Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow tang with chicken pox?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow tang with chicken pox?
    Posted: February 25 2004 at 7:30am

When I turned my lights on today my yellow tang had little teeny white spots  all over him very evenly spaced.  Like little white chicken pocks.  They looked like bubbles under just actinics but now I'm not so sure.  I don't remember them being there yesterday.  Is this a type of ich or something?  If I could find my camera cable I would post a picture... as is I have no way of getting a pic onto the computer.

Thanks!

Brian

Edited by Meeshi_ma
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:18am
Sounds like Ich. Check your water params. Ich can come on fairly quickly. Search on this site for Garlic, and you will find a wealth of information about treating with Garlic Soaked foods. It works! Trust me. I've used it before, and it works every time.

Edited by Ryan Willden
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:33am

Run a search on the internet or even here for ich. It's fairly common in the hobby unfortunately and extremely common in newer systems and I would bet $ that this is the culprit. There are many theorys that the ich parasite always lives in the system, but can only attack a fish that is stressed and weakened due to poor water conditions, transplant, whatever.

Many things that you can do to help, but the key will be to act soon if it is indeed ich. Cleaner gobies, cleaner wrasse, cleaner shrimmp, etc can help. A water change (10-20 %) may help. Something that worked for me is called No-Marine Ich. I would dose at max recommended dosage for the entire duration that it calls out. You can pick this up at most LFS.

After setup of my newer system several of my fishies got ich. I had a gold stripe maroon in particular that had a nasty side wound with a worm hanging out of it about 1/8 th inch. I dosed No-Marine Ich and 3 days later there were no spots on the fish and the parasite on the GSM was gone. Since then, it's healed over and I have had no other outbreaks.

Just my experience.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:36am

Thanks for the advice!  I just noticed that one of my little clowns has a bigger white bump on him too, although its on his white stripe and tough to see.  I'll do a water change now and see if I can pick some stuff up later on today.  Does anti-ich medication contain copper?

Thanks!

Brian

Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 11:04am

Ok, when I went to do all of the things we had talked about, the spots were gone!  Weird, huh?  Oh well, they probably are about due for a water change anyway.  :)

Brian

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 11:15am
Even if the spots appear to be gone, they still more than likely have the Parasite. They seem to be more translucent under certain types of light than others. I'd still take a couple of the precautions listed above.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 11:17am
Weird but normal!
Ich often recedes into the fishes body when the lights come on in the morning.

You need to start feeding garlic soaked food ASAP

Recommend you not buy expensive ich medications until after using garlic. Garlic is the best cure and prevention I've seen or heard of. There is a prepared frozen food with garlic which I know is available at MSM because I just bought some and posted in another thread about my Blue Tang that was cured in a day.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kingsspot1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsspot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 1:46pm

I really tiried to resist posting this but...

Meeshi-ma don't you mean "Yellow Tang with Tuna Pox"?

Tuna is the chicken of the sea.

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 2:36pm

Kingsspot, that's a good one!

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic