Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Way too exciting to wait ....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Way too exciting to wait ....
    Posted: March 09 2004 at 7:02am
   for Adam's reply! In another post Adam hinted about doing a club
dive! That is so exciting. I could go to an OCEAN!! And dive with
people who have done this before!!! People who know who to catch
fish and bag fish and ship fish and get a license and find the really
cool ones and cook crab in a fireplace next to the ocean and party
and swim and get saltwater in my hair!!!!!!

So, where would we go?

And, one piece or two?

And, is there like a special conditioner that protects your color
from the saltwater? Or, does it matter?

How much is a plane ticket to the great barrier reef? Or, is there a
reef in Cancun? Do you guys like Margaritas?

If we went to Florida, could I get some seahorses?
Chem Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 7:10am
We can go to to the Pacific Northwest. I used to live near the Oregon coast. The water is a balmy 50-55F and you colect fish with a speargun. Dig a few clams (chowder, of course) and a couple dungeness crabs, and dinner is served! Admittedly, not as much color as you are used to seeing in your tank, but lots of neat critters.

Jim LaMunyon

Richmond, Utah
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 7:29am
SO COOL! Why did you move here? I've heard, the people in Oregon
never have to shovel snow! Did you cook the crabs right on the
beach?

We could drive to Oregon! And maybe stop at Garf on the way.
Sounds way cheaper than the Great Barrier Reef, but maybe we could
go some where a little warmer...

What Mexican reef is closest to the equator? Would that be the
warmest water in the world?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 7:33am
Hey, what about Southern California? Or, Tijuana? We could drive
there, but I've heard plane flights can be found relatively cheaply if
we do the red eye thing....
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 11:51am

Nevermind one piece or two Suzy.  If we go to the Oregon coast you're going to need a full body wetsuit.   50 degrees it FREEZING!!!!

I say we all take a Carribean Cruz!  Then we can party on the ship and dive in a couple of different places.

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 12:09pm
Carribean for sure!
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 12:46pm

Suzy,

If Adam is not organizing, maybe we should tag along with "Seti007" - Asad make trips twice a year to Florida and camps on the beach. I was unable to go when he went a few weeks ago, but I am probably going this fall (if he will let me tag along :-)

Arjen.

Edited by DutchDude
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 1:08pm

Wow, there is a lot of stuff to discuss before we could do anything like this.  Maybe lets wait until after the April meeting, I think that will clarify some stuff on a club trip.

By the way, my diving partner laughs at anyone who wears ANYTHING under their wet suits.  He's one of them California surfers who when presented with the options of one piece or two, chooses zero.

The basic two questions for collecting is this... how much do you want to spend, and what do you want to get?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 1:11pm
My vote is for the Carribean as well! I don't really care where. Anywhere that has unique corals, 'cause that's what I'd be sampling. When I went diving in Belize, it was absolutely gorgeous! I'm not sure where collection is legal, though. We'd have to check on that.

And, Suzy, about protecting your color from the saltwater, I think you should be fine.
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 2:14pm

Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

I've heard, the people in Oregon
never have to shovel snow! Did you cook the crabs right on the
beach?

Expect for the suckers that live in Sisters. My family and I caught the limit in Newport two years ago for everyone in two boats, 8 people at 12 crabs a piece = 96 crabs, we set up a big fire and a giant pot right on the beach and stuffed ourselves sick, and still took home bags and bags of frozen crab! I'd love to go down after the buggers myself once though!

Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 2:22pm

How about this kind of "fish" collecting in Alaska?

ftp://rescuealert.com/pub/icefishing.mpeg

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 4:52pm
     Can we go somewhere where the timid people can just snorkel?
Or maybe you really brave guys could bring up the sea-horses for
me? I'm thinking I need the yellow ones....

I could just hang out on the boat and drink pineapple daiquiris and
work on my fake tan....

Arjen, if a person was going to Florida in the future , would you
know where and how to get some hermits and snails and sea-
horses?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 4:54pm
WAIT! We need Adam! He has these "breathable" bags for the fish!
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 5:03pm
Fantastic clip jared, I'll be chuckling for hours.
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 6:19pm

Suzy,
I have seen hermits and snails in every tide pool I've ever been to.  (that is mostly just California but some Hawaii too)  They live in the cold and tropical tide pools.  What I don't know is if there are regulations about just taking them.

As a boy (-sniff- nostalgia) I must have pryed off hundreds of snail to feed to anemonies.  I guess if I was doing that then taking them to keep them alive can't be worse.  Last time my daughter and I were in Californina we collected a small bucket full of hermits (maybe 100 - 200 crabs) and then dumped them in a big pile and watched them disperse. 

Some one here must know.  Can I walk out on the rocks in Florida or California the leave with bucket of snails and crabs?

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 7:10pm

Jared,

What a laugh!! Thank you!!  We'd definitely both be interested, too.  We each have our Advanced SCUBA certification, so we can go nice & deep.  Saw some HUGE groupers once in Malta (below Italy).

Renee

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
timothyuhl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothyuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 3:23pm

Doesnt Mark Peterson have a connection for a dude down in florida that dives and collects off his boat?  Perhaps he'd be the guy to talk to about something like that.  Might also be nice if live rock could be obtained as well.  The other + about Florida is people can make it a family vacation and hit disney while they're down there.  Obviously not everyone dives.

The other option, is that Neptune Divers (the people who own SeaBase) have divealong trips all the time, and all over the world.  If you could get enough people interested, maybe you could get them to bend the schedule of a dive trip they've got and let you collect a little bit.  I dont know how keen on that they would or wouldnt be, since divers tend to have a "CONSERVE THE CRAP OUT OF THE OCEAN!!" type attitude.  Still, might be worth just asking.  Worst that can happen is they say no.

-Tim

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 5:05pm

We do have some wonderful Neptune Diver employees on this message board.  I'm sure they are up for putting together a trip.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 5:54pm
I hope that Seti007 doesn't mind me chiming in here. He is the person in the club that goes collecting in Florida about three times/year, just got back from another trip two weeks ago btw.

While there this last time, he met "Diver Tom" Adam's bud, but didn't know it at the time!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kd7hfw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kd7hfw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 7:13pm
I was just at Seti007's house a couple of days ago and was talking to him about his recent trip to Florida. I would love to join everybody on a dive trip to Florida .... or maybe the Cayman Islands!
You shouldn't be afraid of noises in the dark.
Anything that wants to cause you harm will stalk you silently.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic