Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Presidency Nominations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
timothyuhl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothyuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Timothyuhl, That's really good food for thought. Do you have some suggestions?

I have *LOTS* of suggestions.  I've discussed some of them with Adam, but he clearly pointed out in his earlier post "We aren't looking to grow and expand, we aren't looking to sign some sponsors, and we aren't looking to be more professional."

That basically renders my suggestions useless.  I'm not saying restructure the damn club, or make sweeping changes.  The fact is there is a multi tiered benefit to having more members.

1) Better facilities are affordable with more member funding (raffles, dues, etc)
2) More members mean more input, activity, and "life" of the club.
3) As a larger group of individuals the WMAS would hold more clout with the local fish stores.  This would make club discounts, donations, etc, much more possible.

There are plenty of other reasons im missing.

I agree completely, it is nice to know your dollar is being put to good use.  But if the club can grow and reap more revenue from membership, why not add a few degrees of fun to club membership as well?  It'd kick butt if big ticket items could be raffled each week.  It'd be nice if a local fish store showed up to talk about specials they're offering members, I'd like to see something like a projector and computer for visual aids during presentations, etc, etc.

If the goal is to educate and support a community - why not do it on a larger scale?  Again, I'm in marketing so I'm a big thinker.

My only question, Why not?
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 4:04pm

I don't think Adam really meant we don't want the club to grow.

The problem is that over the last couple of years we have grown very quickly and it has been hard to keep everything working smoothly.

The more members the better, but we need more people that are willing to put in time to help the club.  It seems like it has always been the same people (with a couple of exceptions) that clean up after the meetings and are willing to take some time to help out when asked.  Even after people are elected to serve in the presidency only 1/3 of them actually show up to presidency meetings and contribute their time.

Timothyuhl

You have some great suggestions and hopefully you can help us implement some of them to better the club.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothyuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 5:04pm
Perhaps a minimal commitment should be required for a position in the presidency.  As Judy asked in another post - Do you have bylaws?

I can certainly appreciate your position in running things casually.  Yeah rules formalize things, but for a growing organization they're more or less required to sustain growth and establish an expected level of performance from individuals involved.  I understand how its hard to be demanding of a volunteer, but the fact is the WMAS is probably large enough there is someone else willing to do the job.

I'd fire someone who was elected and didnt fulfill their responsibilities.  A presidency position should be more than a popularity contest, as Adam pointed out.

I dont mean to start a fight, or sitr something but "sitting around" chaps my hide.  I see a LOT of potential, and much of it is being wasted.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 5:55pm
Adam - put me down for historian as well. I'd like to be part of ToM. I think it is worthwhile to showcase not only aquariums themselves, but also the different techniques and philosophys people use to be successful.

I hope it's ok to nominate yourself.

(maybe we need to divide this job geographically - ie. North & South) ????
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 6:04pm

I can't remember how much Adam said the club has grown, but it occurs to me that the presidency must take an awful lot of time.  Just thinking of the number of times that Adam has responded to e-mails, plus the things we don't know that he does (like talking to the seahorse.org director at 10:00pm our time) and I assume that he Has A Life... what about a co-presidency?  Might be a kooky idea, and that's probably the reason for having 12 people or so in the leadership of the club. 

Speaking of that, I was amazed and thrilled to see my name on the list!  I'd love to help, and I would work hard at any position.  Currently I am an instructor on Hill AFB.  I teach computer programs, financial classes, and different math classes.  I have been a personal financial manager, oral surgery assistant, and was in the USMC for 4 years.  I also have a Master's degree in Human Relations.  (If they offered one in animal or fish relations, I would have much preferred it!)So I am motivated and dedicated... but what can I do to help?  I am a good speaker, and good at research.   I live in Ogden.  Has anyone ever thought about doing a more "local" WMAS - like South SLC, or Ogden, or whatever?  I'd love to have a way to know who lives near me that I could give some algae to, or frags, or beg for help if the power goes out.  Somebody tell me what's really needed, and I'll be hot on its tracks!  As timothyuhl says, we've got "a LOT of potential!"

~Renee

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 7:22pm

Okay I'll do my best to address everything, but feel free to write back with whatever I miss.

Renee- I don't have a life.

Timothy- I guess there is a difference between saying we want to actively recruit members, and the idea of knowing we are going to grow anyway.  For instance, we have had 12 new people at each of the last 4 meetings.  That is unreal growth.  So I guess I miss spoke saying we didn't want to grow, what I'm saying is we don't really have to try anymore.  (at least that is how the presidency has been seeing it). 
Also, don't we use a computer and projector for just about every presentation?

Everyone- to ask questions about what the WMAS wants to do, or what our goals are really shouldn't be sent to me.  In one week, all those goals will change as we will have a new presidency.  We do have By Laws, but they are for more procedural matters, not items like "what are we going to do for the next 4 meetings" or anything like that.
The idea of a large permanent meeting place is always an issue, and trust me I'm working on it.  In fact, big meeting regarding that coming up in two weeks, ask me then.

Our marketing and public relations position will be centered around.... well whatever the presidency wants.  Obviously the Reef Tour and a Christmas charity are high up on the list.  But that marketing can be to the public hobbyists, other clubs, product manufactures, elementary schools, local stores, internet stores, who knows?  Recently the club chose to no longer make all the efforts to partner up and work with the local stores.  That decision was made because after 6 years we realized the stores just don't care.  Take a look at the stores that do support us and look how many of them are posting in our LFS section on this board.  The current stance (and this can always change) is to showcase stores on our site with an upcoming Sponsors Page that will encourage other stores to be more supportive.

And I do have to back up something Jake said.  We do get lots of ideas and suggestions, but I can already tell you who the 4 people will be sweeping the floor after the next meeting.  There are some people we just know we can count on.

I'm really glad to have all the responses so far.  I'm sure they will all be read during the next presidency meeting, and I'm sure the next presidency will be looking for lots of input on where the club should go.

Keep the ideas comin'

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothyuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 8:23pm

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Timothy- I guess there is a difference between saying we want to actively recruit members, and the idea of knowing we are going to grow anyway.  For instance, we have had 12 new people at each of the last 4 meetings.  That is unreal growth.  So I guess I miss spoke saying we didn't want to grow, what I'm saying is we don't really have to try anymore.  (at least that is how the presidency has been seeing it). 
Also, don't we use a computer and projector for just about every presentation?

12 new people weekly is good.  What if those numbers could be doubled or tripled?  How cool would that be?  It might make your task of finding a new place a little easier (as I suspect your budget would be different).

You also mention that the LFSs dont really care for your support.  I find it odd that rather than try another approach, you would just quit.  No decision born of frustration is a good one.  I'll say it again, a "LOT of potential."

As far as the computer & projector goes - I didnt see one at the last meeting.  Pardon my ignorance.

Heh, maybe I should be nominated for club trouble maker.  ;)

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 8:25pm
I would like to be part of the council. Basically I would like to get more involved with the club and help out with ideas and such.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 10:00pm
I'd just like to echo what Bruce (Pistonfisher) has said. Any way I can be involved would be great. Hopefully more people like me will stop sitting on the fence, and get involved. I'm proud of the group that has come forward so far. This could be a very good year for the WMAS.

Edited by Ryan Willden
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 7:22am

Tim,

I guess you are correct, no projector last meeting.  But we almost always have one.  In fact click to the left <---- on presentations and you can view a couple from last year.  Other than coral cutting seminars I'm hard pressed to think of a meeting with the powepoint.
And this next part should really be answered by Mark, but I'll try.  We tried, and tried, and tried all sorts of ideas to work with local stores. And we didn't quit, the newest idea is a Sponsor's Page, and also the LFS section of this website.  All stores were mailed form letters expressing our interest to work together and to see them become more active on our site just 2 months ago.  My point is this, take a store, I'll pick on Aquatic Dreams since everyone likes them.  They're great, we like 'em, the like us.... but they still haven't posted anything for sale here.  And last meeting they donated a bunch of stuff, but still couldn't get away from their store to come and talk about it. 
Another example.  We have offered the whole next meeting to Brine Shrimp Direct to come and promote their store, their products, their facility and to do whatever they want.  The owner is very excited to give us stuff and get his name out.  However, this is the 3rd time we've tried this and they have declined the offer to visit the club and to prepare a presentation. 

One more issue.  If our membership tripled that would suck.  This club would collapse.  We are on the verge of that anyway.  If I decline the nomination for president (which I often consider) that leaves one nominee JON FINCH!!! and he is adamant about not winning.  Some people (maybe including me, depending on the day) think we are already to big, and need to split into two clubs.  I'm not saying that is the best thing, but I will say that if anyone had stepped up and wanted to be president of a second club, we would have split months ago.

These are all the exact issues we have battled since the club began, and will always battle.  I guess the basic idea of "what is the purpose of the club" and "who are we out to serve" will always be at the heart of discussions.  My answer has always been this... "whatever the presidency decides".  I'm glad you are bringing up these questions, I like discussing them, so feel free to keep asking away.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 9:26am
To Tim and anyone else who may feel there are not enough perks to be a member in this fine club: Before I new of this club I can't tell you how many times I wanted to have store personel and or owners come to my house to give advise, constructive critisism or mabey show me how to glue or stitch a coral etc. There are members including myself who will make house calls like this. Infact my aquarium is in a phase where it could use a house call.

I'm confident there are several members who would put forth this kind of effort (effortlessly).   It's much more than b.s.ing about aquariums. Don't get me wrong is certainly includes it.

Mark Peterson mentioned other areas of membership value. I can't recall ever being able to frag my own cutting at a store for 5 bucks like the club provides for us at our cutting seminars. This is merely a drop in the bucket. I enjoy the opportunity of being able to ask an experienced club member to visit my aquarium while I'm on vacation then later returning the favor.

This web board which has huge value is sponsered by the WMAS through the wonderful efforts put forth by one of our most dedicated members, Vice President and Web Master, Jake Pehrson, is available for anyone to use however membership is encouraged.

I'm not looking to debate the subject of membership, I'm just sharing a few things that I and numbers of other people would consider perks to being a member.

I hope this helps.   

Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 10:48am

to Steve for that comment.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 9:35pm
I just got told that I got nomiated for a counsel seat or other position.  I have told Jake that I will pay my dues at the next meeting so that I will be eligeable to run.  Thanks to whoever nominated me and I would love to be elected.  Jake didn't know what position I got nominated for but I am assuming that it is a counsel seat.  If not, someone please fill me in.  Thanks!!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 10:04pm

Marcus,

The position was council member.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2004 at 9:05am

Thanks Jake. 

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2004 at 9:21am
   That's not what my computer says you're nominated for....

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2004 at 10:52pm
Suzy, was it "SMARTASS"?  I hope so. 
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 5:37am
Is "smartass" the same as "troublemaker"?

I'm voting for you! But, I wanna nominate Carl for this illustrious
position!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 7:32am

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 8:15am

Thanks Suzy!

I second the Carl nomination.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic