Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY auto topoff / float switch suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY auto topoff / float switch suggestions
    Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:49am
before I go on vacation this summer, I want to finally rig up my sump to an auto topoff / Kalkwasser dosing thing. I was thinking of just setting up a dosing pump to drip Kalk at night and then having a float switch turn it off when it reaches a certain level. Is that the best way to do it? Is there a better way? Where do I buy a cheap float switch to accomplish this?
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2007 at 11:31pm
The dosing pump can be adjusted to add just the right amount of water for the season. If it gets a little low, just dial up the dosing pump. If it gets a little high, simply dial it down. Dosing pumps are so good at adding small amounts that the float switch is superfluous.

Plug the dosing pump into the same timer as the RDP lights and you will have kalkwasser top off dosing all night.

For the kalkwasser reservoir mix up kalk in a 7 gal bucket. It lasted about a week for my ~120 gal tank and frag setup. I usually just dumped in a cup of kalk powder then refilled with RO water ~3 times before dumping the residue and adding new Kalk powder.

Be sure to dose the kalkwasser near an area of high water movement and not directly in the way of a coral.

Hope this helps.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 7:33am
I can't "dial" my dosing pump. It doses the same amount. I can control when to start it and when to shut it off though. I'm just worried that the water levels won't always be consistent. You think the evap rates are consistent enough that I can time it just right?
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 6:51pm

Evaporation increases as outside temp increases, to some extent even in an air controlled room.

Sure, adjust the ON-OFF time to control the delivery. When it's ON, does it run continuously or on a timed schedule? How much fluid can it deliver in an hour?
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 11:11pm
Better yet, just turn off any auto-top-off you have before your vacation, bribe Jamison to come and take care of your tank, and have him top it off.  Murphy can't kill your tank if you plan for him.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 12:50am
How does one bribe Jamison? He has it all!
ct79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ct79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 1:31am
I just made a DIY auto top off for my nano for about $30.  I bought a float switch online from aquahub:

http://www.aquahub.com/store/ifloatfloatswitch.html 

The aqualifter from marinedepot http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~dosing%20pump~action~view~idProduct~OE1137~idCategory~FIOFOA~category~Tom_Aquatics_Aqua_Lifter%E2%80%94Dosing_Pump_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Overflow_Box_Accessories~vendor~.html
Since you want to dose kalk. you might want to buy the Tom Aquatics Aqua Lifter Suction Pre-Filter it's only a few bucks more.  You'll see it on the bottom of that page.  And an extension cord.   I had a 2 gallon bin that wasn't used so I didn't have to buy that. 

It was real easy to make and works great.  I have looked around for an auto top off system and couldn't find one under $70.  Aquahub also had instructions on how to set it up.  They mention that you need a relay and all that but I found that you can bypass that.  You should check that out.  It definitely saved me some $.  If you want to go that route and need some help setting it up, just send me a pm and I'll walk you through it.  It only took me about 5 minutes to set it up.  Hope that helps. 
Midvale
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 9:42am
Check out this link on a do it yourself auto top off.

Mike

Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 1:06pm
I used a 10gal tank drilled a hole in the bottem. Raised it above and to the side of the sump. than ran the line in to a Kent Marine Float Valve. It works by gravity.
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 9:59pm
The Glug Jug works well too.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 23 2007 at 9:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic