Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vho lighting question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
taylorwaldron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vho lighting question
    Posted: May 08 2007 at 1:57pm
I am building my own stand and hood. I have the VHO lights for it. What works for a reflector? should I buy one or is there something better. Also do i need to cover the lights with acrylic or something so they are not bare over the water? Thanks
www.taylorwaldron.com
Chuck Norris does not sleep, he waits.
Hyvä Suomi!
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 4:09pm
I buy the URI brand VHO bulbs with the internal reflector.  I just paint the inside of the hood white which provides some reflection.  Since I pack the lights in fairly tight, there is no big advantage with a fancy reflector...

Most leave the top open with the bulbs exposed to the water.  About the only bad thing that will happen is that salt creep will build up on the bulbs.  I clean them off every couple of months or so.. 

Thanks,

Scott 
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 6:38pm
I do the same thing as Scott. Use the bulbs with the internal reflector and paint the inside of the hood white.

Mike

gateb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 9:14pm

I have a reflector over two of the bulbs as I bought a retro kit to fit the old canopy over my 75 gallon tank (18" wide). The reflector has 2 MH sockets and a VHO lamp on each side of the MH lamps. My current 120 is 24" wide so I added 2 more VHOs for a total of four. I bought one of those plastic coated aluminum car window reflectors and just cut some strips to the size I needed and attached them above the 2 VHO lamps that I added  with thumbtacks. I wouldn't try this over MH lamps, but the VHOs haven't seemed to affect it at all. Works great.

Edited by gateb - May 08 2007 at 9:16pm
120 Gal RR
2 Pan World 100PX return pumps
AquaC EV-180 w\Mag 9
40 + 13 Gal refugia
2 175w Iwasaki Aqua2 MH
4 48" URI Super Actinic VHO
IceCap MH and VHO Ballasts

Ogden, UT

taylorwaldron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 9:06am
perfect thanks guys
www.taylorwaldron.com
Chuck Norris does not sleep, he waits.
Hyvä Suomi!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 10:28am
The internal reflectors are awesome. I once placed a large sheet of mirrored aluminum reflector material over some URI VHO tubes with the internal reflectors and it made no noticable difference in light intensity.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

The internal reflectors are awesome. I once placed a large sheet of mirrored aluminum reflector material over some URI VHO tubes with the internal reflectors and it made no noticable difference in light intensity.

yeah, nothing is being emitted from the top of the bulbs so a reflector above will do nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic