Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best fish for a cycle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best fish for a cycle?
    Posted: April 20 2007 at 8:34pm
I am getting ready to get some fish for my 90gl It has almost finished cycleing and I am wondering what the hardyest fish is just in case it hasn't finished cycleing yet.I know there are the damselse but I don't like them.I like the blue/green cromises but haven't had much luck with them.I am going to ad some cardnals but are they hardy enough for a cycle.What do you guys think I should do? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 8:43pm

Cycle?  What's a cycle?  I'd throw a clownfish in there.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:01pm
Wait and test.

Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:08pm
Whatever you do, pick something you will be happy with long term. I've been "stuck" with very ornery 4" damsels. What are you planning long term with the tank? If an aggressive, maybe a snowflake moray. They are tough.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:18pm
It will be a mixed reef. I don't plan on getting fish for a few weeks but I want them to be hardy enough for a small cycle just in case it spikes after putting in all the things from my 50gl  
Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:29pm
I say go with a little moray. They are tough. They are cool in a reef, except maybe for shrimp. They are inexpensive.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 8:50am
The idea of cycling with a hardy fish is not good thinking. The hobby needs to let go of that notion. It's not healthy for a system in the long term. Think of using Macroalgae and pieces of LR from a mature vibrant well grown tank. Then add fish one at a time according to what you want long term as was mentioned. I like Chromis and each batch is different. Try again and also avoid the fish that are "ich magnets" like powder Tangs. Be careful not to stock a lot of carnivores, like wrasses right at first because that will imbalance the ecosystem.
Just my thoughts.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 9:32am
I agree with Amie and Mark.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic