Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For a Friday meeting sometime...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For a Friday meeting sometime...
    Posted: January 27 2004 at 5:32pm

I was wondering if it would be possible, for one of the friday meetings to give a good re-cap on the breeding techniques of different popular fish sometime?  Not a whole step by step, but a basic need this or do that for those who are interested in breeding fish.  I know there are some great resources around, but lets just call it a quick refresher...  Just a thought I had today.

Nate

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2004 at 7:34am

Were you at our meeting last summer with Todd Gardiner?  I can't imagine anyone knowing more than him on raising fish. 

Also, this may be the partial topic in couple months, as we are looking at a guest speaker who raises seahorses.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2004 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Also, this may be the partial topic in couple months, as we are looking at a guest speaker who raises seahorses.

Would this be Suzy?  I here she is looking for seahorses.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2004 at 10:36am
f

Edited by Suzy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2004 at 11:13am
wan't there last summer, and would like to get some quick basics and other peoples experiences on breeding different fish, but can currently only attend friday meetings.  Summer time I might be able to go the thurs...  all depends on school.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2004 at 7:12am
Nate,
Since there are few people that have any experience raising marine fish, I would suggest that your best source of information is the Breeders Registry which is a repository of experience and information from hobbyists that have successfully, and unsuccessfully, tried it. The site is listed here on the Links page.

There is a good article in the Sea Star Online by a former WMAS member and current forum member Brad Adams, regarding raising Bangaii Cardinals. Other former WMAS members Jeff Hite and Tyler Birningham have also raised Bangaii and then there is my documented experience at raising A. frenatus amemonefish(Tomato s). Jake Pehrson has raised Seahorses and perhaps 's, I'm not sure.

Linda Nelson, owner of Sea Base, was commercially beeding and raising lots of 's and a couple other fish, dottybacks, I believe. That's where I got my A. frenatus as juveniles before they became parents. You could contact her. If I've missed anyone, please speak up.

I believe you can find Todd Gardiner at the New York Aquarium (Adam please correct me). Try to contact him.

I believe the WMAS Library has two items that could be useful, but you have to join the WMAS and contact Kahuna (Kirk Talbot) to check them out. 1) A tape by Martin Moe on his experience raising Dottybacks and 2) a very excellent book on breeding and raising fish by hobbyist Joyce Wilkerson.

Except for Bangaii "guppies", breeding and raising marine ornamental fish is still in it's infancy and is a hit and miss, time consuming endeavor. Good luck with your research and breeding attempts.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2004 at 7:26am

Yeah, I hate to discourage anyone from furthering the hobby, but I do feel like I should send out a warning as well. Mark is correct in that we are in the infancy stages of reef keeping and breeding fishes is not the easiest step.  I don't want to talk you out of it, but I've seen many people try and get frustrated and quit. 

I guess if it were me I would start by culturing tons of phytoplankton and rotifers and get that part squared away.  You will need it later, and it is helpful now, so really start there, then come back ask about fish.  After that, I think I would recommend 20 gal tanks with pvc substrate and I would try a few different goby species, my favorite being Lophogobius cyprinoides.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2004 at 11:13am
Not planning on breeding any time soon, more just trying to gather information to file away till I feel that I am ready to try and breed something.  But figured I should read up on different things first.  I already read up on the green water, rotifers, brine etc.  But I just don't have room to start up everything right now.  Like I said just gathering info, mostly on the off chance that some day my clowns actually decide to try and breed to have a minscule chance of saving some of the fry. 
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2004 at 11:41am

As Mark mentioned I have breed Seahorses and Clowns.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic