Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Star Polyps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star Polyps
    Posted: April 09 2007 at 9:40am
I have some star polyps in my tank that are propagating like crazy!  They're starting to get really close to one of my Kenya Trees and 2 different colonies of Zoos.  Will the star's kill the other corals or vice versa?  If so what is the best way to control the growth of the stars? 

Thanks,

Tim
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 10:06am
Let them grow and kill whatever is in their way.  Nothing is cooler than green stars to begin with.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 11:07am
Adam,

Thanks for your opinion, but I really kind of want to save the other corals.  Can I cut off pieces of the Star polyps or is that going to release a bunch of toxins into my tank (I can't really pull the rock out of the tank, so any cutting would have to be done in the tank)

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
kgwilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 6:21pm
Ya, you can just take a razor blade and trim back whatever you think is necessary.  But I think that the other corals would keep it in check.  I have some star polyps growing together with zoos and neither seem to be effected.
75gal reef /sump/ref 150MH 2 96w CF
Perhaps I would be better at basket weaving. . . at least it would be cheaper!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 7:27pm
GSPs pack a punch. Cutting or peeling them off does not release any toxins that I know of.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 9:16am
Anyone else have star polyps growing into their zoos?  I'd prefer not have to cut anything back if I don't have to, but I'd prefer cut things back than have my corals kill each other.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
siren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 9:25am
There is one rule with GSP's....have a razor blade handy!  GSP's are some FAST growing corals, and if you manage to escape them growing into your zoas and your kenya, it'll be something else next week.  Just cut 'em off and give them away.  Trust me, you'll have some more in a few weeks.

good luck!
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 10:34am
Just let them mix with your zoo's, no worries.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 11:13am
Will they kill my kenya tree?  I should be able to move him without out too much trouble if necessary...

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
stephan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 1:41pm
I'd be a happy recipient of free green star polyp cuttings if you are sort of near Utah Valley. I wish mine grew faster.
Stephan Lovstedt
Camarillo, CA
65 Gallon Glass

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 2:03pm
Stephan,

I'm actually in Orem,  I'll keep you posted if I decide to cut them back.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 10:51pm
I to would love some if you have to cut them just tell me what you need for some
out with the large and in with the nano

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 2:19pm
Stephan and John,  I actually have a bunch of the star polyps growing up the side of my tank that I could frag really easily.  You can see what they look like by going to my tank pics (URL Below)
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17361

I'd be more than happy to trim them back for a cool frag of something else.  Let me know what you have to trade!

Edited by superman1981 - April 11 2007 at 2:20pm

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
GSIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 2:48pm
I too would like some GSP.  I don't have anything to trade, but would be willing to pay a little green. 
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 7:32pm
I to would just have to pay pm me when you are ready
out with the large and in with the nano

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 9:45am
K, I'll let you guys know when I have a frag or two available.

Thanks,

Tim

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 4:06pm

Rats.  My GSP doesn't grow that fast either.

Tim, how long has yours been going for?
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 6:07pm
Ya know Chris, I had it for like 3 months and nothing happened, and in the last month it has more than doubled in size.  I have a piece, probably 3 inches X 2 in growing up the side of my glass.  I think I'll frag it tomorrow, try to get it to attach to some rocks I have and be in business in a week or two!

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
markandmelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markandmelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 8:25pm
My GSP grows like crazy. I have it next to my yellow finger leather and have to continually pick it off the leather. It will grow right up the side of the leather. Not sure if it sufficates it or poisons it but the base of the leather turns brown'ish black. Leather still grows and blooms but the base is just ugly. No experience with it on/near any other corals. I scrape it every 2 weeks to keep it just where it is. It is almost the size of a basketball already, if I don't scrape it back it will take over the entire end 1/3 of my tank. Will let everyone know when I have some frags ready and will do a trade. 
If you are not laughin' you're not livin'!

210g - just out of storage, deciding what to put in it
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 4:57pm
Tim, dude, that's awesome.

You know it got me thinking and I looked at my GSP very closely today and noticed several new polyps.  Guess it is growing that fast, it just hasn't attached itself from the rubble piece it's on right now to the larger piece of live rock the frag rests on.

Also, mine has gotten greener-- it used to be just the tips, but now more of the polyp is green.  Have you had the same experience?
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic