Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 of 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adamschrage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamschrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 of 3
    Posted: August 17 2007 at 12:50pm
I got three Banggai Cardinals and have lost one. I have checked everywhere outside of the tank thinking he might have jumped. I also checked my sump and he isn't there. So I guess he has died and is still in my tank. I'm wondering if I should just leave him in there and let the clean up crew take care of him or should I move some rock and try and find him. I really don't want to remove the rock as this was just done Sunday. Its wierd when I checked on them before I went to bed all three were doing fine then in the morning there was only two. I don't have anything in the tank to eat him.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 12:53pm
Leave him.  If you can easily see and retrieve a dead fish then do so.  If not, don't disturb the tank to find it.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 12:53pm
You don't have a cleaning crew at all??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamschrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 1:00pm

When I said I don't have anything to eat him I meant in a bad way such as a lionfish, trigger, or grouper. I have a good cleanup crew.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 1:04pm
The clean up crew should make short work of him.

Mike

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 1:07pm
Oh!  Well Adam B. is correct the tank will get the dead fishie Dead 

As far as what got him - I think Bangaii's wild caught have a really hard time surviving because of the method used to catch them.  Tank raised are have the best survival rate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 1:17pm
It's real possible the other two took him out.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamschrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 2:05pm
Whats the method of catching them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 2:16pm
I don't recall the method being detrimental but the number of individuals being collected vs the number left in the wild is quickly depleting the population. They do breed well in captivity and we have a few people in this club that have or still are breeding them.

Mike

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 4:19pm
Some of the methods used to are poison fishing i.e sodium cyanide Cry- one of the main reasons why Fish 4 U won't bring in Bangaiis anymore. 

But if you had three - the other two could of just beat the crap out of him/her too.

Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 5:02pm
If you have an overflow check in there. Check multiple time :). I looked in my overflow 3 or 4 times before I saw my fish that had been lost swimming around in there. I just went over to my brother-in-laws this week and found one of his fish in the overflow... Not sure why they like the overflow so much. But I prefer them in there, than on the floor :)
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 5:08pm
How's the mandarin doing btw??
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 6:52pm
not too good. She was weak and met my pump :(
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 9:19am
Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

But if you had three - the other two could of just beat the crap out of him/her too.

Bangaii pair up and ostracize the remaining individuals. Buying three or more is how you can be sure to get a breeding pair. But this early in the game, it may simply have been the weaker of the three. Time will tell. It could be cyanide but I had the understanding that it's something in the handling and shipment after capture that is leading to early mortality.Dead
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic