Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

94 Gallon Cube (pics of construction)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 9:47am

I just finished my refugium last night. Tonight im going to start putting my display tank together. Im not sure how long i'll wait before putting water in it, but I was thinking two weeks just to be safe.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 3:10pm

Here's a pic of my setup...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 3:15pm

I have a quick question on my plumbing setup. Ive made a couple changes thanks to some good advice (Marcus and Mark in particular..thanks). Here is a picture of how I would like the refugium and sump to be arranged...

Its a little hard to see, but the sump is behind the refugium. I was planning on having a small pump in the first chamber of the sump which feeds water into the refugium. The water would then overlow back into the sump. I'll probably have it drain between the first and second baffle so its after the skimmer but is still able to move through the baffles to eliminate bubbles. Does this sound good?

Edited by BananaTropics
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 3:17pm
why not just plumb it straight into the refugium, and then from there let the fuge overflow back into the sump?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 4:13pm
That was my original plan, but there were a couple of concerns. First, this would put 1,200 GPH water flow through the refugium. It would also put the refugium before the skimmer, which would suck out a lot of the good refugium organisms which feed the tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 5:12pm

Here's the latest pic.

The overflow and bottom will be connected tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 8:49pm

For anyone still following this thread, the tank is complete !  I'll probably test for leaks in a week.

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 3:58pm
lookin good! keep posting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 6:04pm

tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 7:00pm
Excellent!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 10:23pm
Very good!  How did you polish the edges?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 6:49am
I have not done anything to the edges other than flush cut with a router. The edges are smooth with a whitish appearance. It looks pretty good the way it is, so I may just leave them.
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 7:24am
I've been ghetto building a corner tank, the seams are junk LOL, and I tried to fill it last night in the bathtub and one of my ugly seams popped apart. Just throwing a little paranoya at ya  Be ready, but your seams looked reasonably good. Did reagonal make decent cuts?
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 8:46am

The cuts from Regional were within 1/16". I sure hope the seams hold. Ive had good results with my sump and refugium, but im crossing my fingers 

Did you have any bubbles in your seams? What method are you using to put the pieces together?

I have some jigs if you need some.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 10:16am
Good way to keep up the spirits, skytone.
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 6:05pm

Those that know me know I am an ass sometimes.

Oh yea I have bubbles and gaps and all kindsa garbage. I want to try a little square next and do it right. I just get ol glue #3 or whatever and dump alot on the seam and hold it for a sec. I mean REALLY GHETTO LOL.

I really should tear it down and sand the edges and do it right, but I am just f-ing off for now...

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 9:43pm

The tank is full and no leaks,  Pheewww...

All the equipment is in place and ready to go.

With inspiration from Tim's (tfowers) wonderful drawing, I came up with this return setup...

Im still waiting for a couple plumbing parts in the mail (due to arrive on Wednesday). Once attached, i'll be ready to add the salt and turn on the pump.

Keither View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keither Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 9:47pm

I'm curious to know your costs.  Would you mind throwing out an estimate?  (If you don't mind)  A little breakdown would be nice too.  Thanx

Keither

My bubbles....
He likes Bubbles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 9:55pm

Acrylic for main tank (cost + cutting)  $290

Stand (including finish wood which isn't attached yet)    $130

Mag 12 pump   $100

Plumbing items $50

ER skimmer  $250

sump and refugium ~ $120

misc. items (paint, glue etc.) $50

Ebo-Jager heater $18

SCWD   ~ $45

I would guess that the total with shipping/tax (inc. items Im forgetting) came to about $1200

Edited by BananaTropics
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 10:37pm

It looks great!  Congradulations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic