating (as in I stir them up and they go water borne) but have not seen them pick them off of things.  The frag tank still has an abundance of flatworms.  I am not doubting Suzy's experience here just stating what has been posted.
siren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 9:15am

I agree with adam.  Many wrasse's are known to eat flatworms.  I guess it's also a possiblity that your peppermint shrimp might be having a hay day with them, but I've never seen them eat worms.  Your best possibility though is the wrasse.

pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 1:44pm
I'd guess the wrasse also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic