Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

poor lionfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hammerhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: poor lionfish
    Posted: April 24 2007 at 7:27am

My lionfish looks like his fins are getting torn up. I dont know why. He seems to be getting along great with the other fish, and they seem to leave him alone. I have a undulating trigger, moray eal, lionfish. I dont know if the fish are getting him or if he is cutting his fins on the rockwork. Any help would be appreciated. Confused

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 7:44am

What type of lion fish?

Dale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 12:54pm
it might be the undulated trigger. i used to have one, and he was mean to anything new that got introduced into tank.
Dale
29g biocube
Ecoxotic LED mod
West Jordan

Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 1:12pm
Aren't triggers notorious for picking on lions?
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
Dale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 1:26pm
i think they're one of the only type of fish that kills lions
Dale
29g biocube
Ecoxotic LED mod
West Jordan

Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 1:36pm
Seems I remember it's common for some to go after the lions eyes.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
hammerhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 8:05am
it is a volitan lionfish
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 8:19am
Ok. I just looked up Undulate Trigger Fish in Marine Fishes by Scott Michael. It says "Best kept singly in an aquarium of its own; even if housed with other aggressive species, it is likely to attack tankmates sooner or later"

I hope this helps.
Mike

PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 12:02am
I can vouch for that I messed up and picked up an undulated in less than three days he killed a beautiful bubble tip anenome to get at my clarkie and butchered 35 snails and 43 crabs along with every other member of my tank. I researched before purchasing but mistook him for a reef friendly trigger. OOPS! And if you traded your undulated into a certain Evanston Pet Store. Well we both got our vengeance as when I traded him in the pet store gave me $21.00 in credit when I payed $28.00 and then sent him for a ride down the head. Good business that earned my respect.
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 1:59am
Triggers will pick on lions, they are not afraid of the spines.  In fact, triggers love sea urchins and have almost as much fun picking off the spines as eating the urchin.Big%20smile  With lions, my triggers were just having fun and did not eat the lion.  The lion, every time, got stressed out and would not eat, or just died from the stress. Broken%20Heart I had a lion in with a trigger for about 3 years before the trigger decided to tease the lion to death!Angry
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic