Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish ID
    Posted: February 26 2004 at 9:01am

I got a fish the other day and when I bought it they told me it was a green leaf wrasse, but it isnt. I was planning on taking a picture of it and posting it but last night when I was putting a sponge on my overflow box I found him in there Dead, he must have jumped in or something I am not quite sure.Cry I just found a web page that has a picture of a fish like him on it http://www.goldmaniac.com/fishtank.htm  does anyone know the real name? I would really like to get another one ( hopefully not one on a death mission)... 

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 9:29am
My six-line wrasse has been through my plumbing into the sump twice in the last month without any problems... but he's probably a little smaller then yours.  I haven't gotten around to making the necessary changes to my overflows.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 9:45am

Over 600 species of wrasse, so this is a long shot.  First of all, can you tell me what store you bought it at, or where in the world it may have come from?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is a Novaculichthys macrolepidotus but that is really out there.

Maybe someone else here will be of more help.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 10:48am

Adam -

I bought it at Aquatica, it was listed as a green leaf wrasse and that is all I know! I havent ever seen one at a store before so I probably won't again unless I know what it is!  I guess I better fix my overflows first though. As of right now it is a pretty good jump and I am really surprised he didnt end up on the floor. Maybe the sponges I just put on will stop the next one from going into the sump. I will look into the name you gave me   Thanks a lot,

Tresa

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 11:07am

Tresa,

I would ask Shawn at Aquatica.  Often times they get scientific names listed on their availability lists.  He may be of more help.

Adam

Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 12:20pm
I believe Shawn told me (if it is the same one) it was a Pencil Wrasse.  Try that common name in your search.
Richard
Alpine, UT
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 10:22am
 I cant seem to find out what he was Confused but thanks for the help! The one from the web page was a jumper too -maybe I shouldnt get another one!
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 10:46am
Richard
Alpine, UT
meterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 11:58am
Fish 4U had a similar looking fish last Thursday, 2-19.  I don't recall what they called it, but it looked very similar to the pictures.  They still might have it.
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2004 at 12:53pm

Meterman,

If it is the one they had Tuesday - it is a chameleon. They look a lot alike just different colors. I am not sure if Chameleons come that green color - everything I have found on the net has been the wrong color - thanks for the help - for some reason I have become obsessed with finding out what type he was! 

Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 8:20pm
I was at Aquatica tonight (hi Shawn) and you were right Adam, that is what it was. Hopefully he is getting another one on Monday, losing that one broke my daughters heartCry  Thank you for everyones help. 
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 8:45pm

Are you kidding me? Really?  That just made my day.  I surprised myself on that one.  I was shootin' in the dark to name that guy.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic