Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best methods for a 30 gal reef

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tritioncoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tritioncoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best methods for a 30 gal reef
    Posted: May 19 2007 at 1:49am
I am thinking of converting my 30 gallon fish tank to a salt water system and I would really like to get it so that i could have a sweet reef but I am not sure about the specifics of what would be the best plan of action to make it work.  Any suggestions on equipment and stratigies are greatly apprecieated.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 7:54am

Six 55 watt pc bulbs.  No sump.  Nice macro algae growing in the display.  Three inches of sand.  Four powerheads. 

Piece of cake.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 12:07pm
I agree completly with Adam.
If you can't see using that many powerheads and PC's, do at least 2 of each and place the tank near a window with lots of herbivores and few or zero carnivores. The tank, done this way, will do marvelously.

Place the powerheads in opposite bottom corners aiming the streams up at each other meeting at the water surface. Also use a pink/blue PC with Actinic PC's and the colors will be gorgeous. Below is a pic of my 10 gal reef, done a similar way. One of the powerheads is completely hiddenSmile.
Also read this:

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 19 2007 at 12:12pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Tritioncoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tritioncoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 1:38pm

What about water changes and filtration?

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 1:50pm
i would suggest 10% water changes weekly or bi-weekly. as far as filtration goes the LR and LS will do alot of it. the macro algae in the tank will cut down a lot of nutrients.  you could also run carbon in the tank. mark has a good way using bridal veil. a HOB uv sterilizer might be worth it too.

i would definitely listen to adam and mark though.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 1:57pm
I have finally found where to get pink/blue PC's, it's only taken me 2 years.  Of course, I can't find the webpage right now to post it.  Confused
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Tritioncoh Tritioncoh wrote:

What about water changes and filtration?

Water changes need only be 10%/month. Regarding filtration, did you read  that thread? Filtration in the modern reef aquarium is done by the four components.

But as rtparty said, a little AC (activated carbon) is good for keeping things healthy and happy. I have used a small HOB (hang on the back) filter to run that small bridal veil bag of AC and to do a little mechanical filtration of particulate matter.

I have great success with KISS. A UV Sterilizer is unnecessary IMO.

Amie, Didn't I ever tell you about it? I'm sorry. I just posted it the other day for kgwilliams. Let me see....

When I was working for MSM, I was getting them direct at wholesale price from Blue Sky Pet Supply, just down the street from Commercial Lighting Supply and Advanced Lighting. Kind of odd how all three places are close together on 900 W.

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 19 2007 at 6:53pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic