Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elegance Coral

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 1:29am
Tim you are correct to say that no skimmer is the best skimmer, but to say that your tank looks worse after water changes.... that is just nuts!!!   What are you changing your water with? Acid? I also think floaties in the water is food for my corals/fish since my fish eat everything in sight including bubbles. Still I think you are all crazy and wrong. There is obviously only one way to keep a succesful tank and that is my way . No skimmer and lots of fish combined with bi-monthly (monthly if you are feeling lazy) water changes. Did I mention that you have to have t5 too? Cause you do!
60g LPS Cube
Cody Pearce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 8:49am
Dion: No, it was mainly closed up when I bought it.
90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 10:15am
Hey Aaron, you'll be happy to know that I'm currently in the process of purchasing parts for my upcoming 90, and I have been pricing out T5's Big%20smile  Although I do think I'm going to run a skimmer...  Are you running a UV on your tank?
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 10:27am
I did see that elegance open once at todds store....but from the picture you got of it, it looks better in your tank already......I have seen a few that don't have as long of tenticles as others.....

you may just try moving it to a different spot in the tank.....maybe less light/flow....maybe more light/flow....

but the polyp/mouth looked open in that picture....when that coral came in, it looked like a clam with its mouth shut......so again I say it looks alot better in your tank than it did at todds store..

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 11:07am
That was what I was wondering. If it was a long tentacle or short?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
dano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 5:25pm
Looks to me like it's reaching and expanding surface area for light. I used to have one that did the same thing, and my open brain (similar morphology) blows up like that when it's not getting the modest light it needs. Just a thought.
I have nothing interesting to say down here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 1:15pm
Updated pic

90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 1:39pm
I think its a short tentacle elegance. With that in mind its my opinion that it looks good.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 1:54pm

Do you have a picture of another short tentacle elegance?

90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 9:26am
In the first pic it looks irritated to me. And now, with that new pic, I see Protopalythoa and mushrooms next to it. Frankly, it is bothered by it's surroundings. If you aren't running some AC you ought to. And move it at least 3 inches, preferably 6 inches away from all other coral. It wants to expand but cannot because of the stronger stinging coral around it. When it starts enjoying it's surroundings, you may even discover that it has longer tentacles.Shocked I wouldn't worry about feeding it too much at this point. It's too bothered to grow so it needs little food.

Stern%20Smile For those that change water more than monthly I will say again as I have said so many times, you either don't have enough biological filtration or the tank is overstocked with fish. Most young tanks (less than a year old) have not grown enough biological filtration, thus requiring more frequent water changes to alleviate the pollution caused by overstocking. Well lighted Macroalgae helps considerably in this regard.

"scientific proof" LOL Thats funny. Each coral is an individual, or rather a colony of individuals with it's own needs and preferences. Relating this to people, what would happen if you developed relationships only according to scientific evidence? We must be open to what each coral needs and be willing to explore all alternatives, which unfortunately may include not keeping some types of coral because our tanks environment and tankmates cannot give them what they need.

I hope this is making sense.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 12:00pm
I have been running lots of fresh AC.  I'll probably go and change it out again today.  As far as being bothered by tank mates I'm thinking my coral banded might be the one making it upset and not the mushrooms/palys.  I could be wrong and I'll try and move it better so as to not be anywhere near other corals. 

I definetly agree that all corals need their own special attention, but there are certain specifics that many of the same species will have.  Just like we learned that clams prefer metal halides, yet can survive with much less.  You are just taking a chance if you don't have the high lighting.

Here are some new pics as of today.

90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
elegancecoral View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegancecoral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 6:47pm
     I understand if some people don't believe that the problems with Elegance corals are associated with light.  There are many professionals that believe the cause of the problem is a parasitic organism.  There is no known cure for this unknown pathogen.  Hypothetically speaking, if they are correct there is nothing you can do for your Elegance once it begins to show these symptoms.  The swollen polyp and shrunken tentacles would be a sign that your coral has the dreaded pathogen and will die.  Even if one believes this to be true there would be no harm done by reducing the light on a coral that is doomed. 
   It has been a theory for many years that there are two different types or species of Elegance coral.  A long tentacled Elegance with a very powerful sting and a short tentacled Elegance with a week sting.  There is only one species of Elegance.  The size and shape of their tentacles depends on their health and environment.  Venom is very biologically expensive to produce.  If an Elegance becomes ill or short on resources one of the first areas that will be affected is the power of their sting or amount of venom it produces.  I can take any Elegance (providing it is healthy enough to survive) and turn it into an Elegance with long tentacles and a very powerful sting.  I know these are terrible pic's, but they are of the same coral taken about 6 months apart.  The first larger pic shows how short and stubby the tentacles were.  The second pic shows that the tentacles are about twice as long.  They are even longer today. 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 7:05pm
Welcome elegancecoral!

Mike

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 7:49pm
Hi Darrell, So is it lost or not. If short tentacles are a sign of having this problem then how can you "fix" it? I'm really interested in how you've done this?
Bad "censored" Cabinets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 10:06pm
I'm using my reef tour plastic sign, so as to block all the light coming directly perpendicular to the elegance. Here are the pics after having lights on for 7hours.

Not the best of pics, but the coral definetly looks much better.  If the coral swells up during the night again I'm going to remove the coral banded shrimp to see if that is pestering it to influence some of the swelling.

90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 11:03pm
That IS looking a lot better.Thumbs%20Up

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

That IS looking a lot better.Thumbs%20Up

Mike

I still got my fingers crossed. Smile
90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
elegancecoral View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegancecoral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 7:56am
  Thanks Mike.

Cody, That slime on your Elegance with the detritus in it may need to be removed.  A gentle wave of your hand over the coral is enough to remove it.  If it is left alone it can choke the coral off from the surrounding water and add to its problems.  It will most likely be back the next morning, though.  Every morning for the next few days to a week the coral will have this slime on it.  If it is removed every morning and the lighting is no longer causing problems the coral will stop producing this slim and begin the long healing process. 

Holdencraft33, I wouldn't say that his coral is lost.  It is in very bad shape and will be very sensitive for a long time to come.  The Elegance I posted pictures of here went through the same thing that Cody's Elegance is going through.  I didn't expect Cody to put the effort he has into saving this coral.  If he keeps going the way he is he may just pull this coral through.  I will get to your other question later today.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 9:34am
Thanks Darrell,
I'm very interested in your thoughts and experiences. The track record with these coals is so sad that it would be nice to have another avenue to pursue in the care and long term survival of them.
Bad "censored" Cabinets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 9:50am
Thanks Darrell,

I pretty sure the coral would have been long gone by now without your help. This morning there was no swelling and actually had reduced in size from the pic above. I'll remove the detrius/slime stuff when I get home tonight or call my wife and have her do it.
90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic