Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

94 Gallon Cube (pics of construction)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 94 Gallon Cube (pics of construction)
    Posted: February 06 2004 at 10:52pm

Well, I'm finally going to get to work on my tank this weekend. Im hoping to get the tank put together and buy all the wood for the stand by tomorrow. Here is a pic of the acrylic pieces taped together...

There are also some top braces which aren't in the picture. I'll hopefully have it on top of the stand by the end of next week. I have most of my equipment coming on Monday. The only thing i'll need to buy now is plumbing stuff and a skimmer (which I am still looking for suggestions).

Thanks for all the help so far!!

Edited by BananaTropics
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2004 at 11:02pm
That looks cool. Good luck
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 7:15am

Is it a lot cheaper to build your own tank or are you just doing it for the fun?

If it is cheaper... about how much?  Are you saving hundreds of dollars or a few bucks?

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 7:21am

I think for medium sized tanks (55 gal) or larger, you are much better to just buy one.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 8:30am
I checked into having Plastic Fabricators build me an
80 gallon Acrylic tank, and it was going to cost me
$550.... That's mucho denero!
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 9:27am
I'm also doing a tank of the same shape - The arcylic is only going to cost $200 and another advantage is you can run the tank off 1 400W MH, also lowering cost.
Tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 10:06am
I was looking into buying a 2'x2'x2' cube which was over $700 (this may have included stand/canopy). For uncommon shapes like cubes, it is much cheaper to build your own. Total cost of acrylic was under $250 (this includes cost of cutting and the overflow also). For tank plus stand, i'll probably pay under $400.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 1:34pm

fantastic! cant wait to see it all together!

i just built a 2x2x2 glass cube ... it would have been about the same price to build as to buy an oceanic 24" cube. the only diff was that the oceanic went up in price dramatically (200$) with a center overflow. it comes with a corner overflow. the cost of the oceanic glass cube is around 450$ if i remember correctly.

Edited by coreyk
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 2:19pm
Cost shmost.  Sometimes it just fun to build things .
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 2:56pm

Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Cost shmost.  Sometimes it just fun to build things .

i agree 110% !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2004 at 9:56pm

I got the frame of my stand done. Im going to cover it using birch plywood.

So when I put my tank on top, should I buy some type of padding to cover the plywood?

Edited by BananaTropics
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2004 at 10:25pm

It may not be necessary, but since it's an acrylic tank I'd go to home depot and buy a small sheet of 1/2" styrofoam insulation.  Cut it to the size of the stand top.

Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 11:41am
Where did you go to learn about the cutting, gluing, fabricating, polishing of the plastic?  Did you get the material from Delvies?  How did you spec the thickness of the material for the pressure you will be putting on it?  I am thinking about doing this for fun but wanted to tackle a smaller project so I do not blow a wad of cash if I make mistakes . . . After I learn a few things, then I will tackle a big project!  Any suggestions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 2:19pm

I bought the acrylic at Regional Supply. They did all the cutting for about $15. The gluing isn't too hard if you practice it. I would suggest going out to Regional Supply and buying some scrap pieces ($1/lb) and practice gluing them together. I used Weld-on #4 (which they also stock). To make the edges smooth, I used a jointer. 

There are several sources I looked at to get all the info I needed. One was this thread from Reef Central... (get comfortable...its long!)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&thre adid=96763&highlight=acrylic+fabrication

I also used the following site... 

http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiytank/bndiytank.htm

Another page to look at is http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp. You can type in the dimentions of your tank and it will give you the suggested thickness and a cut list.

Edited by BananaTropics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 2:32pm

I found a  problem in my design.

I was originally planning on putting the bulkhead in the bottom of the tank, but I overlooked something. If I were to drill a hole down into the stand from the overflow box, I would go through two 2x4's! That doesn't sound like the best option IMO, so maybe I should just drill through the back of the tank. Any suggestions?

BTW, it's a 1.5" bulkhead with about 1,000-1,200gph

Edited by BananaTropics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 2:55pm
Personally I would make the overflow bigger, and drill the overflows in the bottom of the tank. It's much nicer, and I think a bigger overflow would be better. I'm getting ready to do the same on my own tank, and my stand is virtually the same as yours. That's what I will do, but it may not be what you want to do. I was thinking your overflow looked a little small in relation to your tank size anyway, so that's what I'd recommend.

Edited by Ryan Willden

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 3:14pm

Ryan, to go through the bottom without touching the 2x4's, i'd need to have the overflow stick out about 7 inches.

Would the only disadvantage of having it stick out the back be a reduction in drain rate?

I went with the overflow size I did because 18" was the number that popped out of the RC overflow calculator. It also recommended I use a 1.43" drain pipe (I bought a 1.5")

What about making an overflow that is only about 10" deep and having it exit the back so interior space is saved?

Edited by BananaTropics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 3:56pm
I see now... You could have it go out the back, as long as you don't mind your tank sticking out from the wall about 4". That's how my reef is at home, and I'm not thrilled about it, but it was the only option. It looks as though it may be your only option too. I built my stand a little differently now that I'm looking at it. My stand has the 2x4's sitting vertically, not horizontally. That's why it would work on mine. An overflow 10" into your tank would suck for sure. By the way though, It's going to be an awesome tank! Looks like you're doing great so far!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 4:25pm
Maybe I could make the pipe exit near the bottom and just cut a little bit of sheet rock out so I don't need the tank away from the wall.
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 4:38pm
Why not add two more 4x4 supports on either side of your drain to take up the bearing load?  Allow enough space to be able to perform any unanticipated work on your drain.  Would they interfere with your sump or tank equipment underneath?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic