Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i fixed my center brace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dlaclo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlaclo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i fixed my center brace
    Posted: April 21 2007 at 2:42am
as i am sure some know already i melted my center brace so here i will tell u how i fixed it... ok first u need to go to your local grocery store and pick up a display hanget. you know the things theu hang them 99 cent chips and other things on here is a pic.

they are usually about 2 feet long by about 1 and a half inches wide... the width was the same size as my normal center brace...

ok next you will need a hack saw to cut off the melted part of thge brace and only the melted part after this is doneclean up the part off teh old brace that is left on the aquarium then you need to measure the corners so you can remove enough water until the middle goes back to its normal position. once that is done clean off the hanger and cut it to the widthe of the aquarium. then you need to set the new brace under the old brace to see where the old brace is going to sit on the new brace... then you need to put aquarium safe silcone on the part of the new brace that the old one is going to sit also put the silcone on the ends of the new brace so it is set to the aquarium itself. once this is done and the new brace is set in its new position and let it sit for about an hour. this is what it will look like

while it is sitting you need to measure the gap that you cut earlier when this is done cut anothe peice of hanger to fit in there and then after the hour is up put some silicone under the new peice of cut hanger and on the ends and place it in the gap when done let sit for 48 hours and put water back in tank
here is the finoshed product

Edited by dlaclo - April 21 2007 at 2:48am
Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 9:04am
Is the display hanger rustable metal? Salt water is highly corosive. Do you think the silicone will hold when you fill the tank back up with water? I would think you would need some type of screws through the ends of the old brace into the ends of the new brace.

Mike

dlaclo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlaclo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 9:06am
no it is tripple layered plastic and so far it seems more durable then the orrigonal brace to be honest
Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 9:34am
That's great that it is plastic! I don't think silicone makes a very strong bond on plastic though. You might want to use some nylon screws to hold the old brace ends to the new brace.

Mike

dlaclo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlaclo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 9:35am
do they sell nthem at ace?
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:07am
Yes they do.
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
dlaclo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlaclo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:10am
thanks
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 8:21pm
When I cracked the glass / plastic center brace on my 125 I simply used a razor blade to cut off the remainder of the plastic part, then the same razor blade to remove the silicone that was holding on the glass part of the brace.

I went to Home Depot and picked up a piece of 3/8" acrylic and 4 - 1/4" nylon nuts & bolts.

I cut the acrylic about 4 inches wide by 18 inches. Then drilled 1'4" holes through the acrylic and the lip of the aquarium top. Once I bolted the nylon nuts in, it was finished.

Seems to hold up against the pressure in the tank just fine. And, since the acrylic is clear, no "center brace shadow" from the MH light above the new brace Smile
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic