Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with frogspawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with frogspawn
    Posted: January 23 2003 at 1:59am

I have had my frogspawn now for about 4-5 months.  The last few days the olyps have been shriveled and now the tissue is receding exposing skeleton.   I think about the same time my xenia shrunk, but it looks like it will come back.  The tank has been up and running for about 7-8 months but I have moved the tank about a month ago.  Here are some stats on my tank:

18 gallon acrylic cube with 3 gallon sump integrated

CPR clone skimmer running 24/7

Lighting: 2 x 32 watt (one 10k one actinic) on 12 hours per day.

test results from seachem reef basic test kit, ca test, and hydrometer,

SG 1.024, temp 78 F, pH 8.2, Alk 3 meq, Nitrite 0, Nitrate < 0.1, free ammonia 0, Total Ammonia <0.1, Ca ~470 mg/L.

Other inhabitants:  mushrooms, xenia, woods polyps, yellow star polyps, green star polyps, sarcophyton, galaxia, cabbage. hermits and snails (no fish)

Other than the xenia shrinking and frogspawn deteriorating everything else looks fine.  I don't feed my tank very often since my pepermint shrimp died, just phytoplex once a week or so.

Any ideas?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2003 at 11:30pm

is you galaxia within sweeper tenticle range (about 8 inches) or has you leather shed recently, when leathers shed the stuff that sloughs off is toxic, (so i have read)   either of those are possibilities as well,   i have to isolate my frogspawn    it stings everything within reach.

tyler

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2003 at 12:55pm
My galaxia is up at the top of the tank (about 10 inches) and the frogspawn is close to my sarcophyton and it does shed about every 3 or 4 days.  I hadn't thought of that, thanks!  I would hope my skimmer would pull it out fast enough but it is very possible that I dont have enough flow and the mucous is landing on other things. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic