Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worlds First Floating Refugium?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worlds First Floating Refugium?
    Posted: March 04 2004 at 12:59pm

OK, maybe not the worlds first, but I've never seen this before so it's time I show the world what I've done with my refugium.

Some Background info:  I bought Suzy's 180 gallon tank with all of the equipment she had on it.  I have made some small changes to the setup but nothing big until recently.  She had a little homemade acrylic sump that was doing a nice job, but I simply wanted something bigger.  After seeing Eric's (Fireshrimp's) sump I was inspired to do something BIG.  At first I was saving money to purchase the acrylic to put together exactly what I wanted.

After thinking about it for a while and trying to decide exactly what I could do that would fit in the space avaiable it dawned on me that I had a HUGE Rubbermaid tub that I had purchased to use as a temporary sump on the tank at my office.  It was sitting in my garage doing nothing.  After measuring it I found it was exactly the size to fit in my stand.  I now had an 80 gallon sump.

The only thing I needed to figure out now was how to do a refugium inside that tub.  Not wanting to go out and buy anything I found a styrofoam shipping container on hand that would fit great in the tub.  I drilled 6 holes in each of 2 sides of the foam container for water to overflow through.

"Before I put this under the tank I'd better make sure it works and that the Rubbermaid still holds water."  So everything in the bathtub and fill it up with water.  "Crap!!!"  Why didn't it dawn on me that the Stryofoam container would float?  Well, maybe it will be OK once I have the substrate and Live Rock in it. 

So I set it all up and here it is...

The most interesting thing about this as I found out when I turned the pump on and off several time to make sure I didn't have any overflow problems was that the sump can be extra full while the tank is running and if the power is cut and there is more water than the sump can technically handle the refugium will float.  Thus adding extra capacity to the sump.  This may be only 3-5 gallons, but that can mean the difference between a gallon of water on the carpet  and none at all.

Any comments on this setup or any helpful criticizm would be gladly accepted.

Edited by wsinbad1
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 1:24pm
HolyMoly!!! That's a SUMP! Cool!

I'm impressed!!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 1:31pm

Suzy, in order to get it in there I had to cut out the front support between the doors, put the tub in and replace the support.  It was a bit of work, but I think it was worth it.

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 1:54pm

Wow, great idea.  I've been trying to think of something cheap like this.  I think I may have to steal your idea.

Let me know how it works over the next little while.  I guess I would worry about the styrofoam breaking and cracking over time.

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 2:07pm
I like the "floating" aspect - in that you get more volume in case the power goes off. Great idea!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 2:30pm
This sounds like a great idea, but it was more like a side effect of not thinking things through.  Usually I get into trouble when I do that.  This just happened to work out to my benefit instead of my detriment.
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 2:42pm
That is similar to my sump except that my refugium doesn't float.  It is a plastic container sitting on top of a pvc frame I built.  Check it out here http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1434& PN=2&TPN=2
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 2:44pm
Hey! that is what I've been wanting to do!  I love the idea of having a big tub as the sump with everything contained inside it.  I was going to use stilts for my refugium but I really like the floating idea.  I will be interested to see how the styrofoam is holding up 6 months from now. 
In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 11:35pm
Very cool Kevin.  I think I've seen those pictures before.  Mine sump is a rather flimsy rubbermaid compared to yours.  Yours looks more like the ones we use for our horse troghs.  Very sturdy! Doesn't yours hold more than 80 gallons?   I love your setup but I have nowhere to put that kind of stuff except under my sump.  If I tried to take up more space for my tanks wife wife would be my ex-wife in a real hurry.
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 5:42am
Will, you're exactly right.  My sump is made out of a 100g rubbermaid horse trough.  They do come in various sizes.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 6:12pm
Sorry, but styrofoam degrades in the water. I advise not using a piece that size as it may have bad effects after a while. I once had small pieces in my sump for some reason that I cannot remember now The pieces seemed to lose about 20% of their mass during about a year.

To be frank, I don't see the big deal with separating things. It seems like people want to complicate things. The biggest concern is not to have sand sucked into the pump. Simply setting a powerhead on some rock or adding an elbow and strainer to an external pump inlet solves that problem.

Setting the pump inlet higher in the sump also helps prevent the sump from pumping dry thereby overflowing the main tank, if for some reason the main tank overflow were to clog up.

Sometimes the Skimmer needs to have a higher water level but often can sit on the sand.

It's a fun idea but the amount of sand and rock in the styrofoam box above could easily be piled in only one corner of that tub. There is room for a lot more good stuff in there without the floating box.

My 2 cents
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 11:08pm
I separate my sump and refugia so I can run a slower rate of water through it and so it doesn't clog my pump.
leviwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leviwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 12:45am

It looks nice.  I find it very creative.  By the way I wouldn't worry too much about the styrofoam degrading.  Do a search on styrofoam and you'll find that it has an excellent resistance to  water, water vapor, acids, bases, brines, alcohol, and even resistance to wet freeze-thaw cycling.  On the other hand it has poor resistance to hydrocarbons, olefins, napthas, ketones, and vinyl esters.   Anyways it would still be interesting to see how it holds up.

Edited by leviwin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 9:56am

Like Marcus I keep the fuge separate from the sump so that I can run a slower rate of water through the fuge.  I know he probably mean totally separate, but I run about half my overflow through the fuge and half through a sock in the sump.  This way I keep the sand out of the pump and also keep most of the Caulerpa out of the pump.  What little bit of Caulerpa makes it out of the fuge into the sump and through the pump is fair game for my Tangs and Angels.

I'm going to leave the stryrofoam unless I notice it breaking down.  1) I couldn't think of any reason it should and 2) I'm sick of messing with this thing.  I just want it to sit there and look good for a while.

What I didn't say in the initial post was that in doing this project I did a couple stupid things, (like leaving running water while I ate dinner), and ended up with 80 gallons of water on the carpet.    Then I tried to fix something else the next weekend and created a leak in my overflow that left another 40 gallons of water on the carpet.  Sufficeth to say, "I'm sick of cleaning water out of the carpet."  I promised myself that I would not mess with the water except to top it off for several months.  The only thing I'm doing to this tank in the near future is adding MH lighting.   WoooHooo!!!  (That doesn't involve messing with the water.  I Hope...)

Anyway, while I had such a mess on the floor, I figured it was a good time to tear down my tank, which I had been planning to do in a couple months, and recreate my reef structure.  It used to be one big mountain of rock.  Now it looks much better in my opinion.  I'll post some pics in a few minutes if I can get some good ones.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 10:04am

Here's some pics...

ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 9:50pm
I love it the way you have it now.  It's one of the coolest tanks around, but then a mother must be rejudice right?   Please, no more water on the floor.
Linda Spencer
West Jordan
From My little corner of the sea
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by leviwin leviwin wrote:

By the way I wouldn't worry too much about the styrofoam degrading.  Do a search on styrofoam and you'll find that it has an excellent resistance to  water, water vapor, acids, bases, brines, alcohol, and even resistance to wet freeze-thaw cycling.

How do I say this, uhmmm .... you evidently have not used styrofoam in an active refugium for a year. I have and I would not use this floating box concept except as a temporary thing. [edit] Perhaps, it's not only the chemical properties but the biological action that degrades it.

Will has an artistic flair. The aquarium looks fantastic.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 11:08pm

It could be the UV from the refugium lights that causes the degradation...

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2004 at 6:14am
COOL! Very To'tM!!
leviwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leviwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

It could be the UV from the refugium lights that causes the degradation...

I would have to agree with you Jon, I think this also causes PFDs or life jackets to go bad.  I have also noticed that the styrofoam they use for floating docks is covered with a black plastic to keep out the light and they seem to last for years.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic