Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Future Meetings and Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future Meetings and Suggestions
    Posted: March 08 2004 at 2:00pm

The new presidency will be meeting soon to discuss the future path of the club, as well as to plan out the next six months of meetings.  If you have ideas or suggestions please post them here. I will print out this topic and go over it during the upcoming meeting.

Thanks everyone.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 8:00pm

Adam: I've heard several people suggest that you give us the info you prepared for the people in Hawaii.  Especially since none of us got to go listen to it there.

Better yet, how about for the next meeting we all go to Hawaii and you can take us out to collect fish and corals.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 8:55pm

I don't know how exciting that lecture would be.  For those who haven't heard, I am scheduled as a Headline Speaker for IMAC in June.  That appearance is basically confirmed at this point, and I don't see much chance of it falling through.  That article, and presentation are a little more of hobbyist interest. 

Thanks for the suggestion Will.  I'm not sure how the rest of the club feels, but I would prefer to not present to our club since I think most of you hear enough from me, and are probably tired of listening to me speak.  I'm sure we can find some better presenters.

Adam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 8:57pm

Oh yah, and I'm not opposed to taking people out collecting.  I would like to organize a much larger collecting trip for everyone, but not to Hawaii, you can't collect corals there. 
Maybe somewhere down the road we'll do this.  It was brought up several years ago.

Adam

dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 10:28pm
I'd be up for a meeting on tank photography. Methods, tips, tricks, editing, framing shots, journal ideas (tracking growth/additions), etc. I know this isn't directly an aquarium topic, but what's the use of having a beautiful tank if you can't share it through pictures? (Other than just sitting in front of it for hours and enjoying it in person!) Is anyone else interested enough in this topic to dedicate a whole meeting to it?

Another interesting meeting topic might be to talk about all of the living things that go into our tanks... Fish, invertabrates, coral, etc. along with compatibility, recommended tank size and water parameters, and local club member experiences and recommendations.

I know not everyone's into small tanks, but I'd personally be interested in a meeting dedicated to nano reefs, maybe discussing everything from filtration and lighting options to tank inhabitants and special small tank considerations for stability.

Another idea might be a meeting for product reviews. We could pick several different types of items and have general group discussions on the brands/types people use in their tanks and their positive/negative experiences. It could be our "Consumer Reports" meeting. Items might include heaters, lights, foods, additives, filters, powerheads, etc.

Then, there are always the general "how to" meetings where we could discuss just about any aspect of setting up or maintaining a marine aquarium.

I'd enjoy a talk on collection techniques. Of course, I would LOVE to go on a group dive trip somewhere to collect some cool corals. Can't we say it's to fuel the WMAS Propagation Project and do a fundraiser or something?

Edited by dianatabor
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 6:54am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Oh yah, and I'm not opposed to taking
people out collecting.  I would like to organize a much larger
collecting trip for everyone, but not to Hawaii, you can't collect
corals there.  Maybe somewhere down the road we'll do this.  It was
brought up several years ago.

Adam

Adam, if we really do this, can we have like 7 months advance
notice? I would actually have to work to pay for Mr Big and I, and I
will need some time to lose (at least) 20 lbs!! (We would be wearing
swimming attire, right? It's kinda hard to hide that extra belly fat!)

I'll start saving my plastic bags!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 12:39pm
I have one more idea, and I'd actually be willing to talk about this one...

We could have a meeting all about marine aquascaping (a.k.a. aquarium design).

We could start by covering the basics of tank layout (what to put where, according to lighting, compatibility, water movement, etc.).

Then, we could move onto some more advanced techniques and tips to add impact and tank interest. Rock, corals, invertabrates, and fish can all be used as mixed media as we create our marine masterpieces. We could cover artistic rock selection/arrangement and using show pieces, shapes, textures, and colors to add visual interest. We could also discuss various coral arrangement techniques to make the most of what we have, including grouping (all zoos, sponges, or 'shrooms together), layering (tall specimens with bright requirements over short lower-light specimens), and scattering (greatest impact from quantity).

We could even look at pictures of some of our local tanks and have the owner explain why they chose that design, what they would change (if anything), and what they would recommend to others.

By combining a little creativity and personal preference with a basic understanding of arrangement options, anyone can create a visually appealing tank that will make people stop and say "Wow!"

What do you think?
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 1:22pm

I want to learn more about arragocrete

and how about plywood tanks?  I know Keodog has experience with that.

and while the new presidency is discussing suggestions.  I am still lobbying for PayPal as a method of paying dues.

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 1:27pm
Jared - you now can pay your dues via paypal. Click the link on the left  "about wmas", then there is a link to pay online.

Edited by ssilcox
DVadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 1:41pm
I'm up for dianatabor's ideas. Tank photography would be great. I just got a digital camera that does macro shots and would like to know what shutter speed and lighting settings would work best.

The aquascaping sounds good too.
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 1:44pm

WoooHooooooo!!!!
I am a Paid Member!  Now you are all going to get the opinions that I've been holding back!

Jake one comment: 
It was difficult to use the payment link because it kept me in the wmas frameset.  I want to see the https:// and the little lock in my status bar.  I was going to go on and pay anyway but the paypal transaction had a cookie problem and croaked.  When I linked into the payment page outside the frame set everything worked fine.

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 2:08pm

I'd like to see a DIY seminar, particularly some info on factory like acrylic working presented by Jon, and maybe it could include aragocrete, stand and canopy building, DIY lighting, and the like.

Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 2:09pm
Congrats on joinin' up Jared, and thanks again for the 'shroom bits, starting to shape out already.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 4:20pm
I like chrisslc's idea about a DIY session! It would be great to learn more about working with acrylic and to watch other DIY creations in action. Good suggestion.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 8:32pm
If it's true that only 1/4 of the club members are here on this board, would there be any interest in a Question and Answer session?  Maybe have a panel of people who would offer answers/opinions on any question, but most of the answers and discussions would come from the group at large.  Kind of an organized bull session.  I would like to get to know and learn from the 3/4 that aren't here.

Edited by jfinch
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 7:29am
Kinda like the tank setup seminar, I thought that went great. One of the funnest meetings I've been to so far. maybe we could have a preset list of topics and dedicate them each a time limit like adam did there. That and a DIY meeting would be cool IMO.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 7:48am

I like the DIY acrylic bit.  And maybe something on specialty tanks--like sea horses, and predator/agressive tanks?

Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
DVadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 2:36pm
Another thing that would be interesting is a presentation on acclimation of fish and coral. Seeing what others do when introducing new corals and fish to the tank. I'm very interested to know if people add the water from others tanks to theirs and if not, how add the specimins in this manner without alot of trauma.

Edited by DVadar
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 6:55pm
DVadar, this was done just two meetings ago. Haven't seen you at the meetings lately...time to renew

Here is a run down to give you some info.

Acclimation can be as quick as gently setting fish and water into a small container next to the tank and lifting the fish with a clean hand out of the container into the tank. (this is what I do) Water temperature may not be so important as we think for several good reasons that I won't go into unless you ask.

If the organism has been in the LFS bag for more than a couple hours there is a toxicity issue which makes it best to do the quick procedure above. Jake can explain this really well if you ask.

At the other end of the "acclimation spectrum" is slowly dripping tank water into the bag or container until the volume is doubled and then setting the bag/container in the water to release it.

It is VERY important to know whether the fish were in coppered water at the LFS. If so, do Not add that water to the tank.

But Do add water that comes with inverts/coral because that adds biodiversity of bacteria, etc. to your tank

Nets are damaging to fish scales and gills so I've stopped using nets whenever possible.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 10:34pm
Ditto Marks comments on acclimation.  If the fish came from a fish store assume they use copper and don't add the water.  Adding the water with inverts from the fish store is really up to you.  But I like Adam's suggestion "if the tank they came out of looks better then your tank then add the water, if the tank looked worse, don't".  It's up to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic