Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tragedy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tragedy
    Posted: January 20 2003 at 6:05am

The hippo tang that I saved from ich started to get it back again. He still seemed allot healthier than before and was eating. I started to dose garlic for a couple of days by soaking a drop in the food. I woke up yesterday and my hippo was dead and my phycodelic gobey. That sucks!!! The only other fish in this tank is my firefish who for now seems uneffected. I check the water weekly but under the circumstances checked it right away. everything was good except nitrates were about 10ppm.

Question do you think that I dosed to much garlic. or is it possible the garlic killed the gobey and the ich killed the tang? Can too much garlic kill fish? Or can it kill certain fish?

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2003 at 11:40am

Sorry to hear that.  I soak my food in a whole gel tab of garlic (about 4 or 5 drops) and have not experienced any ill effects so far.  My fish have actually shown the reverse.  I have a mandarin goby, foxface, firefish, clown, and royal gramma in my tank and all are doing well.  When I have lost a fish in the past, I found that my nitrates were a bit high, and that my salinity was low.  Other than that, maybe others out there can help.  - Jared.

paulataylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulataylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2003 at 12:11pm

I found in my tank I lost a few fish to ich even with garlic but after I introduced cleaner shrimp the very next day the fish had improved and it took about 3 to 4 weeks with garlic and cleaner shrimp and it was gone.

After I introduced the shrimp I never lost any more fish.

Its amazing how fast the fish buddied up with the shrimp, within 5 minutes some of the fish were laying on their side next to the shrimp just waiting to be cleaned up, the shrimp were scared at first and tried to get away, but soon went to work doing what they do.

The success I had with the shrimp I believe is because the shrimp reach into the fishes mouth and gills and remove the ich as well as the outer body.

With out this cleaning  the fish soffocate.

By the way  where is the spell check on this system?

see ya.

Paul A. Taylor
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2003 at 3:50pm
Use Kyolic Garlic Extract for good results. 10 Drops to a cup of food (Flakes/Brine/Etc.) and freeze it. Break a chunk off and throw it in the sump, or defrost it in a cup of warm water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic