FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Larval trap Video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larval trap Video
    Posted: April 17 2007 at 11:59pm
I've had several people ask about the Larval trap that I've been using to collect baby shrimp and anemonefish with, so I finally made a video of it.

It's amazing how much time it saves at the tedious process of collecting larvae from the tank.  I just put it in the night before and syphon it out the next morning. 

Also, I've found that it collects other things as well.  Just the other day, I put it in the tank and collected what I think is baby gammarus amphipods.  I've put those in a container and they are 4 days old now and doing well on phytoplankton. 

Edited by Amie - April 19 2007 at 1:45am
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 10:00am
That's pretty awesome!  Can you post how you made the device?  (too lazy to get a book and read.)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 4:55pm
Well, there's not much to it - it's just 1/2 inch pvc pipe, 3 L's, 2 T's and a bottle.  In this example the bottle was just a quart, but for a larger tank, I use a liter.  I cut a hole in the side and top of bottle and superglue mesh fabric onto the side of it.  Then superglued the bottle onto the pvc pipe. 

Next, set it in the tank and get it to 'balance'.   I use a wire and 2 magnets.  Then, place an airline hose down the first tube.  Push it all the way down and then pull it back about 1/4".  Start the airpump and a suction will be created.  Place a small light on the outside of the tank and at the bottom of the first tube where the airline tube is.  Then, turn all other lights out.  The larvae will be attracted to the light and then will be sucked up in the tube and stored in the bottle.   

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:44pm
Pretty cool. Thanks.

Mike

faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 1:22pm

That's a great invention- simple and effective.

I remember when Amie was the one asking the questions... now she's on the cutting edge and she's educatiing all of us.

I see a book in her future... "Amie's Guide to Fry and Larvae: Clownfish, Cleaner Shrimp and Everything Else" 
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by faviasteve faviasteve wrote:

I see a book in her future... "Amie's Guide to Fry and Larvae: Clownfish, Cleaner Shrimp and Everything Else" 

LOL
yeah, right.   

Hey, but I love this trap, I'm having loads of fun with it.  The only problem is that I want to try and raise everything that it catches. 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by faviasteve faviasteve wrote:

That's a great invention- simple and effective.

I remember when Amie was the one asking the questions... now she's on the cutting edge and she's educatiing all of us.

Clap

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic