Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A real lawnmower!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A real lawnmower!
    Posted: September 16 2007 at 9:40pm
Lawnmower Blennie that is. What a great fish...it's decimating my hair algae with determination. I have seen these in some of our club members tanks and fell in love with their personalities. A great little fish that minds it's own business and is sure to be one of my favorites.
I have always liked the blennies, Original bi-colored took a jump out of the tank, he was also very cool...always poping his head out of rock crevices checking things out.
Has anyone been sucessful in breeding blennies...any species?  
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 11:09pm
They are wonderful fish with a great personality!

Mike

GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 2:03am
I love the way they pose for the camera...  I think the best fish pics I have taken are on lawnmower blennies...
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 5:51pm
What's really cool is I have him for 3 days now. He sits in front looking at me like I'm the one in the tank....LOL

I had my hands in there kalking some apstesia and he didn't care a bit. He just sat there...a very bold fish if you ask me.
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 1:24pm
I love my LMB. Did you catch the article in the Seastar about them? The writing sucked, but the content was pretty decent.

Edited by Jamison - September 18 2007 at 1:27pm
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 5:35pm

I always enjoy the writing of the owner of the Great White Squimpy.Thumbs%20Up

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 5:56pm
I was actually one of the 3 people that found the writing to be quite entertaining!

Mike

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 2:31am
I loved mine until it decided one day that it wanted to take a tour of the rest of my house. It only got as far as my kitchen floor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 1:45pm
I have added a large one to my algea over run tanks along with a foxface that has a very large belly. In short order they have littelry wiped out the hair algea. I still have some bysprosis and it remains to be seen if they tackle that. It's amazing that they have cleaned the rocks and back glass where all the cleanup critters could'nt make a dent in it. I can actually see all the coraline algae again Its really beautiful to see all that Utah rock in it's glory. I may have to supply some nori in the near future and that beats the hell out of hair algea any day. I finally feel like my tanks are back! 

WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 10:22pm
Let's hope they get after the bryopsis too!

Mike

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 8:29am
While a Lawnmower goods a decent job on it's own, IME you won't find a better algae remover than a good Foxface... it will go after that bryopsis, too - just prune the bryopsis a little (nobody seems to eat it if it is 4 or 5 inches long) and avoid the temptation to feed the tank for a few days...

When my 125 was running about 3 months I had a bad bryopsis outbreak (with a little hair algae thrown in)... added a 4" Foxface and held back on feeding... within 3 days it started to sample the algae; by day 5 1/2 the entire tank had been 'stripped clean' of all the HA and the bryopsis Big%20smile

My Foxface is now over 5" long and is a fat little pig... it could easily devour an entire sheet of nori in one sitting if I allowed it to... my LR stays so well cleaned it looks like it was just added to the tank!

I even thought about "renting out" the little son-of-a-gun to other hobbyists as a "cure" for nuisance algae outbreaks - if I could only catch the fat little wad... LOLLOLLOL  
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 7:00pm
Wow!  I added one and yes...he's decimating the bysposis also. Go Foxy!
I met Fred (Fred and Wilma) at Urban Aquatics this weekend he has been battling the dreaded algae also...I told him of my experience and that it looked like Foxy was starting to tackle bysposis also. 
Between the lawnmower and the foxface it looks like I wil be able to fertilze my lawn in the spring...  they crap like horses...LOL Then I wonder how much gas is released in the tanks. I may try dosing  (Gas-ex)LOL in the future. It my be to much greens in their diet. I did notice my tomato clowns running away and holding their noses.LOL
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 7:32pm
Yes they do "poo" quite a bit!

I have watched my Foxface just "pop them out" in a line along the tank sandbed... then been a little grossed out when my Powder Blue Tang decided to follow the Foxface around and "recycle" his green pellets DeadDeadDead

I think all the herbivores poo a lot. Think of it as hermit / snail food  -

unless you have "poopivores" like my Powder Blue in your tank, too Confused
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Bob Kripfgans Bob Kripfgans wrote:

Wow!  I added one and yes...he's decimating the bysposis also. Go Foxy!
I met Fred (Fred and Wilma) at Urban Aquatics this weekend he has been battling the dreaded algae also...I told him of my experience and that it looked like Foxy was starting to tackle bysposis also. 
Between the lawnmower and the foxface it looks like I wil be able to fertilze my lawn in the spring...  they crap like horses...LOL Then I wonder how much gas is released in the tanks. I may try dosing  (Gas-ex)LOL in the future. It my be to much greens in their diet. I did notice my tomato clowns running away and holding their noses.LOL

LOLLOLLOL

PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 4:53pm
Mine is good even if he is psychotic or rabid. Very much loved by my daughter his name is balonie (balogna) she never could say blennieLOL anyone know of any good sized snowflakes around? sorry to steal the thread man
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic