Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral wasting away, help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral wasting away, help?
    Posted: January 24 2004 at 2:48pm
I have a Horn Coral that is slowly wasting away.  Its tissue is slowly receeding back over the skeleton of the coral.  All of the other SPS corals in my tank are not only healthy but thriving, except this one.  3 or the 4 branches are affected and bare for the most part.  It doesnt appear to be RTN as its happenening over a 2 month period gradually.  Anyone got any ideas how to solve this problem?  Should I just throw in the towel on it and frag an unaffected branch and salvage what I can?
300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
240 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
135 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
75 gal. Softies only Tank
65 gal. LPS/Softies
24 gal. SPS/Softies Nano Reef
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 4:01pm
IMO, it would be best to frag an unaffected portion and save what you can.

I have seen this happen occasionally in my tank when all parameters are fine. Other corals don't seem to be affected but one just slowly dies off.

Frag it and hope for the best.

As far as a long term solution goes, I'd check your alk and calcium levels.
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 4:48pm
Calcium levels are a bit on the high side of acceptable levels (my tank is almost all SPS and Clams) alk & ph are right where they should be.  Nothing seems to be picking at the coral and I dont see any evidence of black line disease(?) or anything that would a disease of some type.  So I am kinda here scratching my head looking for clues at the scene of the crime.
300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
65 gal. LPS/Softies
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 5:57pm

What is a Horn Coral?  Is it Hydnophora or Pectinia or what?  I agree with Shane, cut off the living part and hope for the best.

imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 8:54pm

Marcus,

I know this sounds really stupid but...I dont know!  It is offered in Drs Foster and Smith catalog although I didnt buy mine there.  In fact I went to the store that day to get an Acropora of some sort and this was the best thing they had that looked healthy, it looked nice so I got it.  I have know idea what the scientific name is, maybe someone out there can "pick me up" on that one.  I understand that it is a bit of a tough coral to keep, and I would have probably passed on it had I know that before I bought it (another rookie mistake).  Out of the 25 or so "hard corals" that I have the only other coral thats not doing outstanding is a Alveopora(sp?) but even its doing alright, just doesnt look as stellar as some I have seen.

It did good for a while and then started just petering out slowly but surely.  Kinda hate to see it cuase its a very brillant metallic green and was some pretty eye catching "eye candy" sitting in the tank.

300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
65 gal. LPS/Softies
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 11:33pm

Some people call Anacropora and Horn coral the same thing, but I have never seen a green one.  Others call Elk Horn and Pectina the same thing and they are usually green.  Hydnopora is bright green with bracnhes and a fleshy skin over the skeleton.  Look the names up on google or somethingif you want.

I would just cut it up and pray.

Good luck!

imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 5:56pm

Marcus, I think its that last one as it discribes the coral the best.

I think I will frag it too, though but I was wondering iof prehaps a dip might be in order first....

300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
65 gal. LPS/Softies
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 7:34pm
Frag it and place the frags in other places in the tank than where it's been. If it's Hydnophora my understanding is that they don't need the brightest light. I had one that grew fine under one Blue Moon tube.

That'll be 2 cents, please.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2004 at 3:09am

Humm...Didnt know that Mark, I will give it a shot and take that for action.  It was or at least seemed like a typical SPS so I assumed it was a bright light type coral.  I do got a less brightly lit cornner to put it in.

I was just a little concerned about how to frag this guy as it seems to have a loose type skin covering and I wasnt sure how to best do that evolution.  I have only fraged Pavona, and a few Acro's and some softies to this point.  I wasnt sure if I would do more harm than good by fragging it.

Thanks for the help fellas.  Guess I will frag it later on today if time permits.

300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
65 gal. LPS/Softies
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2004 at 6:11pm
Yep, they frag like any SPS. As I recall I made several frags from the six inch frag I got from someone. My frags included those from the middle of the branch and they just grew right over the cut end and away they grew.

Here's a link where it gives the common name of Horn Coral and some info, and below are pics of the green variety. Supposedly it's quite agressive to other sps and sends out sweepers.
Hydnophora

imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2004 at 1:19am

Yep Mark, Thats the coral I am talking about!  Yours looks pretty sweet, I am jealous!

Well I guess it is time to frag then!  Hopefully all will go well with it.  I have one really nice 3 inch branch with some smaller branches on it, so it should work out really nice.

Thanks for the help guys.....

300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
65 gal. LPS/Softies
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2004 at 4:25pm
Sorry, but I can only take credit for finding the pics on the www!
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 9:53pm
Well...I finally got some GARF glue and fraged one nice branch off this coral and three small tips off some other branches.  Hopefully all goes well.  I guess I will know in a couple of weeks if it worked or if it was a exercise in futility.
300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
65 gal. LPS/Softies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic