Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

94 Gallon Cube (pics of construction)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2004 at 11:36am
The 2 - 1/4" panels will be just fine as long as they're nailed good or even better if they are nailed and glued in place. This will be strong enough. You will not need corner braces.

Just the two vertical 2x4's will be enough. The back panel will be enough to replace the structure lost to the drilled hole, so you don't need metal braces.

Looks great as far as I can tell.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 10:30am

Thanks Mark!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 10:40am

I need some advice on the best way to plumb my return lines. This week I recieved a mag 12 and a SCWD device. I was thinking the best position would be one return on each corner of the tank. I would have pipes run behind the tank and over the top edge. Is this a good way of doing it?

My goal is to create very strong current directed at the top of a rock pile where I hope to place a ritteri some day. One of my concerns is the pump's power. I did a test in the sink and was shocked at how much water it put out. What is a good method of making the water stream from the return more spread out and not focused?

Thanks

tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 1:02pm
I'm looking at using a sqwd too, I think making a 'row' of 2-3 outlets using PVC on opposing sides of the top of the tank. Then use a ball pipe and fan outlets to get it down in the water. Thus keeping the current reversing in what I hope is a wavelike motion.
my 2 rupees - Tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 1:13pm

Is this what you are talking about Tim?

3/4 inch x 3 inch Ball Socket Flare Nozzle

I couldn't get a picture of the ball pipe, but is this the same thing as the "Flexible ball-socket joint tubing" at marine depot (here.... http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ft_2.asp?CartId=#bs).

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 2:18pm
That's what I'm doing with my SCWD, and it works great!!! I'm using a Y adapter with a Jet Nozzle, and a spray nozzle as pictured above on both sides of the tank.

Edited by Ryan Willden
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 2:54pm
yeah - that's the fan and the ball pipe is that flexible stuff.
Here is my aweXome illustration:

I'll be doing a signing of my art at the LFS :)
Tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 3:13pm

Thats nice Tim.

Will the pipes be above water level under a hood so they will be hidden?

I was thinking about doing something like this tank...

Thats a 14,000K 400W MH w/ no supplements. I really like the look. Tim, do you have a pic of your tank with the 400W bulb? Is yours a 20,000K?

Edited by BananaTropics
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 3:26pm
Yeah I figure the pvc can sit on the 2" rim. I've got a very blue 10K(not sure on brand) + VHO actinic you can see pics on march TOTM.
Tim

nice cube tank pic ^
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 3:53pm
That is what I use on my return - a scwd going to y adapter also with a spray and a jet on both sides. Just FYI - that "flexible" stuff is called locline
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 3:59pm

Originally posted by BananaTropics BananaTropics wrote:

Originally posted by 1mariner7 1mariner7 wrote:

So how did you do the milling
of the overflow slots?  Those look great- crisp, and
uniform . . .great job!

Its amazing what you can do with an exacto knife,
isn't it!

The slots are all the same to within 1/1000th of an
inch of each other. It was done on a very large mill
used for precision milling of wood, metal and plastic.
Its a pretty amazing machine. I drilled all the holes by
mainly watching a computer screen to see where the
drill was in XYZ cooridinates.

Wow, can I come play in your garage!Sounds like you have way cool toys!

Richard
Alpine, UT
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 4:05pm
Yeah, I'd like to have a tool like that too!!!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 4:49pm
While a mill is the best tool for that job, a woodworking router mounted in a table could be used to get similar results.  I only say this because it's much more likely you have, or have access to, a router then a mill .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 7:33pm

What does the flow feel like from a flare nozzle about 1-2 feet away? How does this compare to jet nozzle? Why would you choose one over the other? I guess what I want to know is what is the best nozzle to get a very spread out flow instead of narrow flow? Is there another nozzle other than these two that would accomplish this?

Edited by BananaTropics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2004 at 8:43pm

The stand has been fixed to allow for a bottom hole in the tank. How's it look?

jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 10:38am
Great and I'm sure you could hold a car on top of it.
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 10:40am
oh, but where is your return plumbing going to go up at?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 10:43am
Out the back wall and behind the aquarium.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 4:01pm
IMO it will work great.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 8:53am
so..... how did it work?
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic