Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Presidency Elections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Presidency Elections
    Posted: February 09 2004 at 9:44am

Fish Friends,

Well it is almost time for presidency elections.  Just a couple weeks away.  This years election process will be a little different.  The presidency is looking for input on the best way to nominate and elect officers this year, and so far the majority likes the idea of voting on-line here by some type of poll.  For members without web access (there are only a few) they can vote by ballot or by telling us, or whatever. 

The biggest changing idea is to simply elect the presidency (top 10 vote getters) then have them get together and determine who is pres and who is VP and who is Historian and so forth.  The previous was, was to nominate based on position and to elect a person for a specific position.  However, we still haven't found someone, that I know of, who is dumb enough to run for president.  Therefore it is possible if we go this way the club won't have a pres and then what? 

So, please give us your ideas, and be prepared to nominate other reefers. 

Thanks

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

and be prepared to nominate other reefers. 

Adam

Hmmm... I really don't know anybody that smokes pot... Sorry, I had to say it. He he he...

I wonder... I like your idea of nominations, but I wonder if you ought to get a list together of people who are interested in volunteering for ANY position, and then having a poll to determine who will play what role in the presidency... I don't know. That's a tough one. I say we keep our current presidency... J/K

Edited by Ryan Willden
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 10:40am
Can not vote yet but for others it would be nice to know who does what currently in case a re-elected is in order... or is that possible?
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 11:08am

What presidency positions even exist?

Adam is president

Mark is Treasurer

Suzy is historian/TOM

I'm not sure who the historian/librarian is.

What other positions exists and who currently holds them?  I nominate Jim Lamunyon as northern Utah WMAS carpool coordinator.  He does a great job now why not give him a title?

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 11:51am
Kirk is Librarian

Jake is Vice Pres

Steve is Secretary

Cortney is cool

Ryan,Jeff,Arjen,Gary, Scott are council members, I think

Who am I forgetting?

Is it too late early start campaigning? If I am elected historian/
goddess, I promise a mushroom in every tank!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 11:52am
And, I nominate Diana! (for coco-worm goddess or president)
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 1:40pm

What if someone is nominated, then elected- and does not want to serve? 

Is it conceivable that even if we elected a "top ten vote getters" that none of them would want to serve as president?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 2:57pm
I agree with Mariner. I for one wouldn't mind being on the council for instance, but President would require time that I don't have to offer, even if I wanted to.

Edited by Ryan Willden
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 3:19pm

I'll vote for you suzy for a mushroom for each of my tanks.

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 3:25pm
Torghn, how many tanks do you have?

You're on!! (Are we talking anemones or salad items?)
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 8:37pm

I have 1.5 tanks suzy.  One little 10g, but am currently half way through setting up my 90g (just waiting for the last of the water to filter).  But for  free mushrooms I'm sure I could put some salt water in a few jars, toss in a hermit and call it a tank.

And no salad items.

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Beware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 8:59pm

You know if you want to be correct then WMAS has a parliament not a presidency.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 10:15pm
Not to stear this back on track or anything, but how would you like us to nominate people?
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 11:02pm

[/QUOTE]
Hmmm... I really don't know anybody that smokes pot... Sorry, I had to say it. He he he...
[/QUOTE]

and free mushrooms!!!

what kind of club is this!!!???LOL

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 10:50am

I'd be interested to know just what the presidency positions entail.  I know the presidency does a lot for this club, but what are the duties of say, the President, Vice President, Secretary, etc.  or do they just do whatever is asked of them?

I'd love to find a way to serve the club, but I don't know if I'm knowledgeable enough yet to be of any use.

Edited by wsinbad1
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 2:23pm

Okay here is an update.  By the way, we are planning to put up a presidency page on this site, so you will know more about who they are and what they do, but we will wait until the new people are elected.

The presidency changes as needed but here are the basics...
President- does nothing takes credit
Vice President- does everything sits quietly
Secretary- takes notes during club and presidency meetings
Librarian- responsible for all books, and the check out system
Historian- wmas scrapbook, or Tank of The Month, or whatever they want
Council Members- (we have 8 people with this title) no specific duties, all things are assigned as needed.
----------
We also have appointed positions- do not count towards voting for club issues, but certainly have much influence in planning and deciding where the club is going

Treasurer- has been a pres position before, but was made an appointed position to avoid complications with switching over bank accounts and things like that
Editor- for the newsletter
Social Planner- can you imagine if we didn't have all them goodies at the meeting?
Membership Coordinator- keeps track of current members, who has paid, who hasn't
Webmaster- creates and maintains this website
Electronics- someone who is incharge of projectors, computers, dvd players, or whatever else is needed for meetings
Whoever else is needed- for all the things we come up with (like a tree for Festival of Trees) that no one else is ready for

Still looking for the best way to do this.  Would you rather vote for people in general, or vote for them for a specific position?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 3:16pm

Adam,

I was wondering if it would be best if we vote for President, Vice President and 8 (or so) presidency members.  Then they could all get together and figure out who is going to do what.

That way at least we have someone in charge.

Just an idea.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 3:18pm
If my schedule were better, I'd love to be the Electronics Coordinator... Dang.
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 7:45pm
Hey, I'd like to volunteer for anything I can help with. I'm self employed so my time is flexible and would love the excuse to spend more time picking brains. I'd offer some sort of opinion on how to go about the selection process if I had one but I think that this club has enough great people that whoever's involved will work out well IMO. By the way just wanna take the opportunity to give adam one of these , which he richly deserves. thanks a ton
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2004 at 10:41am
Adam - my vote is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
No term limits for WMAS presidency positions!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic