Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sick Powder Blue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sick Powder Blue
    Posted: April 16 2007 at 10:41am
  My Powder Blue Tang is looking really bad! The tank is at my mom's house and I really dont have the means to nurse him back.  Does anyone have a hospital tank they could put him in.  His dorsal fin is split in a couple spots, he's gotten ick and he doesn't move from one spot in the tank...I think he may be a lost causeCry.  So if you're in my area(Roy) I'd love to bring him to to you.  I think maybe my yellow tang could be hurting him.

Thanks,
Dutch
mastershake421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastershake421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 2:50pm
if you want i have a tank in springville its a 55 and he would have it all to him self
90 reef
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 2:57pm
Dutch,

I have a 20 gallon tank that has been runnning for months with nothing in it. I can put the fish in there and see what happens?

Are you going to be around tonight around 5:30? I could swing by and get it. I will admit, I haven't had the best of luck nursing sick fish. But, I'm happy to try.

Call me.
(435) 720-2599
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 11:23pm
Shane, I though that was for the Lionfish.Wink
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 11:49pm
Will,
I set the 75 up this weekend. A couple more weeks and I should be good to go!

I was going to PM you today and spaced it.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 7:24am
You could use a rubbermaid tub for a hospital tank? Just be sure it has lots of air bubblers in it for gas exchange, a place to hide..

I put a blip about hospital tanks on my webpage, stuff I found around the www if you want to peek at it. I left out the part about about putting fish on ventilators, though.....
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 7:59am
 Also, IME, I've found tangs to be very docile fish if they are allowed to constantly graze, like they do in the wild? But, if they think there is only enough food for one, they will defend the food 'till the end. The stress of the constant bickering will decrease the fish's immune system greatly, allowing opportunistic pathogens a way to attack the creature, where as a healthy fish can fight off the bacteria, parasites and fungi spores  that are everywhere in our world.
  I think that is why Scott Michaels recommends feeding small amounts freq?
  If your tank has little algae, you might consider putting a piece of Nori, seaweed from the Asian food store on your mag float?
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 1:26pm
They always have Nori(I am korean it's a staple in my houseWink) I think I am just gonna put her/him in the fuge!  Any suggestions on what to do when she's down there? I think i could get that ventilator if needed hahaha!

Dutch
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 1:48pm
 Keep the stress level as low as possible? Lower light, hiding places, yummy food? try garlic in his food? Put a cleaner shrimp in with him.

Are any of his wounds looking bad?
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 3:08pm

Just visible white spots and two tears in his dorsal fin....I have garlic he'll be sure to get some!  I have one cleaner shrimp in the tank. I'd be hard for me to catch him and I am pretty poor as of right now so that might not be an option!Cry

Dutch
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 3:43pm
Try using a clear container, and put some food in the bottom of it, then put that in front of your cleaner. If your cleaner is like mine it will jump right in, and then you can pull it out.

One other thing, if the cleaner doesn't jump into the container when your lights are on, try it with your lights off. Mine is way more daring in the dark.

Edited by Lyscer - April 17 2007 at 4:04pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 3:49pm

If he has reduced stress, he might be able to fight off the ick? I would try Lyscer's suggestion, because a cleaner shrimp really would help, IMO.

Do the tears look infected? Any unusual red spots or growths?

Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 4:33pm

I'll have to look closer when i get home!  From what i remember just white spots and he's looking thin!

Dutch
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 4:49pm
Also I have a UV steralizer..I was gonna wait to hook it up till I got my 72gal bow front up and going but should I set it up now? Would it help him at all?

Dutch
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 4:52pm
I think it will help more than hurt
kgwilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 8:41pm
I think the UV would definetly help.  I lost my powder blue a couple months ago to ich, and I have a saifin tang that had it too.  The saifin survived because when I got the UV hooked up it cleared the ich up within two days!
75gal reef /sump/ref 150MH 2 96w CF
Perhaps I would be better at basket weaving. . . at least it would be cheaper!
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 10:42am

Well he's offically moved. He's in the sump with some maco to keep him company!  I couldn't get my shrimp out of his little cave...anyone wanna pimp out there cleaner shrimp..haha!  I hooked up the UV so i hope it helps! and the lights are off to keep stress at a low level,  Also he has some garlic soaked nori to munch on as well.  He was looking better down there, he acutally swam a little bit. I hope he makes it.

And he only has white spots and he's looking thin. No one else in the tank has ick or anything else, I wonder if its the yellow tang picking on him? If so I think he's gonna be sold! Thanks for the help guys!

ntrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ntrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 12:39am
hey Dutch just seeing if there is any update on your powder blue.
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:03am

he passed yesterdayCry I am a little bummed..but what can ya do?

Dutch
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 6:11pm
Sorry to hear that. Cry

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic