Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

injured clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jacobse1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobse1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: injured clownfish
    Posted: September 25 2007 at 9:26pm
I have a pair of ocellaris clown fish that had been hosting in a rose BTA.  The anemone kept getting sucked into the wavebox intake so I moved it to the fuge a while back.  Over the weekend, the two clowns started showing interest in a nearby scolymia.  I don't know if that is pertinent or just a red herring.  The following day I noticed the female clown swimming erratically.  Further inspection revealed that the pectoral fins were not moving (?paralysis?) and the clown was just maintaining orientation by moving it's tail.  The eyes and gills show normal movement.  On the left side of the face, the forward most white stripe is somewhat faded with the orange color showing through. This seems to be a new development that coincided with the paralysis. I suppose the clown may have sustained some mechanical injury, but I haven't had any rocks move and the fish is too big to get into the wavebox inlet. I suppose it could have jumped and hit the lights, but that doesn't seem very clown-like. Also both clowns are now avoiding the scolymia making me more suspicious of a sting. The clown is now having a little difficulty getting to food, but does better if I stop the wave action. She was pretty chubby to start with so I think she might last for a while if not indefinitely. 
Any input as to a possible cause-?
PS: All other livestock is behaving normally.
125 g reef
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 10:12pm
No idea!!  Hope she gets better though. .  . 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic