Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abalone snails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abalone snails
    Posted: February 14 2004 at 12:17am

Does anyone have any Abalone snails in their tank?  I am wondering if they look as good in person as they do on the internet, and what would be the downside of a few of them?

TIA

Rodney

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 6:31pm
They look good in the tank, but you will hardly ever see them.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 9:25pm
Thanks Jake!
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
bubblenbrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblenbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 7:12pm
I took some grey abilone from a local dive site before and decided to watch there behavors(instead of eating them, like I would normally do) they get onto a rock and absolutely pulverise all forms of algea....including coralline....they seem to have razor like adaptation for scraping their favorite food from the rock.....very fast and effiecant, but will die off quickly if their soure of food runs low.....being in Japan, I have an abundance of nori available and I will place that as food...it's amazing what this culture will eat
Tiny bubbles in my head
:) what was the count again....1, 2, 8, 3
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 7:35pm

Will abalone scratch acrylic like chitons will?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 9:40pm
I have never had a problem with them scratching acrylic, but I'm not 100% positive that they won't.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 10:44pm
Jake - do you know of anywhere local to pick up an abalone and cowrie?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 10:47pm

Nope, sorry.  I really don't visit a lot of local pet stores on a regular basis.

I am sure you can find some locally.  If not have a local pet store order you one in their next shipment.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

bubblenbrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblenbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 12:06am
you could always try http://www.marinedepotlive.com/inverts-shell--snails.html I have always shopped with them.....even in Japan...I get great business with them for non perishables, and not to mention a reasonable price, somemay disagree because of great LFS, really wish I had a good LFS here.
Tiny bubbles in my head
:) what was the count again....1, 2, 8, 3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic