Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

60" tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TNaisbitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNaisbitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60" tank
    Posted: June 11 2007 at 4:41pm
I am currently finishing my basement and planning on a tank upgrade.  I have a 90 gal. now and want to go bigger.  Here is my big question:

I have room for a 48" or 60" tank, but not enough for a 72".  Is there a manufacturer that even makes a 60" tank or would it have to be a custom tank? 

I would like to go bigger than a 120, but really haven't considered building (or having someone build) a custom tank. 

I'd love to hear peoples opinions.

Thanks!
"Water which is too pure has no fish."

90 Gal Reef, 12Gal Nano Reef
West Jordan, UT
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 4:52pm
Travis,

My aquarium is 60" long. It is manufactured by All-Glass. They call it a 120 X-High. Check around, last I checked this size was discontinued. However, there may be some around in a warehouse somewhere.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 5:20pm
I think Shane is correct.  I don't think there are any standard 60" aquariums made anymore.  You may want to go with a 48" or start looking for a used tank.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
TNaisbitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNaisbitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 5:39pm
Jake:  I was looking to purchase used anyway, so no problem there, it just sounds like it may be a problem finding a less common size that is for sale.  I'll post in the buy/sell forum and see if anything bites.

Shane:  What do you use for lighting.  I was thinking about just keeping my existing 48" fixture and putting low light corals in the bottom corners.  My 90 stays pretty bright at the bottom and has a lot of light spill out of the sides of the tank.  I guess it depends on if I get a deeper tank, but I thought it would work.  What do you think?

West Jordan, UT
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 7:16pm
I think a 48" fixture would be fine.

Mike

vkfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 7:48pm
The Aquarium had a 60" tank and stand when I was there this weekend.
Cottonwood Heights, UT
The Aquarium View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Aquarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 9:58pm

We do have three sizes in the 60 inch there is the 156 and the 178 and the 105.. 105 dimensions are 60x18x24  the 156 is  60 x 24x 24 the 178 is 60 x 24x 30 all are made by oceanic aquariums  and are a bit pricey they have changed there way in making there aquariums and all have starphire glass fronts . And black backs   nice tanks we have the 176 and the 105 on hand in the back if you would like to see them..

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 10:13pm
Shane:  What do you use for lighting. 

2 x 175w MH, 2 x 140w VHO

The Aquarium:

Would you mind posting the prices of the 156 and the 178?
TNaisbitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNaisbitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 9:30am
I'd be interested in knowing the price of the 156 and the 178 as well.

Mike:  I was hoping that you would lend your incite.  I think the 48 would work well also.

Shane:  Are your VHO's 48" or larger?  Just trying to get an idea of how you keep your tank lit.  Thanks.

West Jordan, UT
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 9:57am
Travis,

My VHOs are 60" long.

140w = 60"
110w = 48"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 11:52am
60" VHO supplements would be great!

Mike

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 1:02pm
I like the 156 size.  Then again, I like most tanks that are 24" deep and 24" high.  Yes, please post a price.
The Aquarium View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Aquarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 6:43pm
i will get the prices tomorrow for you i have the day off work so i dont have the prices on hand  if i remember right the 178 is around 1400.00 dollars  i know its a high price but they are a totaly different aquarium then they were a year ago. and oceanic keeps hiking up there prices ..
i will post the prices tomorrow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 6:58pm
The Oceanic tanks that I have seen at The Aquarium lately are BEAUTIFUL tanks. I would love to own one but they are pricey.

Mike

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 8:30am
I went in and saw the 176g.  Beautiful, indeed.  Front and sides are Starphire glass, with a starphire glass center brace.  Sadly for me, it has dual all-glass style megaflow overflows. 

I'm not trying to promote the Aquarium, but the fellow I talked to there was very knowledgeable and quite refreshing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic