Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Algae I.D.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algae I.D.
    Posted: March 14 2004 at 5:29pm

Can anyone identify the name of this algae for me?  It is slow growing, and looks interesting.  Currently growing in our main tank.

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 5:30pm
2nd picture - it wouldn't let me do both in one go.
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 6:09pm
Halimeda?
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 6:55pm

I believe Suzy's on it(aka, cactus algae)... is it more rigid than flexible?Could also be Dictyota(aka, y branch algae)... can't see well enough to see definition in shapes. Lastly, could also be a Sargassum variety of kelp. The only one that can become a nuisance is the Dictyota if unmanaged. All are o.k. for the display tank...(IMO). I've just taken a closer look and I'm now leaning towards y branch.    Laters, Jason

Edited by reptoreef
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 7:33pm
Actually, it's not dictyota.  We've got dictyota in our sump - Adam and Mark identified it for us.  This algae has wide, long leaves.  Not sure if you can tell it from the pix, but it's a light brownish green.  I think we need to increase our aquatic library.   Smile    I'm sure that would help.  We borrowed a book from the WMAS library that was great with algae, but gave it back.
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 6:36am
Originally posted by reptoreef reptoreef wrote:

...could also be a Sargassum variety of kelp. ...can become a nuisance...
Reptoreef hit it right on there. Though Jason didn't exactly say it like that, I edited the quote to point out that it also can become a nusiance if left unchecked. I had a crop of it once across the entire top rock of a 180. The hero herbivore was a Naso Tang. Unfortunately, soon after the Sargassum/Kelp was all eaten, the Tang died of starvation. (That was a few years ago, before I knew about Nori/Seaweed Leather )

Personally, I love the look of that algae, especially when it gets a foot long so keep it growing Renee!

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic