Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did they do that?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did they do that?
    Posted: June 15 2007 at 3:55pm
How in the  Censored do you guys take such amazing pics of your tanks?

Is it all in the quality of camera? Does everyone out there have a SLR camera that costs as much as there tanks do?

C'mon, can't my 7.x megapixl  point and shoot  take some decent  tank pictures?

How do I turn this:

into something more like these http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18695

Is it not possible with this camera? http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/coolpix/s7c/index.htm
Jeff Rasmussen

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 3:58pm
I use a Kodak eazyShare Z760 .. its not the best camera for taking coral pics but it dose a pretty nice job ...

I really want a digital SLR ... :) ...
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 4:39pm
I have the canon rebel xt with a 90mm macro lens, I will trade shots for fragsBig%20smile
http://picasaweb.google.com/bbeck4x4/MacroShots

Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 5:15pm
I think a lot of it is practice related.  I had a dinky 3 mp point and shoot that had a macro mode and I could take better pics with that than with my wifes new d200 that has a 105mm micro lens.  But as I take more and more with the new camera I'm showing some improvement and should eventually be able to take far superior pictures with the new one some day. 

Bottom line the camera does make a difference but I've seen so many good pics with many different camera types, so obviously there is a skill factor involved too.  Keep practicing and I'm sure the pics will improve.  Also my biggest problem is keeping the dang camera steady... I'm so freakin shaky that with my old point and shoot I had to press the camera up against the glass and then take the pic to get clear photos.  Luckily the new camera has a tripod.
60g LPS Cube
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 5:15pm
Make sure your camera is set to "Macro" mode if you are within 2 feet of your subject (this is the mode that has a picture of a flower) Adjust the white balance if you can to compensate for the tank lights.

Mike

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 5:26pm
OK, So I am going to play this weekend. My mother is letting me borrow her SLR and I am going to compare exactly how much is camera and how much is user.

I will use my RBT for the subject and if I get good I might go to the cardinal (Ahhh, a moving target should be fun)

I have a tripod so that will help a lot.  I also think I need to clean the glass a little better. But for the sake of the scientific method, I will not.  I cleaned the outside today and that is where I will start. Hopefully I can post some of the differences in the photos and the exact specs of the cameras tonight.
Jeff Rasmussen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 5:51pm
Cool. I look forward to seeing those pictures!

Mike

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 6:09pm
If you google "aquarium digital photography" you will get a TON of links to How-To guides on the subject.

In fact - at the top of the list - is this kids website. I cannot BELIEVE this shot he got:

I think I am just jealous because he looks like he is 12 years old :)
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 6:27pm
nice photo, lucky shotWink
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 6:50pm
Macro Mode, and do not use the digital zoom, only the optical zoom.
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 6:52pm
from your photo it also seems as though the ISO was turned wayy up. That happens in auto modes when the camera decides there isnt enough light, that way even the noise gets amplified and you have that speckled look.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by shaggydoo shaggydoo wrote:

I think a lot of it is practice related.  I had a dinky 3 mp point and shoot that had a macro mode and I could take better pics with that than with my wifes new d200 that has a 105mm micro lens.  But as I take more and more with the new camera I'm showing some improvement and should eventually be able to take far superior pictures with the new one some day. 

Bottom line the camera does make a difference but I've seen so many good pics with many different camera types, so obviously there is a skill factor involved too.  Keep practicing and I'm sure the pics will improve.  Also my biggest problem is keeping the dang camera steady... I'm so freakin shaky that with my old point and shoot I had to press the camera up against the glass and then take the pic to get clear photos.  Luckily the new camera has a tripod.

A D200 and a Nikor 105VR? Now I'm really jealous!

Mike

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 8:22pm
Mike - Yep a d200 with that lens should be the ultimate (well almost) equipment... yet my old point and shoot still got better shots, so obviously I havea huge factor of user idiotness. But a couple more days of practice outta fix that and I'll have to show off my new skills (when I get some) with it one day soon.
60g LPS Cube
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 8:46pm
Wow! Thanks for the input guys.

This is with the s7c
A few minor adjustments:

1. No angle when taken
2. closer to the glass
3.Turned ISO way down (lowest setting)

Now i need to get rid of the reflection from the windows and clean the inside glass. It looks like I need to turn down the exposure time also.

SLR pics to follow!

Jeff Rasmussen

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 10:22pm
looking better Thumbs%20Up, for the dslr use the tripod, and a remote shutter release, also turn the pumps off while the pic is being taken.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 11:21pm
Fuji. macro setting, Patience Patience Patience

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 11:31pm
Gorgeous!

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 1:20pm
I am having a hard time in macro mode. It seems to slow down the shutter speed so anything moving gets burred? Any ideas? 
Jeff Rasmussen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 3:03pm
More light would help. Turn off the pumps could help too.

Mike

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 4:24pm
Starting to get the hang of it with the point and shoot. The slr is a totally different beast. Can't seem to be able to zoom in past the glass?

Jeff Rasmussen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic