Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInsulting each other?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
JS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 11:52am
Originally Posted by Jamison:
It is interesting that this was brought up. I never would have realized how much more difficult it is to type a post as a presidency member than it was as a regular member of WMAS. [Quote] Jamison

I don't think it is more difficult to post as a presidency member. Is posting responsibly difficult? I think this applies to everyone in the club, presidency and regular members alike.

I actually post less now than I used to, and you don'teven want to know how many posts I write that never get submitted. I do feel a little more responsibility to the club and do try a little harder to be politically correct now. That's why hardly any of my posts are ever serious anymore. It's nice to know that club members understand that, and hopefully you will offer us a tiny bit of leeway on our off days. [Quote] Jaimson

Like I said before, I have been on this board for a little over a year and understand when people are being serious or sarcastic. I actually like the humor and sarcastic posts. I am not going to get offended and leave this board because of what someone says. This board and the members (especially the Presidency) have taken my experiences in reefkeeping to a new level. I have kept reef tanks for 8 years and the last year since I have found this club has by far been the most enjoyable. That being said, others may become offended and leave. I am more concerned for people who are new to the board and come here for reef related information. Political opinions in a political thread in the off topic forum is great, that is the purpose of that forum. Political opinions in reef related threads are not so great. Humorous and sarcastic posts in all forums= excellent.

That said, even with all the drama we have drummed up this year, I have to say that this message board has been phenomenal. I do occasionally frequent other boards, and I assure you that their moderators are a lot busier than ours. [Quote] Jamison

Completely agree!

I think the only rule we should all officially abide by, is that we show others the kind of respect we prefer to be shown. Respectfully pursued heated debates have never been a bane to the club and can definitely make for an interesting read. [Quote] Jaimson

Completely agree! Respect is a must. I have had to apologize to people a couple of times on this board. Embarrassed Again, heated debates about reef subjects in reef threads= excellent. Heated political debates in political threads in the off topic forum= excellent. Heated political debates in reef related threads= not so excellent. I am not trying to offend anyone, just trying to help this board to be inviting to everyone especially new members. Not sure what more to say. I am in agreement with with 99.9% of what everyone is saying in this thread.

Edited by JS - April 16 2007 at 11:59am
Be careful who watches your tank! http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27846
Jamison View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by JS JS wrote:

Originally Posted by Jamison:

I don't think it is more difficult to post as a presidency member. Is posting responsibly difficult? I think this applies to everyone in the club, presidency and regular members alike.

I didn't think it would be either, but I promise that it has been. I've never had a problem with posting responsibly and that is still of no concern, but I still have to be a lot more careful. I often worry that people will take what I say as though I am representing the club (not just giving my opinion). I also find myself being more careful not to offend anyone. If a member says something negative about a local fish store, for example, it's just one persons experience. If a Presidencly member writes the same thing, it could be perceived as though the club doesn't like the store. This may not make sense, but that's how it has been for me.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Suzy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 1:37pm
 You know, the more I think about this, the more I think I am going to nominate Jason to be in the presidency. When I think of all the hours I spent in Petersons basement stuffing flyers, and all the time I spent making YouTube videos and the interesting complaints I got about them, and all the other time I've spent thinking I am helping WMAS.

I tried to go back to the BuyNSell forum to find what I said that was so offensive? I did make a comment about Ed and I being loved in San Francisco....sorry if that was offensive?

So, if everything I say will be scruntized, I need to re-evaluate this.

I nominate Jason for the Presidency!
JS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 2:08pm
Jamison, It makes perfect sense. I can see your point in posting being more difficult from that aspect. I could see someone in the Presidency stating that something is their personal opinion and people would still take it as being stated by WMAS. I'm glad that you are aware of the influence your position holds. Any position of leadership comes with that same responsibility. For what it's worth I think we have a great Presidency and that they do want this club/hobby to grow and prosper. I was just trying to make a recommendation to further this goal. Thanks for your time and dedication.
Be careful who watches your tank! http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27846
Suzy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 2:14pm
 Are you saying you accept the nomination?Thumbs%20Up
JS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 3:20pm
Suzy, No one is questioning how much time and dedication you have put into this club and everything that you have done to help this club come to the point that it is at now. Over the last year I have seen the positive role that you have played in this club. Please don't turn this into a "poor me" thing. If you thought all of that time you spent in Peterson's basement stuffing flyers, making you tube videos, and all your other time spent helped WMAS then you are right! Are you a valued member of WMAS and the Presidency? Yes!

I will say this one more time as you don't seem to be grasping my point. You or no one else on this board has offended me.  I rarely, if ever get offended. Have others been offended....? Please just be responsible when you post. Please leave your political opinions in the off topic forum under political threads. That's it, it's just that simple. There is nothing more to read into this.

"So, if everything I say will be scrutinized, I need to re-evaluate this" [Quote Suzy]

WOW! Is that really what you think? Why would someone scrutinize everything you say? Has this been done in the past? Opinions wrong or right regarding reef topics in reef threads are welcomed. Opinions wrong or right regarding political subjects in political threads in the off topic forum are welcomed. We all agree different opinions are good for growth and perspective. Again, please keep political opinions in the off topic forum under politcal threads.

If you want to twist this into more than it is that is your choice. This is a simple recomendation to post responsibly in appropriate forums. If you think you made a mistake then just fix it and go on. If you don't think what you are doing is wrong then keep doing as you are doing. Either way I will still be a member and participate in this board/club.

"I nominate Jason for the Presidency!" [Quote Suzy]

LOLSee I love sarcasm!

Suzy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 3:41pm
I am so not being sarcastic! I want you to join us!
JS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

I am so not being sarcastic! I want you to join us!

I appreciate you not being sarcastic about your post but this is not what this thread is about.  I realize what time and energy your office can consume and am pleased with the current presidency. Like I said before, I think the presidency is doing a great job. I just noticed something and thought I would make a recommendation. What you do with that recommendation is up to you.
Suzy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 4:47pm
 Jason, I have said more than once in this thread that I agree with you, that you are right. I feel our site  has changed a bit, and I will do my part to get it back where it was. I will take your recommendation to heart.

Thank you again for your insight.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 4:51pm
Thanks for all of the in-site Jason. I for one will try to keep it in mind. I have so much happening in 2 (almost 3) companies that I react on the fly. Many times My wife has said that "what makes me successfull in business doesn't necessarily make for good posting."

I do regret anything that Ive said that has offended. I will always be me, and hopefully everyone understands that.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 5:00pm
Quote I will always be me, and hopefully everyone understands that.

As will Suzy, Will Spencer, Jamison, Adam Blundell, sukie, etc...

It seems like Jason's only gripe (hope I represent you here properly) is when unbecoming posts aren't in their proper place.

Quite the conundrum, ain't it?  As a member of the presidency you are-- whether you like it or not-- representing the club with each post.  That's what happens when someone sees "Presidency" underneath your name and thinks "Well if that's the kind of person they have running this circus I want no part of it."

On the other hand, the type of people who are so quick to jump to that conclusion (not referring to you, Jason.  You were very clear that you're fully able to separate person from Presidency) is the kind of person who's going to find a reason to flake out of membership to begin with.

This is a very healthy thread.  Good to read, good to see everyone's insight and reactions.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
JS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by chris.rogers chris.rogers wrote:

Quote I will always be me, and hopefully everyone understands that.

As will Suzy, Will Spencer, Jamison, Adam Blundell, sukie, etc...

It seems like Jason's only gripe (hope I represent you here properly) is when unbecoming posts aren't in their proper place.

Quite the conundrum, ain't it?  As a member of the presidency you are-- whether you like it or not-- representing the club with each post.  That's what happens when someone sees "Presidency" underneath your name and thinks "Well if that's the kind of person they have running this circus I want no part of it."

On the other hand, the type of people who are so quick to jump to that conclusion (not referring to you, Jason.  You were very clear that you're fully able to separate person from Presidency) is the kind of person who's going to find a reason to flake out of membership to begin with.

This is a very healthy thread.  Good to read, good to see everyone's insight and reactions.

I agree Chris, it's the ones that are new/experimenting with the board and have a potential to be valuable members that would be most vulnerable. However I do think this could possibly effect long time members as well. Anyway, I think we are all trying to better this hobby. I would hope people would call me out if If they noticed something I was doing that they didn't agree with. Suzy has called me out before and I appreciated it.

Edited by JS - April 25 2007 at 4:02pm
JS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 4:04pm
Still a relevant thread. Unhiding it.
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 4:53pm
[edit]
I'm very sorry for offending anyone with my liberal statements. [/edit]

Edited by Adam Haycock - April 25 2007 at 5:29pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 5:04pm
LOL  You have got to be kidding me.
I remember a year ago when Heil was getting complaints about our club being a secretive democrat conspiracy, ridding the republicans.LOL
And now claims about the opposite.

WMAS- a very long history of environmental beliefs, and (like most aquarium clubs) tends to attract liberal/earth friendly/progressive members.
Adam
(ps- more often than not the wmas has been run by non-mormon presidents)
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 5:05pm
Oh and my official take on most of the off topic threads

blah blah blah
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 5:12pm
Presidency is threatening to suspend my account unless i apoligize, so..

What? Suspending accounts has not been discussed at all. Who is threatening to suspend your account? This is not at all true.

Adam - you have been involved with the presidency more than many and I resent your statement about the club being "mormon" influenced.  You know that has not been , nor will it be a major driver of this group. In fact, aside from your signature, which implies that anyone that believes in God is stupid, I have seen very little discussion about religion in any of the threads you have been involved with. Do you even know my religious affiliation?

Your recent activity on the message board has been highly disruptive and mostly non-productive. Your opinion is a valid as anyone's but your comments have been as  equally immature as most of those involved in these threads.

Feel free to stay and be a contributor to the message board and to the club, but I think we all agree these threads and attacks need to be discontinued.  Your account is still very much active.

Regards,
Shane Heil
President; WMAS
Jamison View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Adam Haycock Adam Haycock wrote:

Presidency is threatening to delete my account unless i suspend my "liberal rants", so..

I'm very sorry for offending anyone with my liberal statements.

[observation]WMAS is the Wasatch Mormon Aquarium Society[/observation]

Adam,
It's your statements that are offensive, not your liberal bias. I'm confident you have done your part to upset several people on both sides of that fence. I'll openly admit that you are a very intelligent person. I only hope that you'll figure out a way to use those smarts to help others instead of harming them. Thanks for the apology though. It seemed really sincere.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 5:28pm
I have removed my offensive signiture. It was not my intent to offend anyone with it.
Jamison, im very sorry i made the offensive statements. It will not happen again.
Adam
Suzy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 6:04pm
Geez, I started this thread as a joke. There was a guy trying to sell cancer to us so I thought we could tease him, seeings how he will never come back and is kinda a chump anyway. So, now I'm getting threatening pms?

IT"S JUST A FORUM! GEEZ! THIS ISN'T freaking life or death and it really doesn't matter anyway!

Crap! Lighten up! Drink as beer or some rum or some koolaid!

(I do prefer DP, though)

Have a taco or something!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic