Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are good corals for newbies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are good corals for newbies?
    Posted: June 21 2007 at 11:57pm
I am new to the whole corral thing. brand new. So I am wondering what are good corals for newbies. I find the fish aspect not all that different from freshwater. But the whole addition of calcium and all that jazz yeah. It complicates stuff. I would like some color and anything anybody spouts off I will check up on but I don't feel like learning through trial and error I mastered that oneEmbarrassed So I am going for a new skill LOL
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:01am
Softies (I have some for free/sell), zoos, mushrooms.

Then LPS (frogspawn, torch, etc)

Then SPS (best color, most difficult)
Jeff Rasmussen

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:09am
I agree with Jeff, zoos and mushrooms are the easist.  My favorite corals are zoos.  My hubby loves mushrooms.  We both like frogspawn and hammers too. 
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:11am
Leathers are pretty easy too.

Mike

PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:12am
What are the lighting requirements of zoos and mushrooms? Not to mention torches and frogspawn And thank you for getting back so quick.
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:12am
And leathers also
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:13am
What lighting do you have?

Mushrooms and zoos are lower light. Leathers like mid light. LPS like mid-high. SPS never has enough light!
Jeff Rasmussen

PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:15am
I have two VHOs 4 6500 k actinic and one awfully blinding 250w metal halide that I will e buying a twin for soon
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:16am
I just have power compacts on my zoos, mushrooms and frogspawn.  Oh and I do have one leather too. 
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:17am
I would have to say ilike this hobby/obsession keeps my mind off my troubles
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:19am
You shouldn't have to worry about lighting requirements too much with that setup.

You may want to purchase the book "Corals, a quick reference guide" by julian sprung. It tells you the best environment for the different species (flow, light, placement, feeding, etc)
Jeff Rasmussen

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:21am
Yes, it does. It is a fun hobby.  I enjoy it because it is something that me and my hubby both enjoy.  We love to go hang out at fish stores.  One day we set a goal to go to 6 stores in one day and guess what?--We did it!!!  Oh boy, we are FISH GEEKS!!
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:21am
my entire setup including the mistakes on livestock has cost under 600 which I am happy about 200 of it was my return
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:23am
Originally posted by frednwilma1999 frednwilma1999 wrote:

Yes, it does. It is a fun hobby.  I enjoy it because it is something that me and my hubby both enjoy.  We love to go hang out at fish stores.  One day we set a goal to go to 6 stores in one day and guess what?--We did it!!!  Oh boy, we are FISH GEEKS!!

How bout a stretch goal? Go to six LFS and don't spend any money! LOL

How bout 3?
Jeff Rasmussen

PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:24am
yeah i am Da** proud to join your ranks Iwill have a better setup once the divorce finalizes then I can give my 90 to my brother and upgrade so I have adequate lighting then I have been so busy with my return and trigger massacre that I have not worried to much about it
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:24am
That is no fun though
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:27am
Originally posted by jeffras jeffras wrote:

Originally posted by frednwilma1999 frednwilma1999 wrote:

How bout a stretch goal? Go to six LFS and don't spend any money! LOL

How bout 3?

We can't even go to 1 without spending money!!   Embarrassed

I would also recommend that book on corals.  I have it and love it!
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:35am
Thanks for the help I now have research to do. I greatly appreciate it. jeff I will let you know on whether or not I will want to acquire the zoos etc I am done rushing into things this is not like my last hobby where I could play with something for a day and sell it for a profit the next. I kind of miss that cash flow though lol 
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:37am
So I take it the language I picked up in the oilfield is not smiled on here I will work on that so I am no longer edited
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:44am
I wish I had been setup before fragfest instead of after That place had alot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic