Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building my FIRST acrylic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building my FIRST acrylic
    Posted: March 02 2004 at 11:03pm

I plan to build a turtle tank. 48-24-12/18". I got some acrylic tonight from regional and had some 1/2 recently discovered acrilic that was 18x18. So I had some experiment stuff to play with.

I got out my table saw, cheepo 10" with a plastic housing 100$ home depot special with a fine tooth wood blade ,sorry I don't have a tooth count. I cut some plexy and it worked but kinda melted. Acrylic didn't melt and cut good. I started with a small peice of trimoff that was 1/2 wide. Glued the two peices with weld#3? I tried a little bit of glue, but it wasn't acting like enough. So i slopped it on there and could see the seam "disapear" I then held it for a sec and put it in the bench vice for "pressure". Well hours later it was REALLY hard to break apart in the vice.

I got more of the thick stuff and cut it at 45* and flipped it over and glued it. It seemed to work good to, but we broke it apart a little pre-mature.

I then tried to glue more of the 1/2" together smooth side to smooth side and it didn't seem to work well.

So, do all surfaces that the glue is aplied to need to be "rough" for it to bond?

Why don't more people cut a square tank with 45* sides for looks?

I have heard of the "pin" technique, what is the benefit of this and can you use toothpics instead? Or do you really need to do it?

What is the best way to apply the glue?

Tomorow I torch practice

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 11:15pm

Try looking here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&thre adid=96763&highlight=acrylic

There is a lot of good information.

If you need more help there are many people on the message board that have built their own acrylic stuff.

In fact Adam (our president) demonstrated building and acrylic refugium about 6-8 months ago.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 11:39am
I wouldn't recommend using any other method other
than the pin method. I have had beautiful seams
using it. Ive been using the wires from twisty-ties.
You can also use sewing pins or hypodermic
needles ( 25 gauge is good). The edges need to be
smooth for a good joint. The link Jake gave is by far
the best thing to read to understand what you're
getting yourself into. You'll probably need to take a
day off work to finish reading through it, but its worth
it. Here is the Cliff's notes version to that link if you
don't have a free weekend...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1 171757

Edited by BananaTropics
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 11:50am
To create a hyperlink you can use the  button.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 12:10pm

Also, if you need to borrow some squaring jigs, i'll be
done with mine in a few days (I hope...)  

I also have a bunch of Weld-on #4 and #16 and some applicator bottles if anyone needs some.

Edited by BananaTropics
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic